News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Protector of the Small series

Started by Shinella, September 27, 2011, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shinella

Anyone read these books? I love them :)
Yesterday is history... Tomorrow is a mystery... Today is a gift... and that's why its called - The Present...

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Icefire

I've read them! Definitely a series for girls.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Lily

Haha, Icefire, your comment about the book being for girls amused me, so I decided to look them up. I wondered what on Earth they could be like to deserve that emphasis for girls, and then I realised they were by Tamora Pierce. I get it now. ;) I've only read one of the Alanna books, is the rest of her stuff worth checking out? I know my friend really loves her books, so I was thinking of trying them out anyway.

winifred

Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Icefire

I'm not allowed to read the Alanna books and probably wouldn't read them even if allowed.
In answer to Winifred's question, The Song of the Lioness (Alanna) series is about a girl named Alanna who wants to be a Knight. Because girls aren't allowed to be Knights, she switches places with her brother (who wants to be a magician) and pretends to be a boy....which makes for some awkward scenes. The first book is called "Alanna: The First Adventure" (what an original title!)
I liked Protector of the Small (for girls). It's about a girl named Kel who plans to become a Knight. I loved that aspect of it. However, younger girls should ask their mothers to read it first to make sure it's alright for them to read....and your gonna want to ask her to read both of the first two. The for girls stuff doesn't really start until the second book. BTW the first book is called "The First Test"
My favorite series by Tamora Pierce is the Immortals Series. A little more guy friendly...
I also like Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen. However, if you read those books, skip chapter 17 of Trickster's Queen. That chapter totally ruined the series for me.

Lily

OK, that's it, I'm going to read them and figure out this for girls business.

Plugg Firetail

Yes these books are definitely not for guys.

Icefire

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I would never let my brothers read them!!!
Circle of Magic and the Circle Opens might be safer, but I've only read the first book of each series. :P

Lily

I finished the first book! I don't really get this for girls business, it seems like standard Tamora Pierce to me. Granted, most of her work is aimed at girls. Apparently I have to read the second book to understand why it's for girls. However, that is going to have to wait, because I got my copy of The Sending today and that is going to take up all of my reading time. XD

Icefire

Quote from: Lily on November 07, 2011, 11:45:57 AM
I finished the first book! I don't really get this for girls business, it seems like standard Tamora Pierce to me. Granted, most of her work is aimed at girls. Apparently I have to read the second book to understand why it's for girls. However, that is going to have to wait, because I got my copy of The Sending today and that is going to take up all of my reading time. XD
Yeah, the first book is very guy safe! It starts getting to the for girls in the second and third book. The fourth book was ok I think!

Lily

I'm resurrecting this topic because I finished The Sending and started on Page.

OHHHH, I get the for girls stuff now. I don't think there'd be any harm in boys reading them if they're mature enough, but I do agree, youger boys would probably find it a rather uncomfortable read!

Icefire

That's also why I said younger girls should have their mothers read the second and third books before the girls themselves read them. I probably wouldn't have been allowed to read them when I was younger and I don't think my sister should read them yet.

Coobreedan

What is this whole for girls thing? You seem to be avoiding mentioning it....*Eyes at Icefire curiously*
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Plugg Firetail

Coobreedan, well....I'm not sure if it's appropriate. I'm certainly not bringing it up.