News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Juska

Started by Tiria Wildlough, October 07, 2011, 07:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

I think the Juska are kind of strange, the way they believe in signs and omens. And they are quite well spoken or a tribe of savages, which is weird.
Too, they had this rule that only the creature who killed the previous Taggerung could take his place. Which makes me wonder if Ruggan Bor ever had another Taggerung. :D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

Ruggan was an idiot, despite his weird staring technique.  :P I loved the tribal tattoos that they had, though, such as the Juskabor facial tattoos:

And of course, the Juskarath tattoos as well:
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

The Juska might well be one of my favorite group of vermin, perhaps after small bands and gangs.
A roaming nomadic traditional group of fighters is pretty cool, and inspired my short Tale of Argadlea, which is rather Mongolian in the end, at least in weaponry and armour.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Nightfire

I always liked how they were well spoken and had a strict code of...well, not honor, but something kinda similar.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Plugg Firetail

What happened to the juska?In taggerung it is said that the juska roamed around mossflower.Did they just die out?

Log-a-Log

I kind of liked Ruggan. I think he had more leadership than most vermin leaders
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Lutra

Perhaps the clan of Juska was based on some ancient group like the Mongols hordes.  Both travel, have strict codes, have strong leadership, have consequences for poor actions, and are pretty darn scary if you're facing them.  ;)  This seemed like a very organized group of baddies...not something you see a lot of in Redwall...always seem to be buffoons or dimwits.  Not the Juska.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Romsca

I thought the Juska were supposed to be Gypsies

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on October 07, 2011, 03:33:55 PM
The Juska might well be one of my favorite group of vermin, perhaps after small bands and gangs.
Mine would probably be Badredd's gang

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Romsca

Quote from: Tam and Martin on December 05, 2012, 06:44:38 PM
Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on October 07, 2011, 03:33:55 PM
Mine would probably be Badredd's gang
Me too! Although I liked Skrodd better than Badredd

Orinoco

The other day I was skimming through Taggerung, and I realized just how much I love the Juska. For vermin, they were very well organized, with strict codes to follow. Maybe I felt an attachment to them because, well, I and the Juska are so alike! I'm not incredibly superstitious, but I keep an eye out for signs and omens. You never know, they could really mean something! (In fact, if I were to be apart of the Redwall universe, I would most likely be in a Juska clan.)

I would have loved to read more about the Juska, but they seemed to have disappeared by the next book.

"My turtleneck is irresistible."   - Adam Young

Romsca

That's one of the reasons I think they're Gypsies. They must move around a lot. By the next book, they could be very far from Redwall Abbey

Lutra

Gypsies typically aren't murderous as the Juska have been described.  I still feel they resemble Mongolian tribes because of the strict rule and the ruthlessness within the tribes.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Romsca

yeah but did they have fortune tellers and come over to Europe (represented by Mossflower Woods?)

Lutra

While that may be true, the other characteristics of the Juska clans do not match what is typical for a gypsy.  On your same logic, I could say Mongolian hordes moved west, and conquered lands in Europe.  With no real restriction on religion or spirits, any Mongolian clan could believe whatever spirit existed without punishment.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra