News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Childrens' Books

Started by James Gryphon, October 21, 2011, 10:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

I assume, given that this is a Redwall forum, that everyone here has graduated to reading high-level fiction, but if you can remember them, what kind of books did you like when you were a little kid, say, 2-6?

Some (not all) of my favorites, not organized by any particular age range:

« Subject to editing »

DanielofRedwall

I didn't use to like it, as I never read it when I was really young, but then I did later on and now I love Where the Wild Things Are. It's so simple, but so beautiful.
I remember one of my favourites was Happy Birthday, Moon. My Mum used to read it to me.
I loved Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day?, and still like it as it has lots of jokes that would fly over little kid's heads, but adults would get, even though they aren't rude.
I really enjoyed the Tales from Trotter Street  (I can't find a good link), especially "Wheels" and "Angel Mae".
I loved any Doctor Seuss books.
Clifford the Big Red Dog, Play School books, I liked them all, really, but these were my favourites.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Nightfire

I liked the Adventures of Reddy the Fox, as well as Peter Rabbit and...dun dun da dunnnn....Winnie the Pooh! The original book is every bit as great as the cartoons.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Plugg Firetail

I never actually read childrens books. The earliest book I didn't have to read is the first Harry Potter.

Folgrimeo

The books I can remember (excluding really young books like Where the Wild Things Are):

- The Indian in the Cupboard: I've forgotten everything about this book, but my 2nd/3rd-grade teacher in elementary school gave it to me when I was in the E.R. I liked it and went on to read two other books in its series too.

- Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher: I only read it for Tiamat the dragon. It was great when Tiamat was young, a small red dragon resting on Jeremy's desk, sipping milk from a saucer. Then she had to grow up which got rid of all the cuteness, but still.

- Shiloh: Don't remember a thing about it. As is typical, we read the book and then saw the movie. Or was it the other way around? In any case I like it when a book focuses on an animal.

- The Trumpet of the Swan: I love Louis and his journey to win over his girlfriend. I particularly liked the illustrations of the original edition (the one with Louis tugging Sam's shoelace on the cover). It was the book assignment for second grade in elementary school. Liked it so much that I read it in a couple days, then had to pretend I didn't read the later chapters when keeping pace with the rest of the class. Cared a lot for that swan.

And then of course, later on in life I'd read most of the Harry Potter series (first few books were good, the rest were a bore), plus the whole Redwall series (has its ups and downs, but overall an excellent series).

Lutra

Basically anything that's been listed above I've read in some shape or form at some time in life.  They actually all jogged my memory because I couldn't remember many at all on my own.  :P
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Gonff

I'm going to copy some of yours James. It's hard for me to forget because I have two younger brothers who are still partially in that level of reading.

A lot of Dr. Seuss especially:Green Eggs and Ham, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day I don't think I really read this when I was younger, but my brothers get it out of the library all the time now.
The Frog and Toad series One of my favorites!
Little Bear

Getting into a little bit older category:
The Boxcar children
The Seven Sleepers

And a lot, lot more.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Skalrag of Marshank

Quote from: Nightfire on October 21, 2011, 10:41:45 PM
I liked the Adventures of Reddy the Fox, as well as Peter Rabbit and...dun dun da dunnnn....Winnie the Pooh! The original book is every bit as great as the cartoons.

Oh my goodness, when I was little, my parents would read the Reddy Fox books to us before bed. My favorites were definitely Reddy Fox and Grandfather Frog. ;D
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Nightfire

I loved the story where Reddy Fox learned about crossing the train bridge. I always thought that Granny Fox was hilarious and cunning. Such wonderful memories...
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Redwall Musician

I still read childrens' books to my younger siblings. :D Some of my favorites are (No order, except the 1st one is my all time favorite. I've got it memorized  :-\) :

Little Rabbit Foo Foo
The Great Redwall Feast
A Redwall's Winters Tale
Frog and Toad Books
Little Critter Books
Clifford the Big Red Dog Books
Frogy Series
Winnie-the-Pooh
House at Pooh Corner

I'm sure I'll think of some more later.  ;)
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Skalrag of Marshank

Quote from: Nightfire on October 22, 2011, 09:40:28 PM
I loved the story where Reddy Fox learned about crossing the train bridge. I always thought that Granny Fox was hilarious and cunning. Such wonderful memories...

Heehee. Rereading those books now, they remind me of a certain fox and his mother...
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Matthias720

*Matthias720 faints from nostalgia overload*

Nightfire

Hahaha!!! :D Do ye need some straberry cordial to wake ye up?

I always loved the stories of Ramona Quimby and her sister, Beezus.

Firehawke

I love children's books!  In fact, that's pretty much all I read (I find books written for adults a bit boring.  I drove my teachers nuts all of the time because my pleasure reading was always below my reading level  :D )

I'm listening to "Wizard of Oz" right now!
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Muse

Sendak is the most fantastic... I cant say it. I grew up to him. This is extremely embarrasing, but when I was really little, my mom had to go on a work trip. She had to record hereslf reading Where the Wild Things are or else I would never go to sleep.
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse