News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

"Yippip!" snapped Syccidth, kicking the smaller rat. "You and Inyoni go down. Fight, cowards!"

Maxy watched for way too long, on his back, his mouth gaping, clueless of what to do.
What's Brack doing?! Why does he hate him so much?!
"Stop it," he mouthed, blue eyes flicking around in his skull as his paw felt around for his sword. Fastooth seemed to be failing. Soon, he would fall to the blade of the warrior.

Maxy ground his teeth in anger. He wouldn't lose a friend- not again. Without thinking, he pulled his blade from his belt loop and charged his brother, yowling at the top of his lungs.

--

"Y...Yes." Rapshade looked up in shock and bobbed his head with vigor.
"Whatever needs t' be done, Marm. I'll do it all. I can learn," he pleaded. The only way he could ever come close to making up for the lives he stole would be by trying to save them.

LT Sandpaw

"Nonono!" Yippip squealed, clinging to the tree-branch with all four paws, his eyes shut tight. "Yip die'a, killa by big madbeasts. Ayyyeeee!" He dug his claws into the bark, cringing away from his chieftain's kicks but refusing to enter the melee.

Below them the duel between Bracklew and Fastooth took a turn for the worse for the rat. Stumbling over a tree root he slammed his back into a tree, his forays parried aside with ease. Bracklew stood over the near vanquished rodent, pulling back his arm to plunge his sword through the vermin's heart. Then somebeast yowled, a cry so full of pain and fear Bracklew hesitated, his sword hovering between strike and feint. Turning his head the grief and anger in Bracklew's soul melted into shocked relief. He gaped, confused but happy, but only for a moment. "Max!?"

"Mate stop!" Fastooth leapt forward but he was too late, Maxy's sword sank into Bracklew's chest, the force of the young squirrel's charge digging it deep between the warrior's ribs.

Bracklew had felt steel before, the bite of the cold blade, the spasm of his body as blood seeped around the steel firmly encased within his flesh, the weakness in his limbs as his muscles loosened. But never at the paws of someone he loved, nor so serious. Martin's sword slipped from his paw and he collapsed forward onto his knees, holding Maxy's arm for stability. The questioning look of betrayal in his eyes, followed by something else, very distinct and all consuming. Fear. "I don't want to die." He whispered slumping over, caught just before he hit the ground by Fastooth. The rat shook him, yelling something as the world faded into swirling darkness.

~*~*~*~

She thought for a long time over Rapshade's request, mulling over the many variables that would no doubt accompany his assistance to her. Moreover, she wondered why. What would compel the ferret to request tutorage under her over any other task the Redwallers attended to every day? She'd considered him a creature without purpose, perhaps he wanted something to stir his idle paws, or something else? "I can speak with Abbot Grant." She said at last. "If you are willing to make yourself useful aiding me, I see no reason why Grant wouldn't agree. We'll talk in the morning." With one last kind smile, Rayne took her leave, thinking over all the strange and recent happenings of the last few days.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

"Stay and Yip die'a, killa by me!" Syccidth snarled, continuing to kick the smaller rat. "Go in, fight!"

--

Maxy yelled, too, grabbing for Bracklew's collar with clammy paws, the pandemonium behind him fading into a haze not wanting of attention.
He hadn't meant this. He'd thought that Bracklew would turn around and counter him, and that the fight would stop, that he could knock his brother away from Fastooth... not that he would stab him.
Now, looking dizzily at his brother's face, he screamed for his dad.

--

Duncan pulled his sword out of a rat when Maxy's wail hit his ear.
Worriedly, he glanced at Gruddil, barking "That's my son! Hold them off!" before turning and racing into the melee.

--

Rapshade nodded, surprise, but not hope, in his eyes.
He watched her go and then pulled the blanket over his shoulders and clamped his eyes shut, but something in the air didn't feel right.

LT Sandpaw

Twisting away from a rat's spear point, Gruddil glanced angrily over his shoulder at the withdrawing hare. "We have them!" He shouted, dodging his opponent and skewering the rat on his rapier. "We need to press our attack while they're off balance and vulnerable." Despite Gruddil's insistence that he remain and finish the fight Duncan vanished, retreating towards the sound of Maxy's cries, several Redwallers following him. Beside Gruddil a shrew gurgled, a spear through her throat, she was one of his nieces, a pretty and fierce young battler. Off to his left a young hedgehog named Burban screamed in agony, his headspikes crushed into his skull by a club. He was an older creature, well liked and respected by all.

This isn't even our fight. The shrew chieftain grabbed his fallen niece by her tail, dragging her body with him. How many of mine must die for a 'friend' who won't even finish his own battle? Gruddil ground his teeth, sheathing his sword and throwing the dead shrew's body over his shoulder. "Get the wounded, gather the fallen, retreat! Retreat back to the logboats!"

The Guosim, and remaining Redwall warriors seemed confused by this order, but they followed it, collecting their dead and beating an orderly withdrawal back through the trees to where the boats were hidden, fighting back the tree-rats as they went.

~*~*~*~

From his vantage point Yippip saw a distinct turn in the fighting, as the shrews and Redwallers vanished, falling back from whence they came. Squirming away from Syccidth's kicks he snatched a spear waving it wildly over his head. "Yip go'n fight 'em now. Me be brave n' win battle, you see chief!" Scurrying down the tree Yippip joined in the jeering, throwing twigs and stones at the beaten enemy, all the while glancing over his shoulder to see that Syccidth was watching and seeing how brave he was being.

~*~*~*~

Fastooth pressed his paws into Bracklew's chest, warm blood pooling around them, staining the warrior's jerkin. It was dark and oozing, and not a lot, a good sign. In most instances Fastooth would have deemed the afflicted lost, never to recover from a chest wound like that. A quick knife across the throat would be more merciful then the days of agonizing pain before the rot set in and the inevitable occurred. But he'd heard of the magic healers from Redwall, all the creatures of Mossflower knew of them. He'd been treated by an older mouse there for his own scratches only a few hours before. That and Maxy looked devastated, and the old rouge owed that young squirrel his life and more.

"Listen here ya' stupid treemouse." Fastooth growled to the unconscious Bracklew, putting even more pressure on the wound. "Yer gonna bloody live, fer yer brother ye got that? Bloody live damn you. Max, give me something ter stuff the wound, a shirt, dirt, anything!"

Ashleg

"Oh, it's no use," Maxy sobbed. "He's dying."

Duncan slashed his way through the foliage and fighters and up to his son.
"Maxy... Bracklew!" The old hare slid to his knees, crouching down beside Maxy and Fastooth while he scooped Bracklew's head up in his paws. "What happened?!"

Maxy's lip trembled. "I... I... Accident..."

Duncan pulled a handkerchief from his coat and stuffed it in Bracklew's wound. Behind him, he could hear the rats jeering and the Woodlanders fleeing.
What have we done?
"Help me carry him," he ordered Fastooth, sticking his arms through Bracklew's. "Grab him by the ankles. We need to get him back to Redwall as quickly as bally possible. I won't let him die on us."

LT Sandpaw

Nodding Fastooth obediently took ahold of Bracklew's ankles, the two of them lifting the squirrel between them easily enough. Glancing around he noticed the forgotten sword, and Maxy's devastated face. Thinking quickly Fastooth jerked his head towards Martin's sword, issuing stern instructions to his friend. "Max mate, dry yer eyes get that sword there, no need leaving a fine blade like that fer th' tree-scum. Keep us safe why don't ye, and make sure none o' them runts get near yer brother here while we're carryin' him. Last thing we need is to be peppered by their darts n' nonsense while we're lugging th' wounded around." As if to emphasize his point a stray pebble flew from the tree line knocking the rodent in his skull. Glaring in the direction of his assailant Fastooth muttered a few choice words under his breath. This was the third time his plans had been foiled by these runty vermin. They were proving to be a greater challenge then he'd originally expected when he had first encountered them. They hurried across the no-beast's land, stones and sticks bouncing off trees and into foliage all around them, passing the retreating shrews as they prepared to launch their boats.

"Ahoy, Duncan, rat." Gruddil shouted waving them down. "Get aboard an' we'll transport ye back closer to Redwall, allow yer wounded off their paws," His eyes widened when he recognized who it was they were carrying. "Great fates n' summer gales be that Bracklew? How in the blazes did he go down?" 

Ashleg

Maxy clambered into the boat and sat there silently, Martin's sword on his lap.
"I stabbed him," he said, teeth gritted in anger. "Never, never on purpose... but I stabbed him."

Duncan was unable to think of words to ask Maxy, but he knew he hadn't heard the whole story, and not once did he doubt the words of the young squirrel. Maxy would never intentionally try to hurt Bracklew.

LT Sandpaw

It was a solemn procession that arrived at the gates of Redwall, weary, bloodstained, and defeated. Hours before the Guosim deposited them on the riverbank, closest to the path, donating a number of paddles and spears and belts to be used as makeshift stretchers for the dead and wounded. Petu led the march back, his face stony and emotionless. He never drifted far from Bracklew's stretcher, his injured friend remaining unconscious, only stirring briefly in a fevered dream. The rabbit had maintained his silence ever since Maxy told of his part in the squirrel's affliction, only giving the occasional word of encouragement to the suffering, or guiding an exhausted Redwaller back onto the path.

Dawn was just starting to break when they at last arrived home, the high roof appearing through the trees, followed by the bell tower, and lastly the walls and western gate. Numerous sighs of relief could be heard as the fatigued creatures realized their long, painful walk was finally over and their beds awaited just inside. Striding up to the gates Petu beat on them with his dagger hilt, yelling so he might be heard by the gatekeeper.
   "Returning Redwallers, with wounded who need treating! Open up the gates!"

He stepped away, waiting for a face to appear over the wall, or the gates to creak open.

Ashleg

A very tired and pale-looking Abbot Grant pushed the gates open, Fangfang lingering with a curious look and far more energy behind him.
"Petu! How many are wounded? Fang, go get Rayne- tell her to get the infirmary ready for the injured- you can do that, right?"
Fang nodded and ran off, so Grant turned back to Petu and stared out among the crowd, noticing first Duncan and Maxy, with shadows hanging over both of their faces, and then at last Bracklew's stretcher.
When he saw this, his ears drooped in shock.
"Get in, fast," he ordered the party. "You know where the sickbay is."

Fangfang vaulted up the stairs and stumbled to a stop outside Rayne's bedroom door, which he rapped on loudly. "Hey, Marm, th' warriors are back, methinks, Grant said t' git the... sickbay ready, they've got wounds."

LT Sandpaw

Wiping his brow the rabbit Petu took a moment to think, trying to make his tired brain function. "Six – no five wounded now Father Abbot. Four dead, and as you saw Bracklew's in a bad way." He reported each casualty and the respective seriousness, sounding miserable through every word. "The mission was a failure as well. We were winning but it all went downhill so fast. Log-a-log called a retreat and we found Bracklew'd been wounded by..." He paused, not sure where to go on or not. He lowered his voice, muttering into Grant's ear. "Maxy stabbed Bracklew, he charged and gutted him. Though he claims it was accidental. I don't know how you charge and stab somebeast accidentally. I think that rat was involved somehow, I just know it."

Petu glared in open hostility at Fastooth as he trundled past, helping carry Bracklew's litter up towards the infirmary. "He's playing it off pretending he's helping. He's clever that one, and with Bracklew down... I don't like it one bit Grant."

Fastooth ignored the glowering rabbit, pretending he hadn't heard the whispered conversation between them. He might've been getting old, but his ears were just as sharp as they were the day he was born.

~*~*~*~

Rubbing sleep from her eyes Rayne sprinted over to the door, pulling her apron on over her nightgown. "Thank you for telling me Fang," she darted over to the corner and snatched a bucket pressing it into the simple rat's paws. "I need you to run down to the pond and fill this with water, bring it straight back here once it's full, and try not to spill a drop."

Seeing Fangfang out the door the mouse healer strode over to one of the beds and shook Rapshade awake, inserting a key into the manacle holding his paw and unlatching him. "You wanted to assist me Rappy?" She asked gently, showing him the opened bindings. "I need a hot fire built in the hearth, and for you to prepare a few cauterizing rods and a pot of boiling water, Fang has gone to fetch water. Hurry now, there are wounded creatures being brought up soon."

Ashleg

Grant stared at Fastooth's receding form, lost for words and lost for thought.
Maxy stabbed Bracklew? And Fastooth was involved? How? He knew he should have called the attack off right as it was suggested. He had the power to stop everything, and now he was to blame for all this destruction.
The old mouse appeared then to be smaller and more tired than he had ever been.
He gave Petu a wary look and pointed with his paw to the doors.
"Once we get everybeast inside... I will speak to Maxy myself. Let us not point claws and name names..."

Duncan marched past, his jaw set grimly, with Maxy's drooping form trailing regretfully after him.

The Abbot watched the procession feed into Redwall, then nodded once to Petu and hurried towards the door, bumping into Fangfang as the little yellow rat tried to squeeze past.
"Great goodness Father h'Abbot!" Fang exclaimed in his shrill voice. "What's all that goin' on in there? Five creatures a'sleepin', or are they dead? Ain't seen deadbeasts in years! Had t' dance 'round the soldiers, I did, they were takin' up th' whole hall--..."
"Bracklew isn't dead," Grant snapped. He pointed at the bucket. "Were you supposed to fill that for Rayne? Go on, then!"
Fangfang raised his eyes in confusion, glanced at the bucket, uttered an "oh yes," and hastened past him.

--

Rapshade came awake to find himself nose-to-nose with Rayne, and he almost let out a scream.
Instead, he mumbled. "Wha...?"
He sat up.
The open shackle, the good feeling around his wrist... and Rayne spouting orders. His wish had been granted, with his sleep as payment, apparently.
The former pirate groggily hauled himself off the bed. "I can do the fire an' the water," he yawned, rubbing his eyes. "But I don't know what a... cat-rising rod is."

LT Sandpaw

"Cauterizing irons," Rayne corrected, pointing towards a row of blackened metal rods stacked neatly on her medical shelf. "To seal wounds with heat. It'll make sure no rot sets in, and a large gash will be closed by the burns. It's painful, but the most effective way of ensuring a large wound stays shut. We probably only need two." Rayne scurried from one item to the next, laying out different pastes, bandages, potions, and tools on her trays and setting them next to the beds. Fang neglected to mention just how many wounded there were, or how serious. Instead she prepared for every eventuality she could think of. Arterial bleeds were the most serious, followed by gut wounds and concussions, lacerations, and puncture wounds, the latter three being the most common after battle.

~*~*~*~

Following the Abbot and others inside Petu brushed past the collected greeters and returning warriors, making a bee-line for Duncan and Maxy. "Go hang that sword up in the Great Hall, and wait there for the Abbot." He ordered, giving Maxy a sad look, making sure the young squirrel did as he was told before turning to face Duncan. "I spoke with Grant already, he wants to question your son himself, before any paws get pointed. I wanted to ask you first though, if you know what happened? I can't believe that Maxy would nearly kill his own brother intentionally, but it doesn't make any sense that this would occur on accident... There's something more going on, has Maxy by any chance explained himself further?"

Ashleg

Rapshade knelt by the hearth and took a fragment of flint in his paw, going about trying to start a fire.
"I jus' stick 'em in there, then?" asked the ferret groggily. "Th' irons, Marm."
Wake up. She'll think you're no good if you fall into the fire.

--

Maxy rushed off to the Great Hall in a blur of white fur, glad to get away from everybeast. His eyes stung, and he couldn't catch a proper breath. What would Stumbly think, if she were still alive? He hadn't meant to stab Bracklew, yet he was paying for it. He felt the gazes of many following him the whole way back, and Petu's face gave him no solace.
He dropped his sword and sunk down in a seat at the table furthest away from the door, burrowing his face in his arms.
He let out a scream.

--

"No," Duncan said, glaring at Petu hard enough to wither an apple. "Maxy is a good kid. He'd never purposely hurt family. I know that."
His face relaxed, but the march hare could not do much else but stare grimly towards the stairs as the fit creatures carried the wounded, including Bracklew, up to the infirmary.
"Curse the idiot who put the sickbay upstairs."

Fangfang came running past him, spilling water as he did so.
He slipped among the crowd and disappeared up the stairs.

Duncan's nose twitched. Abbey idiot... speak of the devil.

LT Sandpaw

"In the coals," Rayne answered shortly focusing on her own work. "Where the fire is hottest."

The first of the wounded were ushered in, those who could walk on their own, or with support. They were already trussed up in bandages so Rayne directed them to beds, deeming they were the least urgent cases. Then came the stretchers, the first carrying a young shrew who sat sweating upon the uncomfortable belts holding him in place, a tourniquet tied tight around his upper thigh. He looked pale from blood loss, and his paws were shivering almost uncontrollably.

"Arterial bleed," Rayne said recognizing the signs instantly, pointing towards the nearest bed. "Place him here and get him warm, the other..." She gasped, a lump forming in her throat as she saw who was resting in the second stretcher. "Brack...?"

The squirrel warrior was unconscious, his chest a pattern of crisscrossed bandages with blood staining through. Rayne hesitated, shocked that her one time apprentice now fearsome Abbey Warrior lay still as death before her. His breaths came raggedly, as if he was struggling to breathe, he was still alive then at the very least. Still, it didn't seem right, they were fighting poorly equipped tree rats, and yet he bore the unmissable signs of a blade wound. "Rappy, get those irons ready fast." Rayne said, nodding at the bed equipped with manacles and leather bindings, made just for this purpose. Fastooth and the other litter bearer shuffled in that direction, gently rolling Bracklew onto the bed. "I need them now."

~*~*~*~

"Except he did..." Petu muttered, watching Duncan's receding back coldly. No, it didn't make sense that Maxy would suddenly, and inexplicably take up arms and attempt to murder his brother. Unless he was pushed, one way or the other into doing so by another. Turning on his heel the rabbit marched resolutely into the Great Hall ready to interrogate Maxy himself and get answers at that moment when a scream rang out, echoing throughout the Hall. Surprised Petu leapt forward, darting into the hall and glancing around but unable to see Maxy sitting across the room through the gloom.

"Who was that?" Petu called, peering into the twilit Hall. "Was that you Maxy? Are you alright?"

Ashleg

Rapshade did as told without question or comment or even daring to steal a glance in Bracklew's direction. He let every creature come and go without so much as blinking at them.
What's taking Fang so long?
"Got that water!" the rat's voice rang out, and Rapshade turned. Fangfang rushed into the room as clumsily as ever and held the bucket out to Rayne, then noticed Rapshade and instead offered it to him.
"Whatcha doin', Rappy?"
"Helping." Rapshade hung the bucket above the fire. "Thank you, please go."
Fang looked dejected, but the ferret, grappling with the hot irons, ushered him out. Then he limped over to Rayne. "Here."

--

"I'm fine," Maxy snapped, whirling around to glare at Petu. "You're not the Abbot. I saw how you were looking at me as we came back here. Did you think I wouldn't notice? You don't even like me. Leave me alone!"