News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Skyblade

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, Mhera. I know you're self-controlled and know what you're doing ^^ I just fear a massive debate in this thread and want to do what I can to prevent one.

Schools are different and my sympathy goes out to those who dislike their educational system. I hope you find the right place for you. If you haven't done so already, maybe try talking to your parents?

Great point too, Plugg.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Mhera

Quote from: Skyblade on March 11, 2015, 08:58:21 PM
I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, Mhera. I know you're self-controlled and know what you're doing ^^ I just fear a massive debate in this thread and want to do what I can to prevent one.
No need to be sorry. Given my past track record, I can see why you said what you did and there was absolutely nothing wrong with that. :)

Quote from: PluggFiretail on March 11, 2015, 02:36:45 PM
That is one of the many beautiful things about stories and poems: you can interpret them in a countless number of ways.
That's what annoys me :P

The Mask

Quote from: Banya on March 11, 2015, 07:57:21 PM
@Mask: I'm sorry you dislike your school but feel stuck in it.  Your school seems like a contradiction.  I hope you have some great friends to be through it all with you.
Thanks Banya! Thankfully I do have some good friends so that helps.

@Mhera and Plugg. The only thing I hate even more is how English teachers will go on and on about some plot device that everyone got straight away. We're not that stupid ;)
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Banya

Quote from: Mhera on March 11, 2015, 09:18:39 PM
Quote from: PluggFiretail on March 11, 2015, 02:36:45 PM
That is one of the many beautiful things about stories and poems: you can interpret them in a countless number of ways.
That's what annoys me :P

That's what I love.  One solid answer, as in math, isn't enough; even the most complex problem isn't captivating, and if I can't find the single answer I'm upset with myself.  With prose and poetry, there is always more than one answer; there are always other ways of looking at something.

Wylder Treejumper

There is only one right way to do things: my way. ;D
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Mhera

A conversation from English class:

Me: "I'm having trouble grasping any symbolism in this story."
Teacher: "Okay, we can work on that. Who knows what the beach represents?"
Other student: "Childhood!"
Teacher: "Absolutely right!" *looks at me* "You don't get that at all, do you?"
Me: "I thought the beach represented a beach..."

Math, please ::)

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: Mhera on March 12, 2015, 02:28:13 PM

I can totally relate except I was homeschooled and my mother was a lot less sensitive.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Mhera

I've always been homeschooled; this is just a once per week class I go to.

And the teacher is very understanding unless she learns you did all of your homework the night before class. Then all students get a no-nonsense speech about effort and procrastination :P.

James Gryphon

I didn't do anything in school better than procrastinate.

Even in my college courses, I regret to say, I haven't done much better. I actually failed my first attempt at a college dev-math course (which I was doing online) because I kept putting off the work on it that I should have done.

My second attempt at it, I went to classes in person, which really helped me. I still ended up phoning it in the last part of the course, but I made it that far, instead of falling behind after a week. Still, the multiple-choice test at the end is what saved me. I didn't have enough skill to do every problem, but I could do it well enough to tell which answer (out of 4) looked right, so I still got a good grade.

So, the moral of the story: don't procrastinate. But if you do, at least make sure that your final test is multiple-choice first. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Luftwaffles

My teacher was exactly like that... So I can relate.

It is frustrating, isn't it?

I remember that time when we were reading "Los Arboles Mueren de Pié" (a precious piece of literature) and, at the time, I couldn't think of any reason of why to look deeper than the author's own words. The guy was trying to be as direct as possible and, yet, my teacher would always put the reading on halt just to invent meanings.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Wylder Treejumper

Yay! That is totally me.

Far to often I get this feeling that English teachers put more meaning into the book than the authors meant. Way more. I mean, come on. Sometimes, curtains are just curtains. And maybe, that blanket on her bed is just blue because she likes that color!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on March 12, 2015, 04:33:55 PM

Yay! That is totally me.

Far to often I get this feeling that English teachers put more meaning into the book than the authors meant. Way more. I mean, come on. Sometimes, curtains are just curtains. And maybe, that blanket on her bed is just blue because she likes that color!

I've always wondered that too.  I don't think prose authors put as much symbolism or other literary devices into their writing as we take from it.  We might be digging a little deeper than we need to be.  Still, beach = childhood, love it.

Jetthebinturong

I had that argument with my teacher, she said "It doesn't matter what it actually means, what matters is what it could mean and that you show off your own skills"

LYING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK IS NOT SHOWING OFF YOUR SKILLS
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on March 12, 2015, 06:41:55 PM
I had that argument with my teacher, she said "It doesn't matter what it actually means, what matters is what it could mean and that you show off your own skills"

LYING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK IS NOT SHOWING OFF YOUR SKILLS

And it doesn't make any sense neither.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Skyblade

How is academic life for you all? :P

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!