A Winter to Freeze Your Heart part 2

Started by Unimaginative, February 10, 2014, 06:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflower Reguba

A subtle shudder rode up Vatra's spine as she saw and heard her friend recreate, at least in part, how she felt losing Alec. It was like seeing a long dead nemesis standing before her, taunting with great confidence. Her eyebrows tightened in defiance toward the worry that flitted across her mind. Stepping around the washing, she laid her paws on Arya's shoulders resolutely, "Arya look at me." Pausing as long as compliance required, she continued with a strong, commanding voice, "You can't pass on the blessings in your life because of fear, because of what's been taken or lost. Trust me..... I know all too well where that road leads, and I won't stand to let you, or anybeast else even get near it. So help me I will strap you down, drag Ushen over and MAKE him kiss you if that's what it takes to keep you grounded here an'- Are you snickering at me ya rotten welp?"
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Cornflower MM

As hard as she tried to keep a straight face, Arya simply couldn't hold in her laughter as Vatra kept on with a completely straight face. "Teeheeheehee, I'm s-s-sorry, I just- You're so se-e-erious, ahahaha, and I can't help but picture you draggin' Ushen over by the ear, hohoho!" Completely overcome by giggles, the squirrelmaid looked away in an unsuccessful attempt to compose herself.

~~~

Bryant bounced out of the Abbey doors, hoping that Ushen or Arya would know where Vatra was. . . Not that he knew where they were, but the squirrel shrugged and headed in the direction of the orchards and pond. He knew that Arya at least liked eating out there, so it was a start. Probably should have checked through the Abbey first, though. . . Bryant thought ruefully before the sound of laughter beyond the fruit bushes on the edges of the orchard reached his ears.

Peeking around one, Bryant saw Ushen laid flat on the ground, clearly tackled by a group of Dibbuns who were having the time of their lives tickling him. "GERRIS FEETPAWS, 'RINA! GOTTA 'VENGE MUVVER RUSHINA'S ROBES!" One of them yelled, a small mouse promptly lunging at Ushen's footpaws with a warcry as he struggled.
"Ahahaha, I didn't touch 'em, I swear! Heehee, you're really gonna believe, hohoho, those trouble-makin' m-ahaha-maids over a trusty guy like meeeee?!" Ushen squirmed, catching sight of Bryant and blinking at him in a clear cry for help.

As amusing as the picture was, Bryant couldn't refuse and stepped out from behind the bushes, clearing his throat. The Dibbuns all went quiet and looked up at him, eyes wide. "What's going on here, young 'uns? Did I hear something about Mother Russina's robes?" Bryant asked, fighting to keep a straight face. The lead Dibbun nodded solemnly, "'He was 'tealin' thems, an' bein' a- a- fishdin creature!" The small vole was clearly concentrating hard on "fiendish" and looked proud of himself for getting the word out. . . As mangled as it was.

Bryant nodded in understanding, "I seeeee. I thank you for apprehending this hooligan, but I'll take him from here. Never fear, I'll make sure he gets what he deserves. Run along now!" With a chorus of "awwww"s the Dibbuns climbed off Ushen and trudged off, surely going to find more mischief.

"Phew, thanks mate. Playing with the Dibbuns makes me nervous, I don't wanna hurt 'em." Ushen said as Bryant helped him up on his paws.

"Sure, no problem. Do you know where the girls are? Ervoyce is up, he was asking about Vatra."

"Oh that's great! They set the Dibbuns on me while we were doin' the laundry, I'm sure they're cleaning up our mess."

The brothers quickly retraced Ushen's steps, coming in sight of Arya and Vatra shortly. Ushen quirked an eyebrow - Arya was doubled over nearly in half with a case of the giggles while Vatra looked less than amused. "Hey Vatra!" Bryant called when they were in earshot, grinning excitedly.

Dannflower Reguba

Vatra rolled her eyes at the hopeless curmudgeon before her, resting on a blank stare as their moment was interrupted. Turning towards the speaker, a little crick disobediently tickled its' way up at the left corner of her mouth whilst her eyes remained stoically deadpan. All efforts proved fruitless as a singular giggle squirmed out as the other squirrels arrived, "Well where'd those sunshine...'s and rainbows come from? Ya have a bit much fun in the cellars? Or perhaps yeh've found an acorn!"

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Cornflower MM

Arya's laughter finally started to subside and she wiped a tear as another giggle tried desperately to escape at Vatra's comments and Bryant stuck his tongue out at her. "Acorn yerself, Miss Duck." He hrrmphed before bouncing in place, his excitement unable to be contained for long. "I just came from the infirmary and Ervoyce was awake - Like awake, awake - and askin' for you!"

Dannflower Reguba

Leaning forward, Vatra ruffled her bush tail in the best imitation of tail feathers she could muster, giving Bryant a sarcastically haughty stare, "Qua-..." Eyes dilating as realization struck, she half rose, almost confused, "...-Ack." This was all that was offered before she took off, nearly bowling the next load of laundry across the grass as a mouse and otter shared the corner with the squirrel flying by. The two very nearly casualties looked between the black blur that had been, and the other friends congregated by the washing, perplexed. Across the halls, stairs taken in stride, it was not long before she came to a quick stop at the infirmary entrance. Finding herself somewhat disheveled at the doorway, she paused, reprimanding herself for not dipping by a wash basin at the very least. Having stopped long enough to think, a slowly spreading smile creased her jaw, "E's in there waitin' an here am I, worrying over a bit a' dirt." She chuckled at herself... it was good to feel this way again.

A much more quickly birthed grin came to Ervoyce as the hasty thrumming on the stairs dissipated with pointed swiftness, though, it didn't last as long, "Eek! Get that thing away from me yeh mur'drur! Oh woe is me, slain naught by the misdeeds of vile varmints, but by the wayward strike of a vengeful nurse! OooOoOooO..."

"Oh quit your quibbling before I do the job for her you oafish, overgrown dibbun!"

His grin bloomed fully as the result of a single turn of the head yielded a bounty of warm comfort, "Does I gerra candied chesknutter iffa I's b'have sissa Vatta?" Attempts to shimmy into the safety of the blankets after this comment were... unsuccessful.

"SISSA VATTA WILL BAFF THE HIDE OFF YA WITH A CHESKNUTTER IF YOU TRY CALLIN' ME THAT AGAIN!" The offended squirrel was across the long room in little more than a bound, now on top of the hapless teaser. Still devoid of any concept of consequence for situations such as this, Ervoyce stuck his shovel in the dirt, still trying to shield himself with a blanket hem, "Wha'eva e' say's miss Vatt-" He didn't get to finish.

Cornflower MM

Arya dove for the laundry that Vatra almost upset and quickly ensured it wouldn't go flying as the other squirrel took off and was gone before the other two could fully comprehend her quack. She looked at Bryant with an arched eyebrow, "Great job breakin' the news slowly, she'll be all flustered and runnin' over everybeast between here and the Infirmary!"

"Sorrryyyy, I was excited." Bryant offered with a sheepish grin, stooping to pick up some of the clothing from the ground. Ushen snorted as he moved to help Arya with Vatra's leftover pile, causing Bryant to raise an eyebrow of his own. "Whaaaat?"

"Nothin', nothin'." Ushen responded nonchalantly. "Just that you'd lose your head if it weren't attached to your shoulders, you're so excitable." He smirked at his brother, confident Bryant wouldn't have a good comeback to that one.

"Alright, you two, no need to start up again." Arya interjected with no real bite, although she did dig her paw into Ushen's ribs with a poke, causing him to yelp. Bryant watched the interaction closely, his eyes narrowing before they lit up with a twinkly smirk. "No need, Arya, I'll just clear out and let you two lovebirds enjoy yourselves!" Tossing the last few pieces of laundry he held at Ushen and Arya, Bryant spedwalked away, laughing to himself.

If nothing else, at least his aim is solid, Arya reflected as she stuck her tongue out at the other squirrel's retreating figure. The air grew quiet as she returned to the original task of hanging up the laundry with Ushen and Arya found herself examining Ushen's thoughtful expression as he worked. Vatra's words rang in her ear, "You can't pass on the blessings in your life because of fear, because of what's been taken or lost," and Arya squared her shoulders with a deep breath.

"You know, everyone at the Abbey keeps calling us lovebirds or something similar." Ushen looked up with a blink, taking in Arya's determined face. He wasn't really very sure where she was going with this so he merely nodded. "And we both know that we like each other, right?" Another nod, slower. "So then, what are we doin'?!"

"Uhhhh. What d'you mean? We're doin' what we've al-" Ushen's reply was cut off by Arya's mutter of "Oh, honestly!" as she closed the gap between them in a few steps, took his face in her paws, and pressed a firm but gentle kiss to his lips before backing away with a vibrant blush under her fur.

". . . . Oh. That works too."

Dannflower Reguba

A thorough ruffling was well in order, and further underway supposedly to the utter dismay of the recipient. Vatra's arms relentlessly chased the hapless Ervoyce around or though the blanket as she pressed in on him, pinning him down to the frame. As the paws slowed their assault, the squirrels lips brushed as she pulled back to rest on the edge of the bed while he made more room for Vatra's torso to rest on. She closed her eyes slowly as gentle fingers combed through her head fur and slid up her ears, eliciting a satisfied purr. The weight of sleepless worry descended upon her weary bones in response to this fresh relief, helpless to the easing muscles. Closing eyes blurred the sight of her Love's face as she reached out as if to grab a wayward strand of energy from the air itself. Ervoyce's other hand rose to clasp hers over his heart while the massaging continued.

"You've earned your rest, my dear, sweet Kawalan." He pulled her paw up to give it a kiss and a squeeze, "Love yooou."

Vatra's eyelids looked up at him in a daze, "That's. not... faaair-" light breathes replaced wispy words as peaceful slumber finally found its' mark on the squirrel.

Cornflower MM

Arya blinked, firstly in disbelief then with indignation clear in her eyes. "'That works too'?!" She repeated, her voice rising to a squeak. The squirrelmaid whirled to face the clothing line with an audible huff, "Good to know I wasn't reading the situation as well as I thought was." Even though her tone was positively icy, Arya furiously blinked to stem the tears that had rushed to her eyes. She felt silly and regretted taking the leap, although she supposed it was good she knew that Ushen wasn't as invested as she was now rather than later.

"Wha- No- NO!" Ushen yelped, blood draining from his face as he realized how his words had come across. "Arya no, I swear, that's not what I meant. I was just surprised, that's all. I wasn't expecting you to make such a bold move so soon. We haven't really had time to sit and talk about everything and. . . I'm sorry, I really stuck my paw in my mouth, I know."

As he spoke, Ushen reached out and placed  paw on Arya's shoulder, trying to get her to turn back around. As she did, that paw slid up to cup her face and was quickly followed by the other as he leaned in. "Trust me, I'm just as invested as you are," he murmured before capturing her lips with his.

Dannflower Reguba

Ervoyce sat, contentedly scratching and rubbing the head and ears of Vatra's still form. A couple of nurses stopped over a while later to lay her in the bed just across from him, nodding his appreciation as they did so. The hours whiled away, both squirrels sleeping soundly, Ervoyce waking at intervals and getting checked up on. Night time hit, and he ushered over one of the caretakers to jostle Vatra awake on his behalf, thanking the assistant as she stirred, "G'mornin' gorgeous, how're you feelin'?" She gazed at him in something akin to wonderous confusion for a split second, before breaking into a soft smile, "Betteeeeeer."

"It's supper time ya know, yeh should probably go eeeeeeat," He responds, sharing the maid's expression, tracking her as she stretches and comes nearer again.

"But you're up heeeeere," Vatra flops with a pout, he can merely chuckle, "You can bring it up here silly, I ain't goin' anywhere ya know." I grab the nearest available paw and give it a reassuring squeeze, "Promise." A happy sigh escapes his throat as they lock affectionate stares.

"You better not, or the tickling is just the beginning!" She slowly backs away, hands outstretched as fingers slowly slide away from each other before dropping as the standing squirrel steps backwards out of the infirmary, partaking in one last look before descending the stairs to join the rest of the Redwallers, albeit briefly.

Cornflower MM

Bryant followed along behind Arya and Ushen, grinning smugly as they shyly held paws on the way to Cavern Hole for supper. It was easy to see the shift that had occurred between the two after Bryant had left them with the laundry earlier, they were both so much more relaxed and comfortable with each other. Whatever had conspired had almost completely drained the tension between the pair, although the awkwardness was still very prominent.

Rolling his eyes goodnaturedly as Ushen said something to make Arya giggle, Bryant paused for a moment, a smile lighting up his face as he spotted Vatra coming from the other way. He waved to catch her attention, "Arya, Ushen, Vatra's coming!" He called, the other two squirrels immediately pausing to wait for their friend.

Dannflower Reguba

Almost absentmindedly breezing by everybeast, Bryant's stray paw in the crowd pulled Vatra's attention. Practically skipping over to her friends, she approached with some mildly embarrassed neck scratching, "Er, sorry fer abandoning you... but you know, and I sort fell asleep an'... yeeeah, heh... So how is everybeast tonight then ay? Ya seem fairly chipper and all."

Cornflower MM

Arya squinted at Vatra, "Did you just apologize for going to see your partner that just woke up from a coma? And then getting some rest after running yourself ragged? I can't speak for these two but I for one am very glad you got some rest. Now come on, let's get some food - Or are you taking a tray up to the infirmary?" The squirrelmaid dropped Ushen's paw and subtly gestured for him and Bryant to go first before reaching to loop her arm through Vatra's.

Dannflower Reguba

Vatra accepted the arm with an eyeroll, "Well pardon my courtesy then, shall I away regularly in the coming days and leave you with handfuls of dibbuns-" The squirrelmaid stopped pointedly to stare at the brothers, "-...Young and old?" Her straight face lasted but two seconds before a poorly stifled snort broke her otherwise stalwart composure.

Cornflower MM

A look of horror flashed over Arya's face as she steered them towards the table, "Don't you dare! I can't handle both of them on my own all the time!" The brothers nearly stopped in their tracks ahead of the maids, crying out a "Heeeyyyy!" in unison. "We're not THAT bad!" Bryant added defensively as Ushen slipped away, tail swishing in mock indignation. A peal of giggles escaped Arya and she glanced at Vatra, examining her features quickly. A weight had clearly been lifted off of her shoulders, and it was clear she'd gotten some rest. "How are you feeling? Any better?"

Dannflower Reguba

Vatra joined her friend in mirthful expression, it was a good laugh, tension breaking and healthy, heartfelt, relaxing, real. All was right again, and it showed once more in the dark squirrel's composure and countenance as she addressed Arya, "I feel like spring. The cold toys all around the fringes, but light and life are robust again. Hope was dashed to the ground, but grows anew regardless," she pulled her confidant close for a hug, "Far better Arya, far better."