News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Weapon Production in Redwall

Started by Wylder Treejumper, May 15, 2020, 05:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

One of the things that has always puzzled me is the distribution of weapons in Redwall. From what we see in the series, forged weapons are fairly common. Vermin, at least, have them- although the quality of their weapons is often subpar, seemingly more from poor maintenance than from age. Woodlanders do not commonly have real weapons other than staves and bows, which are easier to manufacture. Depending on the book, Redwall may or may not have some (or a lot- see Marlfox) of weapons, usually stated to be in some state of decay or disuse, but real forged weapons: swords, spears, halberds, even some mail hauberks. Shrews will always have rapiers. Salamandastron hares, of course, will have every weapon imaginable- and with reason, one of the badger lords' main occupations is the smithing of weaponry.

However, with the sole exception of Salamandatron, we never see any group or civilization that forges weapons or even seems aware of metallurgy generally. So where do all of the weapons in the series come from? It is not reasonable that all of them came from Salamandastron- especially vermin weapons, which are of types and qualities completely different from what is produced by the badger lords.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Verdauga

Well, it's obvious that there are forges in the world of Redwall, even if Jacques doesn't metion them. Since it's next to impossible that all vermin are raiders, there must be vermin villages or homesteads. Rather, the conundrum of forged weaponry stems from the lack of settlements, vermin or otherwise. This leads me to the belief that both goodbeast and vermin are traditionally nomads, setting up camp (Which would include a smithy) for a few months, and packing up and moving on.

Given that years pass between most of the books, and, consequently the great battles contained therein, it seems plausible that Redwallers would ignore and even forget that they had weaponry, until an attack was imminent. This would explain the state of wear for their weaponry.

As to vermin, if they are nomadic raiders, they would only stop to forge weaponry if it were absolutely necessary. Only the edge of their blades would be cared for, as, to most, that is the important piece.

There is a lot to infer in the series, since Jacques wasn't interested in building a seamless world, but rather describing fantastical exploits.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Booklover

Also, their weapons will last longer relative to an average creature's lifespan than it would for us.

I think there was another topic about this a while back. I'll see if I can find it. This one. Edit: seems to be the only one directly relating to it, though there are a couple regarding how they got the metal.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Wylder Treejumper

Those old topics got off-topic very quickly...

Anyhow, thinking about this, though,I was coming up with some possible theories for weapon production. Manufacturing weapons is work intensive, especially if you incorporate the mining and refining of materials. There are a few places that could fit the bill for that level of civilization among vermin, though. Off the top of my head, Sampetra, Terramort and Riftgard are places that appear to have a level of permanent population which would allow for that kind of labor.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Grond

This topic reminds me of another- that dealt with vermin families. Logically speaking villages must exist where vermin are born, live etc... before they go off to join armies, become raiders, or petty criminals/highway robbers. I suspect it is in those areas that they could be forging weapons, making clothes, armour etc... We see an example of a vermin village in Outcast of Redwall at Bowfleg's camp. As these ones had become sedentary- having families and engaging in farming.

It seems that vermin weapons even swords and daggers are of a fairly poor quality as Rawnblade states that Gabool's dagger is not bad steel for a searat dagger- implying the quality is inferior. Although i suspect vermin weapons are a mixed bag- some are made by themselves whereas others are probably acquired as loot.

But the population structure in the Redwall books is somewhat confusing. As the level of technology implies that it is more of a "medieval setting" but when you look how low the populations are generally speaking and the way many live (nomadic)- it would seem more like it is set in a "paleolithic" or early "neolithic" time. As in most cases the most populous places in the books- i.e. Redwall and Salmandastron only had populations in the hundreds. As is the case with most vermin settlements too. Redwall and Salmandastron at their highest, each had a population numbering around a thousand. And yet these are the 2 most populous woodlander settlements.

Corporal Rubbadub

I was thinking that the otter clans, who usually not in the Abbey, either make them themselves, or travel every now and then, and then give some weapons to the abbey. Same with the shrews.