News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Best Fight in the Saga (spoilers)

Started by James Gryphon, June 28, 2011, 10:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

Regardless of what one may think of the quality of individual books, most of the fight scenes are well-written; please list off your favorites here, and explain why they rank that way.

Here's a few of the ones I like best:

Argulor vs. Bane (Mossflower)

This fight is foreshadowed most of the story, with the first description of the great eagle Argulor and his longing to someday taste pine marten. When Ashleg flies the coop, it becomes evident that there must be something else in the plot lined up for him.

To summarize the fight: Tsarmina lures Bane, who's wearing Ashleg's cast-off red cloak, outside the gate, and then runs back to her palace window to watch. Bane realizes something must be up, but it's too late for him to do anything about it, as the massive golden eagle swoops down to finally fulfill his dream.

High over Mossflower, Argulor wins the battle and kills the fox, but then suffers the equivalent of a heart attack upon discovering that all of his effort was for naught. It's a glorious fight that finally demonstrates the sheer power of the ancient bird (which had been alluded to the entire book before then), neatly ties up two plotlines in the story, and displays Tsarmina's cunning.

Gabool the Wild vs. Saltar (Mariel of Redwall)
Aas Gabool descends into madness shortly after this, and because rats are (through no fault of their own) much smaller and weaker than badgers, this is the only time we get to see the "King of Searats" at his full power, using his skills in combat.

However, it's quite a great fight. To summarize: Saltar, a legendary corsair, has sailed back to Terramort to confront Gabool for murdering his brother Bluddrigg. After a few words are exchanged, Saltar finally "throws down the gauntlet", and throws in a barb about Gabool's recent fight with Mariel. In response:

Gabool sent the table toppling as he kicked it and freed his swordblade, his face a mask of ugliness and cruelty as he launched himself forward.

"That's a lie! A black-hearted lie, and you'll die for it, Saltar!"

There's some great banter in this fight, and both the opponents are evenly matched... except for Gabool's cunning, as he pre-arranged a trap to kill his enemy. We find that he tends to prefer this kind of setup (and it works very well). I'd even say that Gabool was cheated of his victory at the end of the book, because Rawnblade blundered twice fighting him.

Graypatch vs. Bigfang (Mariel of Redwall)
Up until this point in the story, Bigfang has constantly undermined Graypatch, who is a much older, more experienced searat, with the idea of taking the captaincy for himself.

Finally Bigfang lays down one too many challenges, and Graypatch takes his sword and they have at it.

Bigfang is younger and stronger, but Graypatch has been in countless battles, and has the experience factor on his side. Although worn down by his opponent's strength, with precision and skill he maneuvers Bigfang towards the fire and then runs him through with a spear, thus finally and irrefutably demonstrating Graypatch's prowess as a villain and ending the rebellion plotline.

Martin the Warrior vs. Tsarmina Greeneyes (Mossflower)
One of the best fights in the series because it's the one where Martin proved himself -- and yet by all rights still should've died.

The setting: Outside the ruins of Kotir. The Corim's catapult brought down the walls, and everything's being flooded in, but it isn't over because the wildcat queen has drifted to shore, away from all of the action.

Martin, still injured from an arrow Tsarmina shot him with, is there to meet her. Equipped in full armor -- breastplate, helmet, etc. -- he confronts the Queen of the Thousand Eyes with customary bravado.

As it turns out, though, even with his soon-to-be-legendary sword and his fighting skills, he's overmatched... I mean, seriously, it's a mouse fighting a wildcat, what'd you expect? ;)

However, although Tsarmina's claws have ripped through Martin's armor and she's well on her way to tearing him to shreds, he has enough determination and fortitude to keep trying, and this, combined with Tsarmina's deathly fear of water, still allow him to get the victory... as his foe stumbles back into the river and drowns.

The reason why I like this fight, aside from the fact that it uses both the main villain and the hero well, is that it doesn't give Martin magic sword skills or allow them to unfairly influence the fight -- no matter what kind of a weapon he's holding, or how good he is, it's a cat, a born killer, fighting a much smaller mouse, and naturally the mouse is going to be at a huge disadvantage. It's his strength of character, not strength of arms, that carries the day, something that I'm not sure the fights in later stories portray as well.

Matthias vs. Cluny The Scourge (Redwall)
After many reasonable (yet failed) plans, nightmares, and troubles, when the dawn comes, Cluny the Scourge finds himself standing in Great Hall, as the one and only Conqueror of Redwall.

Just as he's cruelly thrashing Abbot Mortimer to death with his namesake tail, a voice stops him, and the infamous rat looks up to see his worst nightmare, seemingly brought to life, standing in the doorway.

Matthias, unlike a lot of the other series' heroes, has all of Martin's original equipment -- and is thus the spitting image of the original hero. He does his best to use this equipment, and the training he's received, to try to clean Cluny's clock.

However, the fact is that Cluny is a veteran of countless campaigns, the most dangerous and evil villain to ever live, and armed with an iron spike, his superior size, and his tail, he immediately sets to work in battering the mouse down... knowing that with just one more victory, his place in history will be assured and he'll never have a restless night again.

It's interesting to note, given how many later heroes easily win against the villains, that in spite of the magic sword and the shield and all of that, by the end of the fight, Matthias is losing, hence why he had to retreat up into the belltower in the first place. If it hadn't been for cutting Gullwhacker, Cluny still would have won -- and in my mind, that shows some great writing there. It respects the villain and his capabilities, while still giving the hero the room he needs to save the day. I wish all of the fights in the series were this evenly matched; it is probably the best single duel in the entire lore.
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

My personal top 3 favorites are:
3. Luke vs. Vilu Daskar
I like this one because it shows you how good of a fighter Luke is. He ends up defeating Vilu Daskar and ramming the biggest ship on the great sea into a group of towering rocks, all with one hand tied down...
2. Felldoh vs. Badrang the Tyrant
Another great fight. Yes Felldoh ends up dying, but he managed to make the main villain feel like the slave, just as Felldoh was for most of his life.
1. The Long Patrol vs. Damug Warfang and his army
The biggest battle in Redwall history! How much more exciting could it get?

Of course I know that there are many other incredible battles, too many to name, but these are the ones that really stand out to me.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Osu

I  do believe that is the best OP I've ever read here. Top marks to you, sir!

All the battle scenes in the series are excellent. I'll say, for now, that my favorite scene is Sabretache vs. Zigu. It was pure, utter epicness from start to finish. Words cannot describe. Even the other hares and corsairs stopped fighting long enough to watch. Can't beat that! I still like to go back and reread that scene - just that scene.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

DanielofRedwall

Felldoh vs Badrang.
Awesome fight, Felldoh's rage ends up being his end. Very suspenseful.

Gorath the Flame Vs. Viska Longtooth.
The part where Gorath snaps Viska's spine made me wince. So well described and so suspenseful.

Don't know if this counts, but Matthias vs. Asmodeus.
I love this part, so suspenseful, will Matthas resist Asmodeus' hypnotising?

Martin Vs Tsarmina
My favourite fight in Redwall, the two powerhouses go at it. Suspenseful as well. I seriously thoguht Martin wouldn't survive.

There are heaps of others as well.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Redwall Musician

One that I really liked was:

Dotti Vs Bucko Bigbones: Bucko is not a bad guy, but this battle does complete the story. And saves Salamanadoston (spelling?) from a terrible fate. Plus it is funny!
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

martins#1fan

1. Felldoh vs. Badrang the tyrant. You just can't get enough of Felldoh's bravery, courage, or what I call Redwall patriotism.
2. Martin vs. Badrang. Not very long but I love the story because Martin gets his sword back.
3. Felldoh vs. the vermin hoard. This battle is hilarious because Felldoh is with Brome, and they keep throwing javelins at them, and they think it's that lady squirrel.
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Osu

Quote from: Redwall Musician on June 29, 2011, 01:59:34 PM

Dotti Vs Bucko Bigbones: Bucko is not a bad guy, but this battle does complete the story. And saves Salamanadoston (spelling?) from a terrible fate. Plus it is funny!
Ahhh yes, I love that scene, too! All of Dotti's "battles" with Bucko were immensely amusing. :D

Matthias720

Quote from: Osu on June 29, 2011, 05:37:56 PM

Ahhh yes, I love that scene, too! All of Dotti's "battles" with Bucko were immensely amusing. :D
I love the "Oh look, he knows his own name" bit. :D

Osu

Quote from: Matthias720 on June 30, 2011, 02:32:23 AM

And "tut tut, what dreadful weather you had." XD Way to go, Dotti.

Redwall Musician

I'm reading Lord Brocktree again. I'm at the part where she fights him! Best part in the book....Or is it.....I'll have to think about it....
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

daskar666

I thought the defeat of the blue hordes was completely pathetic.
I expected an epic battle like in the Long Patrol but better.
But Ungatt Trunn for some reason was stupid enough to fight Brocktree one on one and put all his faith in Doomeye.

Galedeep

Finbarr Galedeep vs. Urgan Nagru  was a short but epic fight, and Rakkety Tam vs Gulo the savage is another on of my favorites.

Tiria Wildlough

I like Rakkety Tam vs. Gulo. So awesome! I love how he sharpened his shield at te edges, and cut off the wolverine's head. He wouldn't have guessed that if Martin the Warrior hadn't told him.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on June 28, 2011, 10:41:57 PM
I  do believe that is the best OP I've ever read here. Top marks to you, sir!

All the battle scenes in the series are excellent. I'll say, for now, that my favorite scene is Sabretache vs. Zigu. It was pure, utter epicness from start to finish. Words cannot describe. Even the other hares and corsairs stopped fighting long enough to watch. Can't beat that! I still like to go back and reread that scene - just that scene.
here here!
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on June 30, 2011, 04:24:59 PM
Quote from: Matthias720 on June 30, 2011, 02:32:23 AM

And "tut tut, what dreadful weather you had." XD Way to go, Dotti.
rofl
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.