News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Writing In Accents: A Mistake?

Started by WoodenSpoon, February 05, 2013, 01:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leatho Shellhound

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Tiria Wildlough

And so did Rangval the Rogue. ;D I think it was associated with mischievous characters.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Romsca

You could be right!

Quote from: Romsca on February 05, 2013, 06:50:10 PM
I don't know what kind of accent Romsca has, but it annoys me even though she's a cool character
Quote from: Tam and Martin on February 05, 2013, 06:50:32 PM
Really?

Yes. Her "pirate accent" seems fake

321tumbler

Quote from: Romsca on February 05, 2013, 06:50:10 PM
I don't know what kind of accent Romsca has, but it annoys me even though she's a cool character
I think she has a vermin/corsair accent.

Romsca

She does, but it's way to overdone. Like I said, it sounds really fake, as if that wasn't her real accent, and she was just trying to sound like a pirate

KitrallStreamrippler

Quote from: Redwaller on February 05, 2013, 12:42:05 PM
I, personally, never struggled with any accents. Even the Scottish accent was easy. So I think it was a bonus.

It was because of the Scottish accents in Redwall books that I learned how to speak it. (Ah'm still workin' on et tho', ye ken.) I'd already learned a British accent, but I completely disgraced harespeech, and I was ready to have a go at a new accent. I can't wait until I've mastered 4 or 5 different accents and can switch between them randomly. (mischievous grin)
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Romsca

I LOVE Scottish accents personally. But does anyone agree with me?

KitrallStreamrippler

Quote from: Romsca on February 09, 2013, 08:22:22 PM

Wholeheartedly.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Romsca

KitrallStreamrippler

Actually, I haven't read Pearls of Lutra in a long time, so I don't really remember her accent. Ah do agree with ye aboot Scottish accents, tho'. Guid mornin', by the way.

cregga rose eyes

Quote from: Romsca on February 09, 2013, 08:22:22 PM

The scottish or Northerner accents are one of my favorites in the books.

I like how Brian Jacques used accents since if everyone had the same accent it wouldn't be Redwall.
Drifting with the wind
I usually go by LakeLake nowadays

Redwallfan7

Quote from: Tam and Martin on February 05, 2013, 06:47:06 PM
It is. Ah sure The Grand Ould Romsca is right sure enuff
His accent is funny :P so is hare speak.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

321tumbler

I like molespech, Scottish, and hare accents a lot.

KitrallStreamrippler

Yes!! Molespeech is so much fun! (I think I'm going to start working on that one next.) Hmm... some accents are harder to write than to speak, but some are the other way 'round. Any thoughts? (For example: I cannot speak like a hare, but I can write it pretty easily. Scottish, on the other hand, I can speak easily but have a hard time writing at times.)

Romsca

Aye. Scottish is super easy for me tae speak, I just cannae write it well  :P