News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Rogue Crew

Started by Martha Braebuck, June 18, 2011, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martins#1fan

I've read part of it, a little boring at the beginning, but I'm sure I'll like it when I get to the action.
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Gonff

I read it as soon as I could get it on inter-library loan. It is sad that it is the last book but I did not try to prolong it or anything.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Captain Tammo

I liked the Long Patrol in the long patrol was the best
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Dawnwing

I've got it checked out - library finally bought it - but haven't read it yet; I'm very quickly finishing my re-read of the Harry Potter series before I see the movie on Wednesday (I'm about 1/3 of the way through Deathly Hallows).

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Juzt finizhed thiz today...sigh...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on August 23, 2011, 12:48:31 AM
Juzt finizhed thiz today...sigh...

I didn't "sigh" when I finished the book. I actually was skipping (I skip a lot. I've done it since I was little).

Also, I don't really like the cover of the Rogue Crew. I guess I thought they made Rake look weird.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Here'z zomethin' intereztin'. In the final fight, it zhowz Rake with two non-bazket hilted claymorez, while on the cover he'z wieldin' two bazket hilted zwordz.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

DanielofRedwall

It's a great book, but isn't it odd *spoiler* how the only death they really cried over was Swiffo's? What about Kite and Drander? Still, I love Rake Nightfur!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Lutra

^ Maybe because everyone really liked Swiffo and that was a bit of a shock for him to just die like that whereas the others were in the heat of battle where death is a guarantee?  My guess anyway....
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Folgrimeo

Loved it, this one's incredibly special to me. I used to complain constantly about how the battles in Redwall do nothing for me, that they take focus away from the characters or get bogged down in military talk. I'm sure it's possible to have an exciting fight scene but I hadn't really come across one (Rakkety Tam came pretty close though). And I've also been complaining that the books were too much of the same and that its "young adult" status sometimes holds it back from being the dark, violent series it appears to me. Then "Rogue Crew" came along and gave me everything I ever wanted.

It was unreal, it quickly established itself for being brutal in its deaths (more so than I can recall) and having constant action. It just never let up, this is war done right, this is the kind of fighting that can keep me glued to the pages. The storyline was undoubtedly different, though I can't remember there actually being any sort of storyline - which is cool with me given what else fills the book. And oh man, I think this is the darkest Redwall book of all, I was almost cringing at some of the stuff in it. Didn't think Redwall's battles could take my breath away and then wow did they go all out. It was extremely gratifying to see this very-different book work out so well - that the series flourishes when it goes in this different direction. My one complaint? ...it lacks the charm and characters of the more traditional books. Combine Taggerung's cast and events with the war side of Rogue Crew and that'd be the absolute pinnacle for me. That this is possibly the last Redwall book seems fitting if nothing else, for the series to go out with a bang.

Nightfire

Quote from: martins#1fan on July 18, 2011, 09:22:59 PM
I've read part of it, a little boring at the beginning, but I'm sure I'll like it when I get to the action.

I agree that it's a little boring at the beggining, but you're right, it definitely gets a lot better towards the end.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Shinella

At the beginning I was like, "Is this really Brian?" but as I got farther in, he drew me in... one of my FAVORITE books from the series now :) of course... all of the books are my faves... right? :D
Yesterday is history... Tomorrow is a mystery... Today is a gift... and that's why its called - The Present...

Lutra

I think a lot of people enjoyed this book because it happened to be just that bit different from the typical Redwall formula to actually be interesting.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra