Did Redwall teach you any new words?

Started by Osu, July 30, 2011, 02:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osu

I've wondered about this a bit. ;) Have your forays into the Redwall world ever ended in a trip to dictionary.com? I recall looking up "sacophant" and "sabertache" in the past... just off the top of my head. Anybody else?
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Nightfire

Yeah, I learned a lot of new words. I couldn't even begin to tell you all of them! I also began to like the general descriptive style of writing, so I began to subconciously incorporate that style of writing into my own book. Then when I actually realized that, then I realized that Mr. Jacques had been kind of a role-model for me and my writing.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Matthias720

Certainly. Despite always having an above-average vocabulary, I still found it amazing what I was able to learn just be reading a good story.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

There are a lot o' thingz that Redwall can teach ye.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Folgrimeo

It taught me a few words, but "vittles" was the big one. Then I was talking to other people and they were surprised I had never heard of vittles or victuals before. Maybe I'm just not familiar with old-time words.

Captain Tammo

I learned tons of words, too many to list. I remember one of them was "rapier"
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Log-a-Log

I learned so many different words for food- scoff, tuck, vittles
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Nightfire

Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Tiria Wildlough

I learned 'melee, 'maelstrom', and lots of other words. It is awesome. ;D
@Lady Amber: I like your profile picture.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Bananagirl

i have had to go to a dictionary a few times, other times i found out what it was by looking at the context, but yes redwall has taught me some new words

DanielofRedwall

I learnt "crestfallen" from Redwall. When I was younger, that is... Also, various words for food ("vittles", "scoff" etc) and different types of weapons.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Skalrag of Marshank

When I read about damson wine in Martin the Warrior, that prompted me to Google "damson". Now I know what a damson is. ;D
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Nightfire

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 31, 2011, 05:07:13 AM
I learned 'melee, 'maelstrom', and lots of other words. It is awesome. ;D
@Lady Amber: I like your profile picture.

Thanks! It's supposed to be a picture of Nightfire, which is my latest RP-ing identity. She's a black squirrel, and is a Mercenary Squirrelqueen from the North.

Gonff

It taught me some words. Usually I don't look them up, I just learn them by context. When I was writing I used the word draught without thinking. My sister didn't recognize the word so I had to look it up. It's the  U.K. spelling of draft, so I know I've learned some U. K. words and am now incorporating them in my writing.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Martha Braebuck

My new favourite word from redwall is:

Ab-so-flippin'-loot-ly!!!
~Love, •*Martha*•

Whoohahahahooh!! ~Hon Rosie's awesome laugh!

"Fate 'n fortune smile on us,
and of this crew take care,
but let no greedy robber try,
to guzzle up my share!"