News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Did Redwall teach you any new words?

Started by Osu, July 30, 2011, 02:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily

Definitely! I started reading Redwall quite young, so it had a huge part in developing my vocabulary. I still bring out the dictionary occasionally to remind myself what a certain word means. I couldn't tell you exactly which words I learnt from Redwall, but it was certainly quite a few.

Skalrag of Marshank

I didn't know what the heck a stoat was, or a pine marten, or a polecat. I think Redwall really improved my vocabulary.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Redwall Musician

I learned many words. Some I knew what they were, but I didn't know how to use them in a sentence. I learned many words for food, and many different types of food.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Log-a-Log

Yeah, almost all of the foods in Redwall were new to me before I started reading them
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Skalrag of Marshank

O.K., damson, habit, scoff, tucker, vittles, etc. Mostly words having to do with food.
  ~ Larry Boy

DanielofRedwall

Lots of weapons, like rapiers and pikes and stuff. I'm learning heaps from the Rogue Crew, because of the fortunate freepaws! They like big words!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

'Leveret', and 'vulpine'.
Also, I think I learned the meaning of 'scoff'. It wasn't very hard to guess, though.  ;D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Skalrag of Marshank

Yesterday, I came across "cynical", "sibilant", and"paraphernalia". I was too lazy to find a dictionary, so I asked my dad.
  ~ Larry Boy

Osu

Quote from: Skalrag of Marshank on August 06, 2011, 04:51:26 PM
Yesterday, I came across "cynical", "sibilant", and"paraphernalia". I was too lazy to find a dictionary, so I asked my dad.
I used to do that, too. XD Dads know just about everything, don't they?

Vittles is a good one - now all y'all mentioned it, that was a new one for me. And victuals. And "score," as in counting - for the longest time I couldn't figure out what the characters meant when they said something like, "there's five score vermin out there!" ;D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Log-a-Log

Quote from: Osu on August 06, 2011, 05:20:35 PM
Quote from: Skalrag of Marshank on August 06, 2011, 04:51:26 PM
I used to do that, too. XD Dads know just about everything, don't they?

Vittles is a good one - now all y'all mentioned it, that was a new one for me. And victuals. And "score," as in counting - for the longest time I couldn't figure out what the characters meant when they said something like, "there's five score vermin out there!" ;D
Yeah, for a while I couldn't figure out what a score was
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Skalrag of Marshank

~ Larry Boy

Matthias720

Skalrag of Marshank

~ Larry Boy

Wot Wot!

"Halcyon" as in "it was a halcyon day" was in Taggerung.  It means calm and peaceful.  You pronounce it hal-SEE-uhn.

I love the terms used by the Long Patrol.  "bit of nip n' tuck" is one of my favorites.

Also learned what a claymore was...
All you cowards of the land and flotsam of the sea
Who murder, pillage, loot whene'er  you please
There's a Long Patrol a waitin', we'll greet you cheerfully,
You'll hear us cry 'Eulalia' on the breeze.

Skalrag of Marshank

~ Larry Boy