How did you first find out about Redwall?

Started by Matthias720, June 10, 2011, 09:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kade Rivok

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on October 15, 2019, 10:57:47 PM
My family have had the books for years and I've always had them on my to-read list, but never actually got round to reading them. Then one day I got a message on fanfiction.net from a random guy asking if I'd read the Redwall books. That was the beginning of a very long conversation in which we talked about things and I helped name his rabbit, then he gave me the silent treatment for about a month, in which time I decided I should probably read the books. I looked up on google which order to read them in and started on Lord Brocktree. I finished that and gave it to my friend, who wanted to read them. We had two copies of Martin the Warrior and Mossflower but only one copy of The Legend of Luke so it was a race between us to see who'd get to read it first. I won and we all lived happily ever after. (except my friend, who was slightly less happy)

Chronological order, huh?  Mossflower (and especially Redwall) must've come across a bit odd then, huh?  Honestly, I would've recommended order of publication for the first few books, then chronological, but TOO LATE NOW  ;D

Funny enough, Lord Brocktree was my first Redwall book as well.  I happened to find it in my school library when I was in junior high, then went from there.  I was lucky that the library had a lot of the books there so I was just able to read them.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Kade Rivok

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on October 26, 2019, 01:27:59 AM
What's different about Mossflower?
Well, if you're coming into it from Lord Brocktree and Martin the Warrior, some of the story parts don't fully line up.  It can be argued that, in Mossflower, Martin would have left out certain parts of his backstory when explaining to his friends where he'd come from.  It's pretty obvious, though, that his backstory was simply retconned later once Mr. Jacques realized he wanted to do more with the character (which is perfectly reasonable).

Salamandastron also doesn't seem as fully fleshed out as in the later books, though this more or less lines up since it's supposed to be early in the overall timeline.  I can't remember if it lines up with the descriptions in Lord Brocktree or not though.  Still, I think it's the only time the echo chamber and the literal stone dragon head are mentioned (definitely could be wrong there, feel free to fact check)

Also, in that one foxes weren't as fully vermin-ified yet as in the later stories, what with Fortunata still trying to pass as a wandering healer to the woodlanders.  There's also the giant swan, and of course the snakey fish, the only sentient "fish" in any of the books as far as I'm aware.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

shisteer of nothing much

I wasn't terribly confused. Martin not explaining his backstory seemed pretty fair enough to me. Nobody would want to relive the events. I'm not up to Redwall yet so I haven't had to deal with anything there. (I just finished Mariel of Redwall)
It all seems pretty straight forward to me.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Cornflower MM

I found out about Redwall because one of my sisters and my mother found Mossflower somewhere in the library and shoved it into my pile of books (This was during the time I would return my books and check out 20 more for the next two weeks) and I loved it. The next one I read was Redwall and it made me so mad. xD I didn't bother to read the books in an certain order after that, just grabbed whichever two that looked interesting.

shisteer of nothing much

That... sounds like a very good idea. It might possibly save my life, thank you.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Jetthebinturong

Some of the stories are direct sequels though.

Martin the Warrior > Mossflower > The Legend of Luke
Mariel of Redwall > The Bellmaker
Redwall > Mattimeo > The Pearls of Lutra > The Long Patrol > Marlfox > The Taggerung

But after that they can go in any order I'm pretty sure.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on October 27, 2019, 04:31:57 AM
That... sounds like a very good idea. It might possibly save my life, thank you.

Yeah, no problem. Like Jet said, some of the books are sequels and I would recommend trying to read them in that order, but it didn't really change anything for me when I didn't, except mild confusion and/or joy at reading more of certain characters.

shisteer of nothing much

Okay, sounds good. I think we have all (or most of) the sequel ones anyway.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

Teer introduced me to the Redwall series, but I'm ahead of her now, thanks to Nanowrimo.  ;)
Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Booklover

How much have you read? I've read up to The Taggerung multiple times (except Mariel of Redwall and Salamandastron only once), and would have got the ones after it, but RA and other series got in the way.

I was introduced to it by my brother, and then I bought a few that we didn't have (Mossflower, Mattimeo and more recently Mariel of Redwall).
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Ebantu the Kararehe

I've read up to Mattimeo except The Bellmaker. I think my favourite is Lord Brocktree. He and Ungatt Trunn are the coolest characters ever, in my opinion. ^-^
Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

And until we meet again,

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: Ebantu the Kararehe on December 11, 2019, 01:19:27 AM
Teer introduced me to the Redwall series, but I'm ahead of her now, thanks to Nanowrimo.  ;)
You're welcome. *grins broadly* You may be ahead of me now but I'll catch up. Just wait till you go on holiday...

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

Do you have two copies of Mattimeo? (just wondering  >:D)

And until we meet again,

shisteer of nothing much

No. However, we have city a library card.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!