Changes you'd make

Started by JangoCoolguy, April 07, 2014, 11:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JangoCoolguy

If it's all right with everybeast, I feel like reviving this topic in honor of the upcoming Netflix Movie & Show. :)

saugysaugysaugy

Absolutely fine, and apologies if this is too long!

Since the series is to focus on Martin's life, there is a good chance that the bulk of Luke's hunt for Vilu Daskar won't be shown, due to time constraints and pacing. However I believe it will be shown in broad strokes. Also, as I've read Mossflower more recently than the others, I'll comment moreso on changes that should be made with it's storyline, especially re: retconning so that it fits the narrative of the other two better.

- Luke the Warrior's tribe arrives on the northwestern shores, and finds the caves that they will make home. In passing, they can make reference to the arrival of Verdauga Greeneyes, and his conquest of Mossflower. Verdauga's conditions of surrender were refusing to execute anymore of the Corim members, so long as Luke the Warrior left Mossflower never to return, for taking such an active role against him. Luke could admit in vulnerability to Sayna, his remorse over not being able to drive off the wildcats, lamenting that he could not do more for the creatures of Mossflower.
- Vilu Daskar arrives and meets with Luke the Warrior. I like the idea of Daskar being associated with Badrang and Clogg, as they were all stoat corsairs active in the same time and place. My idea is that the three of them are in league to take the remains of King Mortspear's Empire for themselves, with Verdauga gone south and Ungatt Trunn now dead. Daskar can say as such to Luke, proclaiming himself lord of the western coast, and that Luke must swear fealty. Luke of course, rejects this offer, and this initiates the conflict.

- at the start of Martin the Warrior while he is lashed to the walltops, he slips in and out of conciousness, and moments from his childhood take place, and the show could use the same format. Learning the rudimentary basics of swordplay, and of the art of war, much to his grandmother's chagrin. Their lessons can be shown alongside scenes of Luke capturing the Greenhawk, maybe some flashbacks to the start of the Great Mossflower War, with Luke fighting with Barkstripe as brothers-in-arms. When Luke finally departs to hunt down Daskar, scenes from his journey can go alongside Martin's capture by Badrang, and the long march to Marshank during which Windred dies. For all of his enthusiasm under his father's tutelage, and his aspirations of becoming a warrior, we can see Martin for what he is at the time; a small child under the cruel paws of slavers, having lost the only family he had left, and now alone and vulnerable in a brutal and savage existence. All he has left is the stone that belonged to Sayna
- frightened and weakened, huddled alone in the slave compound, Barkstripe sees Martin and embraces him as a fatherly figure, protecting and caring for him when Marshank soldiers torment the small mouse. Many seasons on, this transitions to an older and more frail Barkstripe struggling with his workload, and being set upon by guards. Martin, now grown and toughened by his life as a slave, and a natural leader amongst the prison population, comes to Barkstripe's defense

- When Martin is lashed to the walltops of Marshank in the midst of the storm, and he gives his big "I am Martin, son of Luke the Warrior" speech, have this happen concurrently with Luke lashed to the helm of the Bloodwake, bearing down upon the tall rocks. The battle for the Bloodwake takes place, as Martin is battered by the torrential storm. Luke's last warcry, and Martin's first, blend into one, as Luke dies and Martin swears his oath to take back his father's sword.

in Mossflower

- Martin's appearance and character feels strangely familiar to Verdauga, as does the sword which he inspects and remarks positively upon the weapon. Ultimately, whether his suspicions are to be true or not, his principles lead him not to act upon it, and makes his decision. He passes the sword to Tsarmina to return to Martin, whereupon she destroys the blade.
- In his first night in the cells, Martin stares up into the sky through the small prison window. The stars wink back at him, from a constellation framed perfectly by the window. In-universe, and maybe a bit too on the nose, let's just call it "The Swordmouse" (or "The Broken Sword", or "The Hammer and the Anvil")

- discussions between Martin, Bella, and Abbess Germaine on what to do in the event of Corim's victory. This can spearhead talks of building Redwall

- A nighttime scene on the beaches, where Martin and co. are camped. They aren't in total darkness however, as in the distance, a great fire is bellowing from Salamandastron, and a meteor shower takes place in the skies. It's radiant point hails from the constellation of The Swordmouse

- On the second night of the Swordmouse meteor shower, Martin and co. now watch from the upper levels of Salamandastron. Boar waxes poetically on badgers, and their affinity for the celestial and of prophecy. One meteor breaks the atmosphere, and crashes some distance away along the beach
- In the secret rooms of Salamandastron, Boar delves deeper into the importance (or at least presence) of prophecy. Carvings and reliefs can allude to later books regarding the badgers of Salamandastron, in particular is Lord Brocktree's prophecy of tragedy and an absence of a badger ruler- until a golden striped lord returns to take his rightful role. Allusions to Martin and his quest to Salamandastron are present as well of course

- Timbalisto builds trebuchets, because trebuchets are hot right now

- During their total liberation of Mossflower, they come across St Ninian's church, a place that Martin feels a strong connection towards. Gonff comments favourably upon the building, before discovering a great tapestry upon the walls- The Tapestry, featuring Martin the Elder. Gonff points out the similarities between the two mice, with their relation unknown. In an alcove, Martin finds a set of armour that belonged to his grandfather, and his shield emblazoned with the letter M

- After the fall of Kotir, have Martin present and accept the terms of surrender of the soldiers who escaped the sinking, showing a surprising amount of empathy and concern for the well-being of Corim's prisoners, ensuring that they all receive proper food and care, before going after Tsarmina. This can contrast with say, earlier at the Battle of Marshank, reeling from the death of Rose he attempts to attack Badrang's surrendered forces before being stopped and told the importance of knowing when to put away down your sword

- Following his battle with Tsarmina, we see Martin in an OBE where he finds himself at the Gates of the Dark Forest (just because I'm a sucker for surreal, spirit world visuals)

- The Legend of Luke (Books 1+3) can easily be condensed to an epilogue of sorts, a montage of Martin and co. venturing northwards, a moment of reflection at the caves where Luke's tribe lived (maybe in terms of staging, mirroring the moment when Martin watched Luke departing on the Sayna), finding the wreck of the Arfship and Vurg and co., where they can have a brief conversation, and present "In the Wake of the Red Ship" to Martin (show, don't tell- we all know the story). Martin walks out to the prow of the Arfship and drops Sayna's stone into the depths below
- Martin stops and looks back to the caves one last time, then shifts his gaze eastwards. Distantly on the horizon, he can see the mountains of the northeastern forest, where Noonvale is hidden. After a moment he turns southwards, and continues his journey home, where we find the Abbey's construction is well underway

- In the final scene, we see a slightly older and greyed Martin clad in a plain green habit, I like to imagine tending to the lawns and the orchards with the gardeners or perhaps writing poetry (or riddles...) before being waylaid by dibbuns playing their games. He joins them, finally showing contentment and happiness after such a long and hard life. Eventually he must rest, as this is now a luxury he can afford. He lays down in the gardens and drifts peacefully off to sleep, dreaming of roses in bloom all across Redwall, and a young mouse in armour emerging from the Abbey, announced by a chorus of bells.
- in a post-credits scene, Sunflash the Mace arrives at Salamandastron, fulfilling Lord Brocktree's prophecy

JangoCoolguy

^ Now that's what I'm talkin' about!  :hearteyes:

I like the way you think!  ;D