News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Weapons of Warriors

Started by Dotti, September 08, 2011, 12:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dotti

So, I'm trying to create a list of the most skilled warriors of each species with each kind of common weapon.  Please suggest warriors to fit into each catagory (especially the blank ones) and/or new weapons! I'll edit in everyone's suggestions. Thanks! :)
Sword
Mouse:  Martin the Warrior (obviously!), Dandin, Mattimeo, Matthias, Luke the Warrior, Martin II
Squirrel:  Rakketty Tam, Samkim, Doogy Plum, Triss
Hare:  Rake Nightfur, Derran Fortindom,  Sabretache
Mole: ?
Otter: Deyna, Finbarr Galedeep 
Badger:  Brocktree, Rawnblade, Boar
Shrew: Log-a-logs

Sling  
Mouse:  Martin, Gonff, Rose
Squirrel:  Jukka the sling
Hare:  ?
Mole:  Dinny
Otter:  Tiria, many Skippers
Badger:  ?
Shrew:  ?

Bow and Arrows
Mouse:  ?
Squirrel:  Lady Amber, Samkim
Hare: Hon Rosie, Clary, Thyme,
Mole:  ?
Otter:  Grath Longfletch, Inbar
Badger:  Lona Bowstripe,  
Shrew:  ?
Other:  Vallug Bowbeast

Dagger/Dirk
[/b]
Mouse:  Dandin, Gonff
Squirrel: Tam
Hare: Tammo
Mole: ?
Otter:  Deyna
Badger: ?
Shrew:  

Lance
[/b]
Mouse:  
Squirrel:  Felldoh
Hare:  Thyme, Rosie, Clary,  Ballaw, (wasn't there a "Lancejack" somebody in Rakkety Tam? )
Mole:  
Otter:
Badger:
Shrew
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Log-a-Log

You could maybe say Martin and Gonff for mice in the sling category. I think it said they were accurate with slings
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

James Gryphon

For swords, you can't forget Boar, the first male badger in the series. Brocktree did wield a sword in the book by his name, but nobody even knew that that was his weapon until the book was released; until then everyone assumed he used an axe, because that's what he's shown having in Dark Forest in Outcast of Redwall. Boar used a sword "first". ;)

Rawnblade also used a sword, just like his ancestors, so he would be a good fit on the list.

For moles, I guess that mole hero in Sable Quean would be the top swordfighter.

Rapiers are technically swords, so you could fit just about any Log-a-Log in and they would qualify. The one that probably stands out the most is the Log-a-Log from The Long Patrol, since we actually see him easily beat a Rapscallion one-on-one.

Gonff and Dinny were both qualified slingers, and I believe Martin works for that field as well.

Logically, the Skipper of Otters (I'm thinking Warthorn, from Mossflower, but any of them would work) would be also be top slinger, as would just about any other otter.

Finally, it's worth noting that Grath Longfletch and that male otter from Ruddaring were both skilled archers.

Edit: Looking over the list again: I'd include Sabretache on the hares sword list, since I prefer older characters over newer ones in these kinds of things.
« Subject to editing »

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Axtel Sturnclaw, the warrior mole from The Sable Quean, wielded a war hammer.

Skipper in Triss had Martin's sword briefly, didn't use it in combat.

When it comes to bow and arrows, I think of Lonna Bowstripe and Vallug Bowbeast as well as Doomeye. Vermin not counted, Samkin was fair with a bow.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Tiria Wildlough

Rawnblade did carry a broadsword. :) And you could include the Skipper of otters in Mossflower and his band in the Slings category. ;)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Janglur Swifteye

There should be a dagger category, with several mice (dandin, tam, gonff, etc), and Deyna in the Otters, and I dunno who else.

DanielofRedwall

Rake Nightfur used twin claymores, just so you know.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Nightfire

Brigadier Thyme, Colonel Clary, and Hon Rosie all used longbows. You can put them in that catagory of bow-users. Don't forget to add in a lance catagory. Felldoh, the aforementioned hares, and Ballaw DeQuincewold used lances.  :)
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Dotti

Added, thank you all! :) :)
Quote from: DanielofRedwall on September 08, 2011, 12:11:08 PM
Rake Nightfur used twin claymores, just so you know.
Yes, I didn't think there would be enough beasts other than hares (and Tam and Doogy) who carried claymores, so I'm just lumping all the different swords together.
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

James Gryphon

Since daggers are on the list now, it's worth mentioning that those were Gonff's main weapons in Mossflower, particularly in the battle against Ripfang's horde. He also briefly carried a lance in that same battle.

If dirks are daggers, then we can add Tammo to the list too; he didn't fight as much or likely as well as a lot of these others, but his aim was still good enough to toss it right into the hole that Gurgan Spearback made.
« Subject to editing »

Nightfire

A dirks is actually too long to be classified as a dagger, but it's too short to be called a sword. So a dirk is actually a completely new genre of blade. Here is a dirk, in case none of you know what one looks like.

Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

It's technically a long dagger, or a rather short sword. Calling it a dagger will suffice, it fits the same general purpose and effect. In the world of Redwall, they're classified as something of a hybrid between a dagger and sword, but I think labeling it as a dagger makes more sense given you aren't going to use one too much as a blade for parrying, chopping or slashing, the common movements of the longer sword.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Nightfire

His name is Samkim, not Samkin. Just pointing it out. Teesy spelling error!

Don't forget to include Martin II in the sword catagory, and Finnbar Galedeep carried twin cutlasses, so he belongs in the sword catagory too.

Dotti

Thanks Nightfire! :)  I wasn't sure about that.  I haven't read Salamandastron in forever, and the first time I read it my dad read it aloud to me, and I thought it was Samkin.  I discovered that it was Samkim when I read it myself, but I couldn't remember which one was correct.  Thanks for suggesting Finnbar!  I completely forgot about him. 
Am I incorrect about this, or did Cuthbert Frunk W. Bluddpaw use a lance to kill the Deepcoiler?   Was it mentioned what kind of weapons the hares in High Rhulain used?  I don't have a copy, so I can't look it up. :(                     
~Brian Jacques

Dotti

Any suggestions, anyone???  I'd like to fill this in a bit more.....
~Brian Jacques