Ceteruler Brookskimmer Duel (closed)

Started by BrookSkimmer, August 31, 2013, 02:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrookSkimmer

The forest was dense and quiet. Sentinel pines stood, covered with dripping moss in the last rays of he day. Somewhere an owl hooted, beginning its evening of wakefulness.  Shula set down her pack. The hare and her companion had been traveling for most of the day if one didn't count the three hour nap by the side of a rather inviting pond. The forest was too large to pass through in one day and so the one night camping under the pines had been planned.

The sandy furred hare whistled as she set up camp, finishing by lighting a small campfire near where they would rest. She knew it was best not to fall into heavy sleep in such a place. One never knew what might be lurking in the trees, especially at night.

Shula was training to be inducting in the Riverband's Fur and Footfighter regiment. She was lean and fit, ready to take on most foe that might come her way. She was already lethally trained in the art of boxing and also fairly deft with her dirk and dagger.

Gradually the sun set and Shula watched her fire crackle away. She nodded to her companion, another hare before rummaging in her travelling pack for a snack.

"I say chap! One works up quite the hunger when travelling! You havin' some bally chow too eh Sored?"
------------------------------------------------

The sun had now set and Yovel was hungery. The weasel licked his lips pensively as he watched a small fire crackle not far away.

"Bet they gots good scoff eh Slipen?" He eyed the vixen.

The two had once been part of a band of vermin but it had been broken up by hares not unlike those that now sat about the fire. The weasel and vixen were not close enough to see that it was two hares. Their forms were covered in shadows.

"If'n we sneaks in real quiet, I bet we could off these beasts and take their food. What do you think?'

Ceteruler

Sored watched the tops of the pine trees, still and silent as he passed by. Excepting, of course, the odd bird or two that made its home there. What must it be like, being a tree, with bark as brown as his fur and dark green needles or leaves sticking from every which part of his body like spiny fur? He wondered, not paying attention to where his feet landed. Just sitting there all the day long had to be boring, until a bird moved in. Then the excitement and hectic lifestyle of a bird family would be there to watch all day long. Well...

Good thing I don't have to worry about being a bally tree, the young hare thought to himself, looking back down at his feet. It was getting late, so they would set up camp soon. As soon as they came to the clearing, it only took one glance at his female companion, and they both knew what to do. As Shula set up camp, he went to the nearest water source to refill their canteens. While he was on the subject of being something else...

A fish's life must be bloomin' boring, too. All they had to do was swim, swim, swim all day long! Find some food- whatever algae or plants they ate- and the avoid being eaten. Nothing else to do. One couldn't talk underwater, so no friends to make, no limbs or weapons to spar with nonexistent friends. "Yep, glad I'm a hare," he muttered under his breath. The blue-eyed hare didn't have quite the over-the-top accent that his species normally did. He considered himself a sort of Borderland hare, like the Borderland squirrel, Racketty Tam. That legend didn't have the same type of inflection as that of his friend, Doogy Plum, or so the story went.

Soon, he was back at the small camp Shula had set up, and sitting near the fire.vIt wasn't long before Shula started talking about food while eating it. "I say chap! One works up quite the hunger when travelling! You havin' some bally chow too eh Sored?

A grin spread across his face. "Travelling? You mean napping? We wasted half the day away snoring next to that blinkin' lake. And you snore loudly, too. I only slept half the bally time thanks to your thundering! You furry feedbag, if ye get hungry from just sleeping I fear to think of what happens when we actually get going!" Of course he said all this jokingly; he and Shula were good friends, so all banter was playful, and they both knew it.

"Nah, no food for me just yet," he continued, slipping his sword case off of his back. Sored withdrew the blade for a moment, inspecting to make sure everything was shipshape. With a soft hiss the blade was back inside the scabbard, and Sored leaned back against a log, letting the warmth from the fire relax his tired muscles.

The vixen slowly crept forward silently, her gleaming green eyes watching the two creatures that sat near a fire. Silencing her stomach, she winced and looked toward her weasel "companion". "Yes... plenty." It looked like they were just travelers with little on them, but who knew? Slipen would, as soon as she could get a little closer.

Sunk low against the ground, she slid undetectable toward the campfire, glancing between breaks in the bushes to see what they were about to ambush. Not caring if Yovel followed her, she peered harder and harder as their chatty voices rang in her ears. Hares, most definitely. Their voices were unmistakable, and she could catch glances of their ears flopping about. Perfect. They were talking about food, as well. So they most certainly had plenty on hand. Getting closer all the time, she figured out that one had a sword, and the other either had just a knife or was totally unarmed.

Retreating, she removed herself from earshot and beckoned Yovel closer, her silky smooth voice down to a murmur. "Hares. Two hares sitting there, like there's not a care in the world. Here's what we'll do. You sneak up close to their campfire, and I'll be on the other side, close as well. I'll shoot the one armed with the sword. Once you hear the sound of my arrow, charge in and jump the other one- I don't think she's armed, so she'll be a piece of cake for you... right? I'll be right in after you. Okay? Go." With a quick motion, she gave Yovel a prod on the shoulder in the direction he needed to go.

BrookSkimmer

You furry feedbag, if ye get hungry from just sleeping I fear to think of what happens when we actually get going

Shula elbowed her friend in the shoulder as he joshed her.

"I need my proper nourishment an' all that wot! You know snorin' like a bally saw takes works matey!"

She took a bite of oat bread and chewed reflectively.

"No grub for you eh?" She winked at him. "Not much like a hare are you? More like that blinkin' squirrel legend Rakkety Tam!" The hare scarfed the rest of the oat farl and dug around in the pack until she came across a small flagon bottle. She popped the stopper and took a swig.

"Nothin' like some clean crisp cider to make you feel alive."

Soon Shula felt full and leaned back on the log with her friend. "This is the life eh? Just two pals on a grand ol' adventure." As she spoke she slid her dirk from its scabbard and examined the blade.

It was fashioned by their badger lord and sharpened to a deadly point. The blade was reflective and the light of the fire played across its lethal edge.

"Wonder if we'll get a chance to use our skills soon once we're joined up to the bally Fur and Footfighter regiment."
---------

Yovel let the vixen take a closer look. The weasel sat down and sucked at a blade of grass until she returned.

I'll be right in after you. Okay? Go.

As she pushed him, Yovel stood up half way and brushed himself down.

"Alright, alright..." He whispered. "Yer always pushin' me around vixen." His stomach growled audibly. "Let's git this over with an' get some grub in us."

Yovel slunk closer and closer to the fire. He finally ended up squatting in a stand of tall grass just to the side nearest the log the hares leaned against. He leaned back and a twig snapped behind him.
-------

snap

Shula's ears shot up and she turned to the side. He dirk came out in a flash but for the moment she remained seated.

"We got company mate."

BrookSkimmer