News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Your favorite Series, Trilogies and Novels

Started by martins#1fan, July 14, 2011, 06:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick your fav.

Lord of the Rings
21 (51.2%)
Redwall
40 (97.6%)
Narnia
15 (36.6%)
Warriors
4 (9.8%)
The Pilgrim's Progress
1 (2.4%)
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
1 (2.4%)
War of the Worlds
2 (4.9%)
The Love comes softly series
0 (0%)
Winnie the Pooh
4 (9.8%)
Harry Potter
11 (26.8%)
Star Wars
9 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Rainshadow

Quote from: AbbotPlumble on July 02, 2012, 12:02:29 AM
When I say Lord of the Rings, I mean the books.  I enjoyed the movies, but the books I've read countless times.  And with that, I also include the Hobbit and Simarillion. 

Redwall, hands down, has become my all time favorite series.  I think for reasons why, I don't have to explain on the Redwall forum! :) Since it would be fairly obvious. :)

And Star Wars has been my favorite series of movies ever since I saw Return of the Jedi in the theater....ugh! :)  I feel old now :) considering a lot of the folk around here are quite younger.

Have you read the Simarillion?  I have a friend that did, and I was thinking that I might, but it just sounds long and boring.  Right now I'm just trying to finish the Return of the King.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

psybox

my answers are:

• Lord Of The Rings
  • Redwall (as already stated, this is a redwall forum, so obviously)
        and, last but not least
  • harry potter
Simarillion is a book that is apparently the origin story of the rings in LOTR.

AbbotPlumble

Quote from: Rainshadow on July 02, 2012, 12:06:24 AM
When I say Lord of the Rings, I mean the books.  I enjoyed the movies, but the books I've read countless times.  And with that, I also include the Hobbit and Simarillion. 

Redwall, hands down, has become my all time favorite series.  I think for reasons why, I don't have to explain on the Redwall forum! :) Since it would be fairly obvious. :)

And Star Wars has been my favorite series of movies ever since I saw Return of the Jedi in the theater....ugh! :)  I feel old now :) considering a lot of the folk around here are quite younger.

Have you read the Simarillion?  I have a friend that did, and I was thinking that I might, but it just sounds long and boring.  Right now I'm just trying to finish the Return of the King.

It is very long.  Now, it is a great book, but it can be very dry at times.  Because it is essentially a history and myth of Middle-Earth.  I would do some research, see if it sparks an interest. It is a quality work, but requires a good deal of effort on the readers part.

My first time tackling it, I didn't give it a fair shot and dismissed it.  But now since reading it my 4th time, I love it.  Hope that helps.

Redwaller

AbbotPlumble

The Houghton Mifflin Publishing copy runs about 400 or so pages.  But I guess I should rephrase what I mean by long.  400 pages is about normal for a Tolkien work, but the Simarillion seems very long because it requires re-reading in parts. 

It can be very confusing.  And sometimes when reading it, it can feel like you are doing homework as opposed to reading for enjoyment. :)  But worth it, truly worth it.

I suggest picking up the Complete Guide to Middle-Earth by Robert Foster.  It will help out immensely and increase your enjoyment of it.  Christopher Tolkien even recommends that guide.

Rainshadow

Quote from: AbbotPlumble on July 02, 2012, 12:14:34 AM
Quote from: Rainshadow on July 02, 2012, 12:06:24 AM

It is very long.  Now, it is a great book, but it can be very dry at times.  Because it is essentially a history and myth of Middle-Earth.  I would do some research, see if it sparks an interest. It is a quality work, but requires a good deal of effort on the readers part.

My first time tackling it, I didn't give it a fair shot and dismissed it.  But now since reading it my 4th time, I love it.  Hope that helps.

Yeah, I'd heard it was about the history of Middle Earth and the elves, I just didn't know if it would be worth reading.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

AbbotPlumble

I guess it also comes down to how much of a Tolkien person you are.  It is definitely one of the most debated books by fans. 

I'm one of those people who if they like something, tackles it with full force and wants to learn "everything" about the subject. Lol.  So I guess I can be a little extreme.  :P

Redwaller

AbbotPlumble

Quote from: Redwaller on July 02, 2012, 12:06:04 AM
What's Simarrillion?

Whoops, sorry Redwaller I missed your post on this before.  It is essentially the myth stories and histories of Middle-Earth that the characters in the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings speak about in the books.

Redwaller

Yeah i made a research and really want to read it!

AbbotPlumble

Excellent!  Keep me posted on what you think of it when you get to it.  I'm always interested to hear folk's thoughts on it. 

Redwaller

As soon as possible i'm going to buy it!

redwallgurl

Fun. is a fantastic band.