TRIBUNAL OF REDWALL --- No Comments Here

Started by cairn destop, November 14, 2014, 10:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cairn destop

The First Day

The female mouse stood before the door, as much a guardian as a herald.  She turned her back on Tassel and gave a gentle knock.  The mouse didn't wait for a response, she opened the door and stepped into the room.  Once pass the threshold, she kept her back to the door.  Tassel followed.  As soon as Tassel stepped far enough into the room that the door would not strike her when closed, the mouse exited, sealing her in the office.

Tassel never had an opportunity to see where the Father Abbot worked.  His office appeared larger than it was due to the huge window dominating the wall opposite the door.  To either side there were shelves running almost to the ceiling holding an array of books.  A quick glance behind her revealed even more books.  Nothing within the room revealed anything about its occupant's personality.

With the exception of a heavy wooden desk located at the very center of the room, the office contained minimum furnishings.  Opposite the desk sat a sofa big enough for two other guests.  A pair of chairs flanked it like miniature guards.  Not certain about the proper protocol, she stood at a spot halfway between the sofa and the desk.

Behind the desk, the leader of Redwall Abbey sat.  He leaned forward in his chair, his grey muzzle resting atop the interlocked fingers of his paws.  The light green color of his habit's hood may have accentuated the graying muzzle and brownish fur of the shrew's face, but it did nothing to soften it.  This fellow's expression showed no evidence of friendliness. 

"A good meal will have to wait; duty first," the shrew muttered. 

Tassel and the Father Abbot engaged in a brief staring contest.  She felt the old shrew might not accept coming out less than first so she maintained her silence.  She broke eye contact and gazed down at the rug. Time stretched as she examined the fine weave and intricate pattern.  She waited.

"You are about as welcomed as Razdor."  A slight pause before the shrew continued.  "No, I suppose an uneducated vermin wouldn't know the fable about a demon responsible for sewing discord among friends.  You are just like that legendary demon.  Razdor did it to the entire world; you caused the same trouble at our Abbey."

Father Draccon rose from his chair and walked to the large window.  He continued looking outside as he spoke.  She wanted to demand he at least face her, but some instinct warned her that challenging this one would not be wise.

"I'm now regretting the favor I did King Meles.  I thought this a simple trial and Redwall's independence guaranteed justice.  Maybe it did for the ruler of the Northern Alliance, I don't know.  If you were some woodlander dignitary or some vermin beast, none would be concerned about your final fate, but badgers have a special place in the history of our Abbey, especially females."

The Father Abbot never acknowledged his guest by facing her.  "Perhaps King Meles hoped we would be so shocked by your crimes that we would order your execution, thereby keeping his paws clean.  All I know is your case has destroyed this Abbey's peace and harmony.  Many here want you dead; most want you gone since you represent every disgusting thing vermin have done to woodlanders.  Your support of our enemy sickens us and your constant presence reminds us just how evil such creatures can be."

The shrew glanced over his shoulder and glared at her.  "Did you know about the many altercations between Lady Pellanore and former general Vindicarr outside the courtroom during the trial?  They remained verbal, though quite heated.  It escalated after the first part of your sentence."  He waited a short time, but Tassel kept her counsel.  "I'm not speaking to the wind.  Respond while I'm feeling amiable."

"You seem to have forgotten I remained in isolation both before and after my flogging.  How can you blame me for whatever bad blood existed between your Badgermom and the hare?"

"Oh but I can, vermin.  Vindicarr's eager anticipation of your next session in the triangle infuriated our dear lady so much she challenged him to a duel.  I forbad it, but they slipped beyond our gates.  Lady Pellanore killed the hare, but died four days later from her injuries.  The world lost two honorable citizens while you continue living.  As far as I'm concerned, we came out the looser in the exchange."

"So you're not happy with the verdict.  Why not send me away or have me executed?  I know it would please you.  You had the chance when you sentenced me."

Tassel's sarcastic tone had the shrew spinning around and stomping to his desk.  One paw shoved the chair out of his way with such force it toppled.  Father Draccon leaned across the desk and Tassel noted how his eyes glowed with an inner fire.  He did not mask his anger too well.

"It seems the emotional ploy worked on Lady Sudditta, and Chief Merkez.  They argued long and hard for your life.  I preferred having you executed deep in the woods and leaving your body for the carrion birds while shipping your head back to the king as proof of your death.  However, after ten days of endless haranguing, I conceded.  I now consider that a mistake.

"After your initial stand within the triangle, the three of us were bombarded with demands about sending you to a proper prison.  It would mean imposing the minimum sentence as defined by the king's court, which would more than double what even Redwall's Counsel of Elders thought a reasonable punishment.  Lady Pellanore's death stopped the Counsel's long deliberation regarding your second flogging.  Against my better judgment, the Counsel of Elders decided your sixteen years of involuntary servitude would commence when you were released from the cellar at dawn.  I objected, but their decision was unanimous.  I had to concede to their decision."

The Father Abbot circled the desk and made for the door.  The shrew waited until she faced him.  Father Draccon yanked the door open and led Tassel through the Abbey's corridors to the main door.  They continued their rapid pace across the open courtyard. 

Soon the two stood outside a tower doorway guarded by one of Redwall's residents.  Father Draccon extracted a key ring from the pocket of his habit and opened the lock.  Once inside, they climbed a spiral staircase that wound itself around the interior walls until it abutted another heavy wooden door.  Using a second key, the shrew opened it and motioned her inside.

Tassel beheld a chamber that almost replicated her cell under Fiery Mountain.  The only thing missing were the iron bars.  A wooden bed mirrored the one back there, even to the eyebolts located at each corner.  The only item out of place was a wide leather strap hanging from a hook over the bed.

"I must say, Father Abbot, you do have a strange sense of décor."

"Consider it inspiration.  If your work is satisfactory, it remains where it is.  Cause me any problems and I shall apply it as much as I deem fit.  Perhaps my arm is not as powerful as Vindicarr's, but I'll do my best to make the experience most unpleasant.  Since Lady Sudditta and Chief Merkez have returned home, your fate is in my paws.  For my part, I have no intention of coddling vermin."

It took a few minutes showing her the limits of her quarters.  With the exception of the tower's roof, Tassel learned anything beyond the other doors remained inaccessible, barred from the outside.  The Father Abbot explained how each morning she would be awakened, given a quick breakfast and provided a list of duties.  If she completed them, she could enjoy an evening meal before being sealed in her cell. 

Father Draccon emphasized the consequences of any misdeed.  He also informed her she would be chained to her bed each night.  If she was good, there would be enough slack for a comfortable night's sleep.  If not, she would experience a strapping while chained to a bench in a less than restful position.

"And you expect me to accept such harsh treatment?"

"To the contrary, vermin, I'm hoping you do resist." 

Father Draccon's face displayed a predatory sneer worse than the one the hare showed.  Tassel felt a shiver run up her spine, and it had nothing to do with the cold.  This shrew wanted some excuse to hurt her.

"Since my fellow judges will remain ignorant of your fate, I need only justify my actions to the Counsel of Elders, and they will not object if I show evidence you became belligerent, uncontrollable, or endangered others.  The Counsel will claim Redwall tried showing mercy, but you responded like all vermin do and we were forced into shipping you off to a proper prison.  It means a far harsher sentence, but what happens there will be of no consequence to us."

With a beckoning of his paw, Father Abbot ordered Tassel to follow him.  Once outside, the guard joined them as they marched across the field to the triangle.  Father Draccon ordered the posts be dug up, cut into kindling, and the cellar scrubbed by nightfall.  He never checked her reaction to her workload.  He just turned back to the Abbey's main building leaving her with the attendant guard.

It required over an hour digging each pole out of the ground.  Tassel then spent another hour dragging them to the woodpile and reducing each log into kindling.  Before the hour of noon, she entered her cellar prison with mop and pail.  As Tassel emptied the dirty water for the final time, she noted how dark the night sky appeared.  Despite the late hour, she rushed back to her former prison cell.

As she exited the building, the otter guard blocked her path.  "It's well past the final bell and the Father Abbot awaits you in the tower."

"Not until I return this to its rightful owner."  Tassel revealed the rag doll, Miss Stickerback.

Tassel and her guard stared into each other's eyes, measuring their opponent's determination.  They remained locked in this silent duel of wills for the shortest of times before the otter stepped to the side.  As Tassel hurried to the Abbey's main building, the guard fell into step behind her. 

With the hallways deserted, none saw the two slip into the dormitory.  Tassel hesitated.  She spotted the sleeping hogget Shortspike.  She approached the bed with all the stealth she possessed and slipped one claw under the tot's arm.  Tassel lifted the hedgehog's exposed arm as slow as she could while watching the dibbun.  Once the girl's paw rested on her doll, she withdrew and followed the guard to her prison tower.

Tassel leaned back, her voice sounding so distant.  "I knew the Abbey's leaders resented me, but I always held onto the hope things would get better someday if the residents saw me as peaceful.  Though I do admit there were days when a bad night's sleep and my newest welts had me wanting to lash out at whichever resident next crossed my path."

Stiles lowered his quill and removed the excess ink.  The squirrel placed the pen near the knife he used to maintain a fine point.  Whenever Tassel told her version of events, she had to often prod him into transcribing her words.  After describing that first day, the squirrel kept glancing at the floor.

"An interesting story, Badgermom Tassel, though I'm surprised our former Father Abbot never recorded your private conversation.  I always found him so diligent when it came to maintaining an accurate diary.  He did write some less than complimentary things regarding the Counsel of Elders overruling his decision of sending you to a proper prison.  He also mentioned your heavy workload, but nothing more.  From what I read, his threats of physical harm were nothing but bluster as his diaries never referred to you by name after your release from the cellar."

Tassel shifted her position on the couch.  She studied the squirrel scribe sitting behind his podium near the opposite wall.  His words surprised her.  It raised her hackles as well as her ire.

"Are you telling me the Father Abbot never mentioned how he laid into me with that strap on my first night out of the cellar?  He never revealed how many times he repeated the beating?"

All it took was a shake of the squirrel's head.  Tassel needed some outlet for her emotions.  She snagged the nearest pillow and threw it in the direction of the scribe.  It sailed over the ducking writer and struck the chalkboard behind Stiles, smudging notes made earlier.

"Why that vile, Hellsgate demon's spawn," she snarled. 

Tassel stomped a path before the couch from one wall to the other while Stiles peered over the wooden podium.  "That shrew made my life as miserable as he promised.  He never allowed me visitors and the slightest complaint about my actions resulted in a firm application of the strap.  And now you tell me there is no evidence substantiating my claim?"

Stile's timid voice confirming her statement set off another blistering list of descriptive words, all directed at Father Draccon.  "Even after all these years, I cannot pass the tower where I was imprisoned without shuddering.  There are times I awaken in a cold sweat from a dream where I am once again in that room." 

Tassel dropped back on the sofa, her voice still straining for self-control.  "No wonder everyone thought Father Draccon such a nice fellow.  He kept his abuse of me a closely guarded secret."

The fiery oration continued.  Eventually Tassel's voice tired of vilifying the long deceased Father Abbot.  Though she kept her utterances closer to a normal level, the list of vulgarities continued. 

Stiles reached into his almost depleted satchel of scrolls.  "Let's forget about describing your life as an indentured servant since it brings up so many unpleasant memories.  Why don't we examine how it all ended?"

Tassel pushed away the proffered scroll.  "Not right now, sir.  I need a good night's sleep and a quiet day to purge my anger.  Tomorrow, right after the Dibbun Bell, we shall try to conclude this account."
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

cairn destop

Change

"Another tankard of October Ale, Sire?  I understand this year's vintage is exceptional, though our brew master does have the habit of making the same claim every year."

King Meles sipped his drink as he lounged in the comfort of the Father Abbot's office.  He placed his paw over the tankard, blocking the shrew's attempt at topping his mug. 

"Too much of a good thing will leave my head spinning and no doubt I'll be offered another while downstairs.  Best we conclude our business so we can return to the Dibbun Day festivities with clear heads.  That way, even oldsters like us can enjoy such a fun day."

The king knew his hare guards stood at the end of the corridor leading to the Abbot's private office.  Their presence kept all from approaching and even a sharp-eared hare would remain ignorant of anything said inside.  It made conversing far more productive between the two rulers as they could avoid the diplomatic niceties that sometimes led to misinterpretations.

"Your letter last week was quite specific about your purpose and I was most pleased following your orders, Sire.  Other than myself, only the gatekeeper knows your secret and she isn't one who talks.  Your news will become the highlight of this year's celebration."

"Not everything in my letter was the truth, Father Abbot."  He placed his tankard on the floor by his chair.  "I never intended asking you to reconsider joining our alliance.  It was included in my official communication to legitimize my coming here and speaking one on one.  I'll tell you now I would advocate just the opposite."

"To think I spent so much time trying to find an excuse not to accept your offer.  Though I'm the Father Abbot and I rule here, there are times I must bow to the will of Redwall's Counsel of Elders.  When you make your big announcement and with everyone in a festive mood, I may have found it hard advocating our continued independence."

"You do know why," asked King Meles.

"It's our vermin badger.  If we join your alliance, we would have to surrender her to your courts, something which would offend our sense of justice since she has already been convicted by us.  Freeing her isn't an option as there are those who would see this as preferential treatment, or us maneuvering into a more favorable position with you.  Either could cause a rift in your union.  Keeping her here isn't possible as it would be in defiance of your laws.  Is that a fair summation of the problems our joining your Northern Alliance would create?"

His question had King Meles chuckle.  "You have a keen eye for politics, Father Abbot.  My official report will say you refused my request for an alliance.  Redwall will remain independent and beyond my jurisdiction.  No matter what the other nobles may think of your vermin badger, they too will disregard what has been labeled an Abbey matter.  However, her presence does create another problem we must address."

"Than you have me at a disadvantage.  I see no problem with her status or her eventual exile."

"I do believe it's time we change her status from indentured servant as such a term is tantamount to calling her a slave.  We are both opposed to such an abomination and so another solution is needed.  Yet I cannot allow her exile, now or later, without incurring the wrath of too many nations.  What is needed is a way of keeping her imprisoned while offering her a sense of freedom.  This way both factions can claim my judgment favored their position."

"An interesting dilemma, your majesty; have you found such a solution to your problem?"

King Meles polished off the dregs of his mug before responding.  He needed time to gauge the shrew's reaction.  If he opposed him, he had no power to force his will.  Then the problem of her eventual release might cause political troubles at a future time.

"I intend offering her probation for life.  Tassel will be confined within the outer walls of this Abbey and still subject to your orders.  If you or your successors believe her conduct ever warrants it, or she ever proves herself a danger to you or others, surrender her to the full weight of woodlander justice and we will reinstate her original sentence.  I'll not intervene if you ever exercise this option.  I'm certain just the threat of such a harsh punishment will keep her docile.  The downside to my proposal is finding her a position where she can be seen as making a vital contribution to your society."

Draccon sputtered.  "Our residents resent her presence, but tolerate her because they know she will be expelled at some defined date.  Keeping her here for life will not sit well."

"Has she ever proven to be a problem over this last year as an indentured servant?"

"Everyone concedes she has become a model citizen, hard working, obedient, respectful, and quiet.  I would be hard pressed denying her such a change in status without incurring opposition from the Counsel of Elders after you make such a public announcement.  As much as they detest that sow, your offer would appeal to their sense of fairness.  Though I cannot think of what duty lies within her ability and meets your criteria, but it need not be decided tonight.  It can wait."

He levered himself out of his chair and stood next to the door.  "Then our business is concluded, Father Abbot.  I do believe the best time for making my royal proclamation is when we get downstairs.  I expect our vermin badger is in attendance?  She should hear about my decision regarding her status from me."

The shrew moved to the door, but hesitated.  "Her behavior was not to my liking today so I confined her to her cell for the evening.  It will take me a few moments making her presentable.  Enjoy the festivities, your majesty; I'll join you as soon as possible."

They parted company at the end of the corridor.  While the shrew took a path through the Abbey, King Meles retraced his steps to the foyer before going into the Tapestry Room.  As he strolled through the Abbey, his attendant hare guards surrounded him.  His position required them, but he sometimes wished he could leave these soldiers back home.

When the king's entourage entered the hallway, everything stopped.  The musicians ceased playing and like a pebble within a still pond, the silence rippled outward until every conversation ended.  A nod of his head and a wave of his paw restarted the music.  As the melodious notes filled the room, the residents whispered as if this some formal function that required lowered voices.  Within a short span of time the gaiety that existed before his entrance returned.

Minstrels were well into one show when the Father Abbot returned to the head table.  At the intermission Father Draccon suggested they make their announcements, but he just grunted in reply.  Once more the minstrels played the vamp to their show.  When the play ended, every resident within the hall joined him applauding the actor's performance.

Since King Meles stood, he called out for silence.  In a matter of seconds, the Abbey residents focused on him. 

"Today is the day the Eternals bless our young with gifts.  It is a time of celebrating the good things about life at a time when the world is deep into the winter season and these cold nights seem to last forever.  Though I am your guest, I have brought presents that will mark today as a most memorable feast."

King Meles pointed to the door behind the head table.  One of his attendant hare guards rushed over and opened it on his unspoken command.  One by one, out stepped the many residents who served the king in his war against the pirate nation.  Residents applauded while long departed husbands, wives, and relatives called out to the returning multitude.

The Abbey's champion warrior entered first, holding aloft the Sword of Martin like a battle standard.  The golden pummel reflected the lantern lights.  The red jewel in its hilt bedazzled everyone within the room as its many facets drew every eye.  To a chorus of cheers the old otter returned the blade to its proper place above the tapestry portrait of the Abbey's founding warrior, Martin.

He allowed the thunderous cheers to resonate throughout the chamber.  Like the Father Abbot, King Meles applauded.  Just as it seemed like the returning warriors would join loved ones, he shouted above the din. 

"And now, a special gift for two who thought they lost so much."

Every eye followed his finger and focused on the open doorway.  A gaunt squirrel stepped into the room.  Despite his cleanliness, there was no hiding his unkempt appearance and the lusterless sheen of his black fur.  Even his green eyes remained devoid of life.  Two females shrieked at the top of their voices.  In a mad rush, Robertasin and her mother embraced the father and husband they thought long dead.

"His release was providential.  A troop ship lost its drinking water during a sudden storm.  It forced them to set course for an uninhabited island to replenish their supply.  At the same time, and on the opposite shore, a pirate ship did the same.  Needless to say, our Long Patrol hares and the menagerie of vermin sailors had a bit of a scuffle." 

He waited until the laughter ebbed.  "Our victory resulted in the capture of their ship, the extermination of every pirate, and the liberation of the surviving oar slaves.  Both ships docked less than an hour before my departure for your Abbey.  Needless to say, I couldn't leave this fellow behind, regardless of his condition."

After crushing wife and daughter in his embrace, the male squirrel's eyes flared to life.  The liberated oar slave stepped forward and pointed his finger at the female badger sitting in a distant corner.  At first his growl couldn't be heard over the cheering, but when he let out a second and louder snarl, the room fell silent.

"There is no way I could ever forget your scent.  How did you get here, badger?  And how is it you live?  I remember well what you did to my cousin and those hares when I was first captured."

Tassel stood and took a step forward while the crowd parted.  "And I remember you too, sir.  You were the one scheduled to serve the oar with the rebellious hare officer.  Since those who were chained alongside him earlier suffered harsh beatings, I'm wondering if you know the how and why behind his mysterious death."

"You accuse me of murder?  I'll not stand here and accept such an accusation from a beast who served slavers."  His eyes darted from face to face.  "Somebody give me a sword and I'll put this filthy vermin deep underground where she can rot." 

"There will be no bloodshed on this festive day."  King Meles allowed his voice to thunder.  With order restored, he stared at the squirrel family standing before the head table.  "The female badger has been tried, convicted, sentenced, and punished for her crimes.  If you cannot accept this judgment, withdraw in peace and with my blessings to you and your family."

For several seconds nobody moved.  The male squirrel lowered his arm and turned in his direction.  The former pirate prisoner's quick bow was just deep enough it could be considered respectful.  The rescued squirrel beckoned to his mate and daughter before they made for the exit.

cairn destop

Reunited

The disturbance created by the former oar slave when he spotted Tassel dampened the festive spirits for many of Redwall's inhabitants.  Few cheered the announcement about the pirates being defeated and peace restored.  The king remained standing before a quiet crowd.  As the silence grew, the king returned to his seat.  Attending musicians took this as a cue and played a lively tune.

Tassel retreated to a bench along one wall.  From there, she had a view of the entertainers as well as the head table where the Father Abbot sat.  I have got to think before I react.  No doubt Father Draccon will again demonstrate his displeasure with my tongue when I'm put back in my cell, and my back is sore enough.  Her mind fixated on the last minute instructions of the Father Abbot just before they entered the room about being on her best behavior and she remained oblivious to those around her.  It took the stroke of a gentle paw to distract her mind.

"When I asked if you would be here, our Father Abbot gave an adamant no.  I'm glad he relented; you deserve some fun."

"I don't think he had much of a choice, Henrietta.  According to the Father Abbot, the badger king has something to say I must hear."

That got the vole's attention.  She tried prying the information out of her, but pouted when she learned Tassel knew nothing about the upcoming announcement.  Then the vole embraced her, but Tassel's sudden intake of air had the vole retreat.  Henrietta stared at her with a befuddled look.

"I don't understand, Tassel.  Before the verdict, you always welcomed my hugs, now you avoid me."  The vole stood up and crossed her arms; she kept shifting as if deciding if she should stay or leave Tassel alone.  "Even when your guards allowed it, you push me away."

Tassel kept her muzzle pointed down at her feet.  "Considering what I am, I'm doing you a favor.  If you continue associating with me, others might suspect your actions.  You've been too good a friend to suffer because of me."

There came a loud snort from the vole.  "Don't you remember me telling you the harvest festival marked the end of my eighteenth year?  I'm considered an elder, so I need nobody's approval regarding who I befriend."

Then the vole's claws mussed the fur on Tassel's arm.  "I know the Father Abbot said you're not allowed to have anything personal or I would have given back your grooming kit.  So why don't you come to our furrier?  I could do wonders to that pelt of yours if you would just give me a chance."

"I have no time for such luxuries.  The Father Abbot keeps me far too busy and he isn't likely to grant me time off for a proper grooming.  I'm just happy he's allowing me to attend this festival, regardless of his reasons.  As you said, it is good to have some fun."  For the first time in many days, Tassel smiled.

While the minstrels played, she felt the heavy thump of the vole as she plopped down on the bench.  Her friend's words became a comforting noise and she nodded whenever there was a short pause.  Once more her friend tried wrapping her paws about her and this time Tassel did not withdraw.  It was worth the slight discomfort.

"The Dormitory must feel empty with only one dibbun.  Wonder if Shortspike is keeping whichever elder is assigned duty there busy.  If nothing else, I bet her continual use of the word silly is having them yank their fur out by the roots."

"You're right about that, Tassel.  I've heard the elders assigned to the Dormitory are most grateful when somebody else takes over.  The stories I hear say she has more energy than any two elders can contain.  I'm thinking she's lonely since Dale and Egress claimed private quarters once they became elders."

The two friends sat back and remained quiet while they enjoyed the show.  As the costumed actors performed, the vole would explain either the background to the story or the latest gossip regarding whichever resident Henrietta identified in the swirling crowd. 

King Meles rose after a long round of applause at the show's conclusion, which had the crowd grow quiet.  For the next few moments, the king thanked everyone for such a splendid time.  He complimented the chef and made a quip about not being able to walk through the doors because of such good cooking.  Laughter and loud clapping followed.

Once the room grew quiet, the badger king pointed at the bench in the distant corner.  Tassel knew he pointed at her.  Henrietta gave the reluctant Tassel a gentle prod and followed two paces back.  Each time she hesitated, Henrietta hissed at her, insisting she keep moving forward.  Now she stood before the table where both the badger king and the Father Abbot sat.

"I am here to announce a change in your status as indentured servant, Tassel.  Because of your exemplary behavior this last year, you have been placed on lifetime probation.  I'll not go into the details of your status as Father Draccon can explain them better when you meet in private tomorrow."

Tassel gave a deep bow and backpedaled but two paces before she heard the commanding tone of the king.

"Stay where you are, sow.  Since you are an elder, you will not receive a gift this day, but this doesn't mean I cannot give you as a gift."

He ignored her obvious confusion and pointed to the closed door at the end of the hall.  Two hare guards hastened as they obeyed their ruler's unspoken command.  When the door opened, a small hedgehog charged into the room.  She made straight for her.

"Momma T.  Momma T."

That voice held such joy and brought back such wonderful memories.  With a practiced ease, she knelt and caught the running hogget.  Both arms swept around the enthused girl.  Tassel extended her claws and without thinking, kneaded the girl's back while avoiding the spikes like she did so many times.  Then she pushed the child away from her.  Joy turned into horror.

"You're dead.  I saw you die and I held your lifeless body."  Tassel squeezed her eyes shut.  "This is all a bad dream; no, it's a nightmare and I'm back in my cell.  You're not real.  None of this is real."

"I'm real, Momma T.  After the arrow hit me, I fell and struck my head.  I went un ... I went uncon ... uncon." 

When Tassel opened her eyes, there stood a six-year-old hedgehog with her arms crossed in front of her like an angry elder.  The girl gave a powerful exhale, which had her lips sounding like sheets flapping in a strong wind and had her whiskers moving back and forth as if they were oars on a ship. 

"I fell asleep and couldn't wake up."

It was the kind of reaction Chaff had whenever the proper term for something important escaped her mind or was unknown to her.  Such a serious expression on a young child always made Tassel giggle when she was a slave.  Here, it jarred her sense of reality.  She reached out to Chaff and when her fingers felt the warm body, pulled the child into a crushing embrace.  Now the crying hogget wrapped her shorter arms around Tassel's neck.

"The Healers kept me in the Infirmary back home for so long 'cause the arrow came close to my heart.  It took forever getting it out."

Tassel's paws kept feeling the hedgehog, confirming her reality.  "How did you get here?"

"Since I had no parents, the Healers sent me to their home once I was strong enough to cross the ocean."  Chaff pointed at the badger king.  "I told him who raised me and he brought me to Redwall Abbey."

The touching reunion ended when Father Draccon spoke.  "For now, Chaff must reside in the Dibbun Dormitory while you continue sleeping in your tower.  Once I have found you a permanent duty, I'll have you moved into proper quarters and I might consider granting you visitation rights."

The Father Abbot pointed at the two elders assigned to the Dormitory.  "Chaff will go with them while you return to your room."

A reluctant Tassel released the girl and watched as the elderly couple led Chaff up the steps.  At first, Chaff balked, but a quick kiss from Tassel and the promise of seeing her later stopped the hedgehog's resistance.  While the two elders and Chaff climbed the steps, Tassel withdrew.

For the next three weeks, Tassel worked at various tasks within the Abbey.  Sometimes the other elders ignored her; most times they tolerated her presence.  When she received a summons to meet with the Father Abbot, Tassel experienced a sense of both expectation and dread.

Before Tassel rounded the final corner and approached the Father Abbot's office, she adjusted her latest piece of attire.  Thanks to one of the performers at the Dibbun Day festival, she now wore a mask over her scarred face.  She reached up and tugged at the fabric near one ear and after taking a deep breath, marched into the Father Abbot's office.

Inside the room sat an odd assortment.  The first one she knew all too well.  Father Draccon, wore his customary green habit and sat behind his desk.  On the chair next to him a female squirrel held a young female mouse sucking her thumb.

"You summoned me, Father Draccon," Tassle asked.

"After much consideration, I have decided you shall replace Lady Pellanore as our Badgermom.  Nurse Boteza tells me Sarweed is no longer a toddler, but a dibbun.  That makes her your responsibility."

"You want me as Badgermom?  I expected some lowly position, such as a woodchopper or a laundry worker.  Not something so important.  Why would you give me such a position?"

"As an outsider, I didn't expect you to know we at Redwall put a lot of faith in dreams and visions.  It is that simple a reason."

Sarweed chose this moment to make her presence known by sliding off the squirrel's lap.  The child marched up to her and stared at her before turning to the nurse.  The young mouse continued sucking on her thumb, which distorted her words. 

"Half no ace." she declared.

Tassel laughed as she knelt down before the mouse so they could look each other in the eye.  "Oh I have a face and you'll see it later today."

Nurse Boteza shifted her gaze from the mouse standing before her to the Father Abbot.  The squirrel hesitated and faced her.  The smile she displayed gave Tassel a feeling of confidence, as if this lady had judged her and found her worthy of the child.

"I will accompany our new Badgermom and show her around her new quarters.  Something tells me Tassel might need a little guidance over these next few days."

"Agreed.  Have her return here in an hour and I'll explain anything you overlooked," said the Father Abbot.  As Tassel prepared to shut the door, the Father Abbot called out to her.  "I would consider making your mask a permanent addition to your wardrobe.  It makes it easier talking to you without looking at such a sickening face."

An hour later, he explained what he expected of her as Redwall's new Badgermom.  The Father Abbot had just gotten comfortable when somebody knocked on his door.  His secretary opened it and poked her head inside.  Her expression said he should anticipate trouble.  Her words confirmed his suspicion.

"Father Abbot, the full Counsel of Elders is demanding an immediate audience."

"Not unexpected, Cinnamon; please send them in."

Five residents pushed past the mouse secretary.  They stomped into the room with fire in their eyes.  Taking their seats, they perched along the very edge of the chair glaring at him.  The only one who didn't sit was a female mole, the current leader of the Counsel.  She marched right up to the Father Abbot's desk and leaned over it as if she meant to make their meeting a more physical one.  Father Draccon never gave her a chance to talk.

"Over the last two weeks, Martin the Warrior has visited me in a vision.  Each night he insists for the safety of this Abbey's young, that badger must be given the position held by our late Lady Pellanore.  I resisted.  The next night the vision repeated with Martin being even more emphatic.  This morning, I realized he wasn't showing me what duty to give her; he was showing me a way of ridding Redwall of her presence."

Each member of the Counsel blinked.  Even their leader backed away from the desk.  The lady's face took on an expression of utter confusion.  A look mirrored by the assembled Counsel members.

"I have denied her any and all rights at disciplining those dibbuns without my expressed approval, which I'll never give.  Sooner or later, one of those youngsters will do something wrong and she will react.  Within the hour, a simple verbal reprimand will become a harsh thrashing only a Healer could fix.  At that point, every resident will express their indignation and demand I do something.  I shall then order her immediate expulsion, which you will support."

Realization came to the Counsel members and their eyes brightened.  The mole laughed and her voice turned delightful.

"Brilliant, sir.  Under the terms of her probation, once she is expelled, even if we later admit it was unfounded, she can never return.  King Meles must declare her an escaped vermin criminal.  If she is lucky, she will escape and disappear.  If she isn't, she'll either be killed when they try arresting her or she will feel the full weight of woodlander justice for whatever time remains of her life.  In either case, our paws are clean.  Our Abbey's reputation for justice remains untarnished and after another generation, that foul beast will be nothing more than a forgotten footnote in Abbey history."

Stiles retrieved the last scroll as Badgermom Tassel returned it to him.  He returned it to its proper place in the satchel he used.  Some inner sense told him Tassel needed to talk.  He puttered around his workstation until she voiced her question.

"If the Father Abbot conveniently forgot about his many disciplinary actions against me, why would he record this conversation?  Wouldn't it be a very damning blemish to his stellar reputation as a just arbitrator?"

"He didn't.  I'll not speak ill of the dead by saying who, but one Counsel Elder coveted the position of Father Abbot.  Six months prior to your arrival, Father Draccon had a mild heart seizure.  This Counsel Elder thought he could use the conversation as leverage and have himself elevated to Father Abbot after the shrew's death.  It didn't work.  Father Draccon already nominated his successor in a letter he wrote right after his recovery.  When he died of a massive stroke four days after your elevation to Badgermom, Father Hughnaught became our new leader.  One needs a very compelling reason to ignore the wishes of the former leader."

Tassel went to the fireplace where she prepared another pot of tea.  "I remember the day our chef took the title of Father Abbot.  Chaff was being quite a naughty child.  Father Hughnaught gave me full disciplinary authority over those dibbuns, with the exception of anything harsher than a spanking."  Tassel gave an amused snort.  "Our recently departed Father Abbot had too soft a heart.  If he ever suspected I intended such an action, he often suggested I consider another form of punishment."

Just then the door to the scribe's private office opened and a female mole leaned inside.  Her eyes scanned the room until they fixated on Tassel, who continued brewing the tea.  Stiles shivered when he noted the predatory look the mole gave the unsuspecting badger.

"Our Counsel of Elders has just announced we have a new leader.  Her very first order has Tassel reporting to her office."  When Tassel turned, the mole's eyes brightened.  "Redwall's new Mother Abbot is Robertasin.  Apparently the Counsel was swayed by her argument about living so close to the Abbey she knew what concerned us the most and since she lived outside the Abbey, she could act in our best interest without friendships influencing her decisions."

As the mole retreated and the door closed, the teapot crashed to the floor where it shattered.  Lurching forward, Tassel dropped to all fours and scurried to the trashcan.  Her paws held onto the rim as she vomited.  Each time he thought her distress had passed, another wave of nausea seized Tassel and she continued retching.

Stiles grunted as he assisted a quivering Tassel to her feet.  His voice overrode her objections and he led Tassel to the Healer's office.  Twice along the route Tassel tried convincing him she felt fine, but he remained deaf to her pleads.  A quick conversation with the Healer and she hustled Tassel into the examination room while Stiles sat outside the closed door.

After several moments, Healer Shortspike exited.  "You need not concern yourself, Mister Stiles; Tassel is in excellent health."

He jumped up as if the chair became a lit oven.  "Are you daft?  That badger just puked in my office four times.  Even the most inept of healers would know she must be sick."

"She is in excellent health."  Healer Shortspike held up her paw, which stopped any retort.  "I have instructed one of my staff to hunt down Bruno and have him brought here as soon as possible."

"Then she is sick or you would not be summoning her mate."  Now a belligerent note colored his words.

"Will you promise not to leave here until Bruno gives you permission?"

Stiles nodded.  The healer checked the immediate vicinity before she said another word.  Satisfied no other resident stood within hearing distance, she whispered her explanation.

"Tassel had a bad case of what some call morning sickness."  The stern expression melted as the statement's implication penetrated his mind.  "Let Bruno hear it from his mate first, but our Badgermom is pregnant.  Now if you will excuse me, I have to inform Robertasin why her first order as our new Mother Abbot cannot be obeyed."

cairn destop

Honored Eldest – Part Two

The early evening breeze had shifted during the day from the east to the south.  It still blew over the tower's roof dissipating the summer heat, but no longer carried the scent of newly tilled land.  The shifting breeze washed over the courtyard and the aroma of fresh bread from the nearby bakery drifted over the stone parapets.  Atop the tower, only the rustling pages pressed in a binder competed with the soft snores of the napping Honored Eldest.

As the squirrel Tigraff finished reading the last sheet of paper, he closed the binder that held what were once scrolls within a weathered satchel.  He packed the binder in its proper place in the footlocker the former Chief Scribe guarded as if it were a valuable jewel.  Satisfied everything was where it belonged, the young squirrel dropped the lid into place.

The heavy thud awakened Stiles.  The Honored Eldest gave a leisurely stretch and a long yawn as he stirred.  With much grunting and groaning, he levered himself out of his comfortable chair.  Ignoring his attendant, Stiles shuffled over to the tower's high rim and gazed out upon the cultivated fields.

"Three days have passed, boy.  Have you finished my story, or do you need more time?" 

"I have indeed, sir, and there are some questions I must ask you."  When the Honored Eldest made a come hither motion with his paw, Tigraff asked about the hares and why no record listed Tassel's adopted daughter, Chaff.

"Greypaw's unit went back to the war, departing from Fiery Mountain on two ships.  As luck had it, the six privates wound up on one ship while Greypaw and Sweetleaf sailed on the other.  During the voyage, a great tempest struck and one ship almost floundered, while The Jade Coral sank with all aboard.  Since neither Greypaw nor Sweetleaf kept a diary, with the exception of the bent ear private, the names of all the others became lost at sea."

Stiles heaved a heavy sigh.  "The Captain's luck held throughout the remainder of the war as he never did see battle.  When the war ended, he retired with the rank of Major, the sole survivor in his officer's class.  He met a wonderful doe and had a son late in life."

"After her hitch in the military, Sweetleaf returned home and married some farmer.  Her oldest daughter and Greypaw's son met while serving in the Long Patrol and married.  You might recognize their grandchild's name from the history of the Invasion War, Threadfoot."

"And what of Chaff, Honored Eldest?"

A note of disappointment tinged his words.  "You did not look too hard.  She died of pneumonia six winters after her reunion with Tassel." 

His voice carried a melancholy note thanks to the resurfacing memories.  "They buried Chaff in the cemetery outside these walls and our lady badger could never visit her adopted daughter's grave.  She always said that became the harshest part of her lifelong sentence.  When Tassel died, they found Chaff's old head ribbon in a box.  Her son had Healer Shortspike place the faded ribbon inside his mother's coffin and they buried it with her."

"Do you remember the picnic basket?"  Tigraff nodded.  "I never did tell Tassel who sent it to her.  Bet she would be surprised knowing it was Greypaw.  According to my interview notes, he intended giving her only the food.  Shortspike found out what he planned and asked him to 'let Miss Stickerback visit that silly badger.'  Tassel always thought it was Henrietta's doings, despite the vole's adamant denials."

Styles turned once more towards the setting sun, his eyes focused on the horizon.  He remained that way for so long his attendant drew closer, wondering if some traveler had caught his attention.  Side by side the two squirrels stood, one seeing into a distant past and the other trying to grasp some elusive image. 

"I'm the last one.  Poor Henrietta, she died defending the main gate when the Horde first stormed our Abbey.  By the time the Invasion War ended, only two other residents familiar with Tassel's history survived from that earlier time.  Robertasin died of a bad heart three years later and Healer Shortspike passed on five years after that from brain fever, a common ending for healers."

"The ailment you refer to as brain fever is called rabies, Honored Eldest.  I understand she drank poison rather than risk spreading the disease.  It's an honorable, though sad ending for anyone afflicted by such an incurable scourge.  My notes say they found her body in the same cellar where they held Tassel, wedged in a corner behind a cask." 

"So you read my account of Tassel's trial and what happened afterward?  Every Chief Historian I approached has said Tassel's life at Redwall was unworthy of recording; only her death merited their attention.  I always thought them wrong as a heroic death means little if you don't know the hero's life."

Tigraff checked his surroundings.  He leaned close to the Honored Eldest and whispered.  "If you can act surprised at tonight's dinner, I'll tell you a secret." 

A nod prodded the youth.  "Representatives from Mossflower University's College of History are collecting the original scrolls penned by Redwall's earliest leaders.  I will go with them and help operate the machine that will transform these diaries into books all can read."

"I have known of their visit for over a month.  Our Chief Historian prattles endlessly about ridding the cellars of clutter.  Why should I act surprised when they arrive tonight?"

"Without the approval of our Chief Historian, I mentioned your account about Tassel's early years.  The University's representative almost fainted.  He said something about Noonvale University coveting such historical material.  When I left his office, I understood the legal college also wanted the material regarding your trial."

"Will they safeguard all my supporting documents too?"  Tigraff's smile confirmed the truth behind the question.  "For that, I'll not object to having my food ground into mush tonight.  As much as I would love reviewing those documents one more time, I do believe my work is finished."

The Honored Eldest faced the stairway.  "Let's not keep anyone waiting for dinner because of a senile old fool."

Five days later, Stiles still floated through the Abbey as he recalled the wonderful accolades bestowed upon his historical accounts.  Learning scholars wanted the truth behind what others referred to as the vermin badger's history gave him great satisfaction.  It made sitting through the adult's rendition of happy birthday and the dibbun's inept skit about his long life bearable.

Stiles thought about climbing to the tower's roof, but today his joints protested.  With a stuffed belly from a breakfast filled with his favorite foods, he decided to remain indoors.  A turn at the main foyer found Stiles facing the Tapestry Hallway.  This early in the morning, the sun did not touch the Great Tapestry, yet its light made it possible for any visitor to discern the many images sewn into it.

He found a bench between two windows offering an unobstructed view of the Abbey's historical record.  He leaned against the wall between the two sunbeams staring at the image of the Abbey's founder and legendary mouse warrior, Martin.

Sunlight had moved from the middle of the hallway's floor to the bottom of the wall holding the tapestry when his contemplative quiet shattered.  He shifted his gaze to the source of the disturbance.  A contingent of some twenty dibbuns of various species preceded two adult stoats into the room at a fast gait.

"Now children, we're here to see the Great Tapestry and learn about its history."  The female stoat noticed him and gave a slight head bob.  "There are others here, so let's practice our manners too."

Over the next fifteen minutes, Stiles listened as the children hunted down the many pictures sewn into the tapestry and rattled off their historical significance.  Each time a child described the picture they saw correctly, the female stoat praised them.  An incorrect answer had the stoat asking another dibbun for the proper response.

A light tap to his shoulder had Stiles looking into the eyes of an adult male stoat.  "Tell me sir, where is the Sword of Martin?  I thought it always hung above the central image of the great warrior."

For just a moment, he balked.  In the past, such a question from a vermin beast was the prelude to some bloody conflict as the vermin often tried stealing the Abbey's greatest treasure.  Then he remembered the nearby city now consisted of all manner of honorable creatures living in harmony.  The old distinction of woodlander and vermin were fast becoming a remnant of a time best forgotten.

"At the far end of this room is a display case.  The sword is kept secured inside as too many visitors in the past have tried touching or holding the sword.  Our Mother Abbot feared it might injure some visitor or could be stolen, so she moved it there."

After a quiet thank you, the male stoat meandered closer to the display case.  As he stared at the legendary weapon, he announced its presence.  Within seconds, the dibbuns mobbed the case as each jostled their schoolmate for a better view.  It took the stern voice of their teacher to restore order.

One young ferret raised her paw and waited until the teacher recognized her by name.  "My mother said there is an evil demon called the Dibbunator held within a prison cell guarded by Martin the Warrior.  Sometimes this monster escapes and rips out the soul of any child she finds.  Will we see where this monster is held?"

Stiles wanted to laugh at such a foolish question before he noted the bobbing heads of the other children.  His anger grew.  He yelled at the assembly.  All eyes focused on him as he moved towards the students faster than he ever did in the last ten years.

"Unless my ears deceive me, I understand your name is Tassel."  The young ferret's nod had Stiles draw even closer to the frightened female.  "What you seek is the same beast whose name you bear.  There were elders here who hated Badgermom Tassel and called her a dibbun hater.  It seems such an insulting term has become the name of some imaginary demon used to frighten children.  She does not deserve such a foul legacy."

The young ferret swallowed hard as she confronted him.  "Momma said I was named after a hero, not a monster."

Styles kneaded his forehead.  He understood the child just repeated a story told to her by her elders.  She knew nothing about its source.  His anger vanished.

"And your mother is right; Badgermom Tassel was a most honorable beast.  However, there is another side to her history.  For a while, she spent her time imprisoned in a tower, and before that, one of our deep cellars.  The tower no longer exists, destroyed in the siege of Redwall during the Invasion War.  As to ripping the souls from children, it is nothing more than a vicious lie.  Those who called her Mother Tassel were blessed because she loved them all.  You carry a name worthy of pride."

Those words made the young ferret stand tall and puff out her chest.  When the teacher reminded the students about touring other sections of the Abbey, the dibbuns clustered around the two elders who retraced their path.  Just before they left, all the children chorused a hearty farewell to him.

For his part, he lifted his paw and waved before returning to his seat.  He muttered about vicious rumors and how they tarnished a good name.  Stiles lifted his tired eyes and stared at the fabric face of Redwall's legendary warrior now bathed in sunlight.  He leaned back against the wall until he became quite comfortable.  A few seconds later, he slipped into a deep sleep from which none ever awaken.