Writing In Accents: A Mistake?

Started by WoodenSpoon, February 05, 2013, 01:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: Dag Downyfur on September 08, 2013, 08:48:16 PM
I say, I love the jolly old accents,wot, in fact I want to use accents like those Redwall chaps in my own writing! But one of moi friends din't read much Redwall because ee didn't loike all thurr accents. ( But I don't really see why 'e din't like that, do you, mates?.)
Ach, if ye cannae put up wi' the accents, ye shouldnae read Redwall!

Starting Great Expectations in school, teacher warned us about people speaking in dialect.  Me: Eh, I've read Redwall, I'm not gonna have any trouble!
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

MeadowR

~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

WildDoogyPlumm

Started reading Great Expectations a few days ago.  Every time Joe says "old chap" I expect him to also say "Wot wot!"
;D
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

naima

the accents are one of the very best things about the books. i absolutely adore those moments when i have to re-read something a mole says, and then still being a bit hazy about it. the best thing to come out of the accents is the phonetic spelling " 'edge'ogs" ... which i now use at every opportunity that i can.
it was the strangest thing today
i studied footprints in abandoned pathways
'neath forgotten undergrowth something stirring again
you were a single red blood cell and I lost you in this knot of capillaries
but you were bringing me oxygen when I needed it most in the smoke

(frank turner)

Faiyloe

I completely agree with you and welcome to the forums Naima.  ;D
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

naima

Quote from: Faiyloe on September 20, 2013, 01:47:28 AM
I completely agree with you and welcome to the forums Naima.  ;D

this got me thinking, and i ended up beginning work on a piece called " 'edge'ogs"
it was the strangest thing today
i studied footprints in abandoned pathways
'neath forgotten undergrowth something stirring again
you were a single red blood cell and I lost you in this knot of capillaries
but you were bringing me oxygen when I needed it most in the smoke

(frank turner)

Redwaller

Hmm, I love the accents so bally much, that I've started writing like a hare, wot wot!