News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Robert Jordan/ Wheel of Time discussion (possible spoilers)

Started by Romsca, February 11, 2013, 10:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romsca

Who else has read these? I've only read the first half of the first book and it's amazing so far!

Romsca

It's been a while and we have some new members who might be interested, so...revive!

Right now I'm on the second book in the series, The Great Hunt, and I think it's just as good as the first one. I'm about 150 pages into it

WoodlandWarrior

Awesome!!!!

I am a big fan of the Wheel of Time.  I even own the Wheel of Time rpg.  Let me know what you think when you finish it....or if you have already please share your thoughts!
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Romsca

Actually I haven't read much since the last time I posted. I'm only 272 pages into the second book. I'm at the part right after Nynaeve told the Amyrlin Seat that she wanted to wield a sword, and the Amyrlin Seat made one out of wind. But, soon, I'm not going to be as busy so I'll read more in the near future

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Me couzin gave bookz vone an' tvo tae me, but ah ztill 'avenae gotten a chance tae read zem yet.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Romsca

Yay! I finished the second book finally! :D

I liked it so much I was inspired to sketch the scene where Rand Al'Thor
Last Scene in Book #2
fights Ba'alzamon in the sky above Falme.
[close]

Maudie

We have these books, but I don't know that I'll read them. My older brother read some of them and I think he said they were kind of inappropriate or dirty or something like that.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Romsca

They're pretty dark, intense, and a little bloody, but out of two books the only language is the word "d*mn" twice, and it was used in context both times. I never noticed any really inappropriate or dirty instances, except for (for example, not actual quote, but as close as I can remember) "The traveling merchants made some dirty comments to some of the women who going about their daily business. The comments often made Rand [the main character] blush, and some of them even made Mat [Rand's friend] start in surprise." It does mention some of the women (none of the good, main characters) as being "seductive", but that's about all I can think of. Oh, and in the second book an implied um, well... you know, relationship between Thom Merrilin, a traveling gleeman and this one woman, but it's in the background. 1984 and A Farewell to Arms are both way worse. I just read 1984 for the heck of it since it's about a bad government and our government seems kind of... Communistic because of President Obama, PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS INTO IN ARGUEMENT and I am reading A Farewell to Arms because I have to read it for school. If you don't have to read A Farewell to Arms, don't. It's absolute trash for many reasons.

Ferrousferret

If you think the Wheel of Time is dirty, don't ever read the Sword of Truth...

Everything is brought up for a reason as part of the book's plot & is taken as gravely as it's meant to, but there's still a lot of rape, torture & murder in it- as well as a good handful of purely horrific scenes. Definitely not for people under thus age of High School.

Only bringing it up because I hear a lot of similarities between the Wheel of Time & the Sword of Truth. This is not one of them.

Romsca

Romsca

Double Post: Well, I just finished the third book and it was AWESOME! (like always) but I heard from someone else who's also reading them that from the fourth book on they get inappropriate :'(

So if you read them, I recommend only reading books 1-3

White One6193

Quote from: Ferrousferret on July 17, 2013, 01:20:14 AM
If you think the Wheel of Time is dirty, don't ever read the Sword of Truth...

Everything is brought up for a reason as part of the book's plot & is taken as gravely as it's meant to, but there's still a lot of rape, torture & murder in it- as well as a good handful of purely horrific scenes. Definitely not for people under thus age of High School.

Only bringing it up because I hear a lot of similarities between the Wheel of Time & the Sword of Truth. This is not one of them.

Oh, my yes. Got into Sword of Truth after I finished WoT; instantly regretted it. put it down after book four and never looked back. Terry Goodkind is...kinda messed up in the head.

Quote from: Romsca on July 16, 2013, 09:15:32 PM
I am reading A Farewell to Arms because I have to read it for school. If you don't have to read A Farewell to Arms, don't. It's absolute trash for many reasons.

Good Lord, they STILL have that on book lists? Ugh. Glad I'm in college. So sorry that you have to suffer through that depressing tripe.

But, there are a bunch of writers from that period who aren't as drunk and suicidal as ol' Ernie H.

C.S. Lewis, for example, or if your teacher will let you do alternate reading, T.S. Eliot. G.K. Chesterton comes to mind as well.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Unimaginative

I didn't love the series. Gave up on book one, though. I don't like his style.
"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth