News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Non-English languages

Started by James Gryphon, February 09, 2015, 07:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: The Mask on February 10, 2015, 05:52:44 AM
I'm learning Japanese and Hindi at the moment. Considering Mandarin as well to make my mind implode.

I've always wanted to learn Japanese because I, I like my anime in Japanese without subtitles.(They are useful though, they helped me learn a few words of Japanese.) I'm pretty sure I'm one of the few Indians in my school who doesn't understand Hindi.  :P

I'm learning French now, but I just started.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Cornflower MM

I know a little bit of French, but as it's ballet terminology I don't think I could hold a conversation. :P

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on February 10, 2015, 01:31:05 AM
I'm studying Latin, but I certainly can't speak it! Honestly, I don't like Latin. It's hard and I don't see where I would put it to good use everyday (or at all). Though the school I go to requires me to learn it, I'm on my third year...

You probably can't put it to good use everyday. . . . . It's a dead language. . . . Why is it required? :)

Izeroth

Latin is very useful for understanding other languages. Even though Latin is no longer used by anyone outside the Vatican, it still has similar words to many European languages.

MatthiasMan

Quote from: Izeroth on February 16, 2015, 04:38:39 PM
Latin is very useful for understanding other languages. Even though Latin is no longer used by anyone outside the Vatican, it still has similar words to many European languages.

Latin was a basis for so many other languages, I don't even know where to begin on it. One of my sisters knows Latin fluently, and if she really wanted to, she could speak to us in Latin. Unfortunately, not many people know Latin and it's a dead language so there's not much use.

However, if you know Latin, your english is going to be so good you will not believe it. One of my math teacher's knows Latin, and if you gave her any word in the English language, she would be able to understand it even if she never knew it before. There are so many Latin roots in English.