News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

I have come across something very interesting...

Started by The Skarzs, March 18, 2015, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

My mother shared with me a true story of a young woman whose friend, after death, revealed to her that she had gone to hell. This story is very interesting, and it was hard not to finish.
I feel it is important that it is read, and I would very much like to share this incredible story with everyone, so I am placing a link for it.
https://www.americaneedsfatima.org/The-Last-Things/a-letter-from-beyond.html

Please do not use this topic as a debating thread; I am only sharing something of great value with you all. You can speak of the story, but refrain from any arguments.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Kitsune

I get those emails too! :D Interesting story, wasn't it?

Skyblade

I'm so thankful I have already accepted Christ into my heart. The very thought of going to that place terrifies me. My sympathy goes out to those who are there (I know they deserve it, as technically all of us do, but I feel so sad), and those who are alive but not Christians...

This really does trouble me.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Luftwaffles

I'm not a very religious person by any means, but the sole idea of ending up there terrifies me. I didn't have the courage to read the article in its entirety, but I think that I'm going to change my behavior a little bit, just because of it.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

The Skarzs

I sincerely recommend it is read entirely, and take what it says to heart.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Skyblade

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on March 18, 2015, 08:30:20 PM
I'm not a very religious person by any means, but the sole idea of ending up there terrifies me. I didn't have the courage to read the article in its entirety, but I think that I'm going to change my behavior a little bit, just because of it.

I know how you feel, though I really don't need to worry since I'm a Christian anyway...Do you mind if I PM you about this? (It's of course okay if you don't want to; I don't want you to feel forced :))

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Skyblade on March 18, 2015, 09:00:10 PM
Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on March 18, 2015, 08:30:20 PM

I know how you feel, though I really don't need to worry since I'm a Christian anyway...Do you mind if I PM you about this? (It's of course okay if you don't want to; I don't want you to feel forced :))

As I said before, you are free to talk me about any subjects you want :)

PM me!
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Jetthebinturong

Well at first I was laughing at how hilariously terrible the writing was but then I just got bored and stopped reading about half way through.

Not interesting and certainly not scary. Hollow is the word I would use to describe it. Entirely devoid of emotion, either positive or negative with a style so dull I would rather swim naked in the Thames than read the entire thing. Where is the language that is supposed to sway me away from the dark side? Where is the language that is supposed to invoke fear of Hell? Why is the person in Hell calling God merciful? How could someone possibly have a more plodding writing style than a sloth?

I'm not debating the authenticity of the letter (though I think it's pretty clear what I think of it) just speculating on why the damned soul couldn't take a writing class before she wrote the thing? There's got to be some writers in Hell right? She could ask Anton LaVey for help, he's got to be in Hell. Heck maybe she could even ask for tips from Satan, wasn't he the patron of the arts before he fell? I mean sure he's supposed to be trapped in a column of ice from the waist down but he's got his hands free, he could teach a writing class.

And here my critique of her style is dissolving into sarcasm so I think I'll stop now. Apologies if I went too far with the "writers in Hell" thing (though I don't think I did)

Just to be clear, I'm not ragging on this because of the subject, this is purely about the writing. I was quite happy to read it and not comment until I actually read it and then I just had to get this out of my system.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Mhera

QuoteWhy is the person in Hell calling God merciful?
QuoteThere's got to be some writers in Hell right? She could ask Anton LaVey for help, he's got to be in Hell. Heck maybe she could even ask for tips from Satan, wasn't he the patron of the arts before he fell? I mean sure he's supposed to be trapped in a column of ice from the waist down but he's got his hands free, he could teach a writing class.
You make comments like that and then say this:

QuoteJust to be clear, I'm not ragging on this because of the subject, this is purely about the writing.
Riiiiiight. I don't want to start a debate here at all (though you can always PM me if you really want to talk), but it's hard to let mockery slide by as a writing critique.

@Skarzs: thanks for posting. I will say that I disagree with much of that article, but it still stands that Hell is very real place. :)

Jetthebinturong

You're free to think whatever you want about my comment however I'm the only one who actually knows what it's about, after all it comes from my brain. Then again, I could be wrong about myself. As Skulduggery Pleasant says: "The lies we tell other people are nothing compared to the lies we tell ourselves."

And okay yes my writing critique was a mockery, but it was a mockery of the writer.

Also as any good writer knows, the idea that inspired that first quote is a clear contradiction and that isn't something writers should do.

The "writers in Hell" was also a mockery of the writer.

I mean seriously if you want proof, just look at what I've said about Stephenie Meyer's writing, I mock her just as much as I mock "Ani".

And if you want to debate about Hell you're free to PM me, though I have very few comments to make about it. Then again the way Hell is talked about in that "letter" is something I have a lot to say about.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

I had hoped you would not be so ignorant, but I'm afraid I was wrong. I had also hoped this would help your soul, but I was also sorely wrong.

The "writing" is the conveying of thoughts; your thoughts almost never resemble some great piece of writing. I must say that your criticism of the style of writing is rather silly.
Also, could you seriously expect Claire to have memorized it word for word?  

EDIT: I'm sorry for continuing anything. From now on I will attempt to keep all comments within the bounds I had intended.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Mod: It's like what your mother always used to say (or if she didn't, she should have): "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

There are times and places where it is appropriate to consider breaking that rule. This topic is neither.

I think this thread's best minutes (for its lifespan is too short to measure in days) are behind it. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or complaints about this decision.
« Subject to editing »