News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Plot Twists That Killed You

Started by Jetthebinturong, April 28, 2015, 11:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

This is a thread to talk about the plot twists of fiction you've read/seen (SPOILER TAGS, USE THEM) and also to pique people's interest in those things by doing so. Also for annoying people who are following said thing but haven't reached the plot twists yet.

Of course I can't talk about fiction without mentioning my favourite series ever:
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

Mr. Bliss' 2x betrayal combo! When he pushed Skulduggery off the cliff, I was speechless. And then when he tried to kill Serpine, I was so confused and shocked (bear in mind, I was a kid).
[close]

Skulduggery Pleasant: The Faceless Ones by Derek Landy

When Paddy gave Val that ring and her magic wasn't working anymore I was a bit suspicious but the Batu plot twist still caught me off guard. Also, it was years before I read Dark Days and that last plot twist with Skulduggery being dragged into the portal resonated with me for years.
[close]

Skulduggery Pleasant: Dark Days by Derek Landy

"China Sorrows, China Sorrows, she's the one. Nefarian Serpine may have killed Skulduggery Pleasant's wife and child but China Sorrows led them into the trap." I'm sorry, WHAT?
"In the last column next to Valkyrie Cain and Stephanie Edgely, the third name, the only name that had ever truly mattered.
Darquesse." 0__0 LANDY WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?
[close]

Skulduggery Pleasant: Death Bringer by Derek Landy

"Skulduggery Pleasant walked off the battlefield, and Lord Vile walked into my temple."
ahgskjzbfjskfnlkasndkjgfnjsahdgjbn\mksgbiszbjsgdhbfnmsbgzjkdbsnb
[close]

Skulduggery Pleasant: Last Stand of Dead Men by Derek Landy

"Those golden eyes." I literally screamed and cursed Ravel's name.
[close]

Skulduggery Pleasant: The Dying of the Light by Derek Landy

Skulduggery you clever skeleton. Best way to cheat death ever!
[close]

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

RAPHAEL!!! WHY??????????????????????????????
[close]

The Iron Trial by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black

Poor Call. Poor, poor Call. Receiving news that you contain the soul of your best friend's arch enemy has got to be a soul-crushing experience.
[close]

Young Justice season 2: Invasion

No! Jaime! My favourite character replaced by a murderous Reach evildoer!
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Gonff the Mousethief

Ok, mine is pretty common now, but here it is:

Sherlock Season 3, Episode 3
Well, I was pretty sad and shocked by this whole episode. Mary turned out to be an assassin, Sherlock had a girlfriend, a whole new villain was introduced, Sherlock was shot, he KILLED the new Villain, plus, Mortiarty returned! So many plot twists, so much surprise and hurt felt watching it. Whew, that one was a harsh one.
[close]
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Rainshadow

Frozen
  Hans.  Just... Hans.  I really liked him.  I didn't care that the film was trying to make me ship Anna and Kristoff, I shipped Hans and Anna.  So, naturally, I was rather angry when he turned out to be a baddie.  Especially when the film made him look like a good guy, then completely changed his standing with no warning at all.  Ugh.
[close]
Dragon Age: Inquisition
  Solas being Fen'Harel?  WHAT?  And him killing Mythal/Flemeth?  WHAT?!  That egg is a little liiiiiaaaaarrrrrrrr!
[close]
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Banya

Plot twists in films:

The Usual Suspects
Verbal was Keyser Soze all along?!  This made for one of the best movie endings I've ever seen.
[close]

The Departed
Frank Costello was an FBI informant?  No wonder the Massachusetts state troopers couldn't touch him.  And whatever happened to the microprocessors?
[close]

Se7en
The serial killer turned himself in?  John Doe was still one step ahead of the police when he was killed.
[close]

Memento (1)
He'd already killed John G. and chose to chase Teddy?  He knew he needed a target, or he wouldn't have a reason to live.
[close]

Memento (2)
Leonard's wife overdosed; she wasn't killed, and Sammy didn't have a wife.  Leonard was the Sammy of his memories.
[close]
[/font]

Dibbun Against Bedtime

Ender's Game
When in the end he finds out he killed the buggers I freaked. I was like  ??? And  :o at the same time with a little  >:( at the commander dudes.
[close]
"An' if on an empty tummy I'm slain,
Then I'll jolly well never get killed again,
So pass the pudden an' fetch those pies,
An' I'll give the foebeast a rotten surprise!"

Banya

Shutter Island (book)
Very few films follow the book as closely as this one. 
Teddy Daniels was Andrew Laeddis.  The staff of the mental hospital tested him by allowing him to play out his fantasies and conspiracies until his memories returned.  The whole plot until the climax was a play, and every character was an actor.  After the climax, it seems apparent that Teddy/Andrew was regressing, but his last line opens the possibility that it is only an act, and that he might be willingly submitting to a lobotomy, realizing that with his wife and children dead and his memories unstable, he has nothing left, and he desires to die a good man, aware of himself and in control of his fate. 
I preferred the book over the movie (surprise!), as in the book, he discovers the truth sooner and has more of a hand in his own fate.  He almost made it off the island, and I sympathized with him so strongly that I wanted him to escape.
[close]

Bioshock: Infinite (video game)
Zachary Comstock had been Booker DeWitt who had, in an alternate universe, accepted baptism and been reborn.  Comstock had kidnapped Booker's daughter Anna to have a biological heir to Columbia, leading to the plot of the game: rescuing the girl.  Elizabeth was Anna grown up.  Because Booker had, in other alternate universes, accepted the baptism, there will always be a Comstock alive elsewhere, and he will search for a biological heir.  Booker's drowning himself in the river did not kill Comstock everywhere, only in his universe.  It ends with a hook: is baby Anna in her room, or will the story repeat itself?
[close]
[/font]

Hickory

Spoiler
Anakin turned tot he dark side! Tooooootally didn't see that 'un coming!
[close]
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Banya

A Secret No One Knows
Snape wasn't trying to kill Harry, he was trying to save Harry.  Quirrell had been trying to steal the Sorcerer's Stone all along, and he had Voldemort hidden under his turban.  Who saw that coming?  Admittedly, I was 7 when I read this book, and things like this don't occur to a 7 year-old.  Threw me for a loop.
[close]
[/font]

Rainshadow

Tokyo Ghoul
  I know it's seriously early on in the story, but when Kaneki goes on his date with Rize, they have a sweet time, and then when he walks her home... BOOM!  She turns out to be a ghoul and attacks him.  I knew it was coming, because that's the whole thing about the manga, but still.
[close]
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Cornflower MM

Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Heroes of Olympus
PJO The Titan's Curse
When I read that Nico, this cheerful Mythomagic-obsessed kid was the son of Hades, my mind was BLOWN. And then of course he turns out to be, like, the stereotype for Hades' kids everywhere!
[close]
PJO Book 5
Hey, Luke turns out to be the good guy after all? That was an awesome plot twist, but holy crud was it a plot twist! And, Percy actually goes through with Nico's crazy plan?! Seriously, dude?!Are you nuts?!
[close]
HoO MoA
The whole Mark of Athena thing is just wow, but then you have Percy and Annabeth FALL INTO TARTARUS?! Can you say 'Mind blowing plot twist and cliffhanger wrapped into one'?!?!?!?!?!
[close]
HoO House of Hades
Wow, Nico turns out to be gay? Never saw THAT coming!
[close]
[close]

Jetthebinturong

The Archived by Victoria Schwab

I was devastated, I really liked Owen. I mean, I put together the pieces about him being a Keeper long before Mac did but I never realised he was the villain. And Carmen, well that was a surprise. See, throughout the entire book I was convinced that Roland was the traitor. Jackson got the knife off a male (which turned out to be Owen) and Roland was being too helpful. I was completely sure. Then Carmen happened and the pieces are there, you can work it out but I was too focused on Roland. The thing is, Owen wasn't just a psycho. His motivations were sound and his aim was just and I'm pretty sure if he had just sat her down and talked her through it he could have swayed Mac to his side but no chance of that, he was too unsure of her.
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Banya

Fight Club
Great movie.  I'd like to read the book.  The narrator was Tyler Durden; Tyler was an alter-ego he'd created who was free in all the ways the narrator was not, and he freed the narrator from the hateful routine of his Ikea/business trip life.  I caught that he never had a name - "Cornelius," "Rupert," "I am Jack's smirking revenge" - and then when Marla is confused by the word "we," after she and Tyler are heard but never seen in the same room, it leads to doubts.  I don't normally like movies that explore psychological issues, but this was a good movie about freedom through mayhem and self-destruction.  The narrator's act of liberating himself by shooting himself in the head, killing Tyler, and surviving to take control of his own name, life, and relationship with Marla, made a fantastic ending.
[close]
[/font]

Søren

Interstellar
I was floored when Matt Damon showed up as Dr. Mann. Then when he turned out bad, that was crazy. But I saw Rom dying from a mile away.
[close]

I'm retired from the forum

Lady Ashenwyte

[/spoiler] When Oberyn Martell died by Gregor Clegane's hands. If you are put off by violence, don't search it up.
Spoiler
[close]
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.