What order do you recommend reading the books in?

Started by Rittwolf, September 21, 2012, 11:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kade Rivok

If it's your first time reading them, I'd say publication order if possible.  After that, I'd say chronological, or whatever way you prefer really.  For the most part, the books are self contained stories after all.  You'll just miss some context in some of them if they're read out of order (Like in The Taggerung; if you haven't read The Long Patrol and Outcast of Redwall, you won't have any prior information on who Cregga is, but you don't really need that information either for the story to make sense).
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Dante8002

The chronological order. I can prove it, too!

1. Lord Brocktree
2. Martin the warrior
3. Mosflower- is this after martin you ask? yes, because in Mossflower Martin's sword is broken and in Martin the warrior it is fixed.
4. The Legend of Luke- this after Mossflower? Yes, because Ferdy and Coggs are older than what they were in Mossflower
5. Outcast of Redwall- is it after the legend of Luke? Yes, because Bella dies in this whence she is alive in The legend of Luke
6. Mariel of Redwall- It is after outcast because it says Rawnblade is the Badger Lord after Sunflash who is the lord in
Outcast of Redwall.

That is the start of the chronological order and if you agree with me just look up the rest. 
Yalahoo!

shisteer of nothing much

That's the order I read them in, and the order they are on the back of the books. (though some of the earlier books are missing some)
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

I read Redwall first, then Lord Brocktree up to The Taggerung, except Mossflower, Mariel of Redwall, Salamandastron and Mattimeo. Then I read Mossflower, Mattimeo, then Salamandastron a while later (after rereading the other?). I reread them all in chronological order (when rereading I've always read in chronological order of the ones I have) when I bought Mariel of Redwall recently, but I've only read Salamandastron once. I'd say read in chronological order, although most can be read as standalone books, although it is useful to have read the ones before them.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

shisteer of nothing much

I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Steelinghades

Basically, other then Redwall to Mattimeo and Mariel of Redwall to the Bellmaker; the Redwall series doesn't have any direct sequels for the novels so read them in whatever order you wish to.