News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Restoration of Sanity

Started by James Gryphon, July 19, 2011, 01:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

It's commonly noticed that Redwall-series villains will go mad due to some reason or another, possibly the most famous case being Tsarmina, who ultimately drowned due to her aquaphobia.

Something that might not be as noticed, however, is how some villains will regain their faculties -- usually right before either their final battle or other demise.

Some examples:

Redwall: After spending some time suffering in his tent, at his lowest point in madness, Cluny returns to the world, as powerful as ever, the same dangerous warlord that his troops remembered of old. Not long after this, they stumble across the dormice that will lead to their victory over Redwall Abbey. This might not exactly be a complete restoration -- since Cluny spends some time ranting and raving in the Abbey afterwards, but whatever's left of his disease, he works off in the fight with Matthias.

Mariel of Redwall: After spending most of the book fending off the enemies that his fevered mind produces for him, Gabool finally seems to come back to his senses around the time that Rawnblade and the Trag begin their assault. He finally decides that keeping the Bell was a dumb idea and decides to destroy it right after he's done away with all of his enemies -- and to build a new fleet, each ship larger and better than Darkqueen. The King of Searats is clearly at his best when he stabs Rawnblade in the chest, and lures the heroes in to confront his lethal scorpion, Skrabblag.

Marlfox: After a brief reign of terror over Castle Marl, Mokkan finally realizes (around the time that his fortress is being conquered) that he just isn't the same clever fox that he used to be, and that taking on the kingship hasn't done him any good at all. Throwing away his ill-acquired royal cloak, he dons his old garb and is thus mentally revived, though this does him no good since he's knocked into the lake of pikes and devoured almost immediately afterwards.

Any comments on this semi-trend?
« Subject to editing »

DanielofRedwall

Yet again you've written a long paragraph(or in this case, paragraphs), and yet again you've given us all a lot to think about! That's a good thing, BTW.

My thoughts on this is I guess the vermin going mad is similar to when badgers (and occasionally other creatures) go in to a bloodwrath state, exept longer. It does happen, but they get better eventually. Sometimes they don't get better though, which is different to bloodwrath.

It can also be compared to when real life "evil" people seeking power go mad. They spend so much time trying to gain power they just go too far and go crazy. Not everyone  seeking power goes mad though, and those who do don't always get better...

It's certainly confusing, but well picked up!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Captain Tammo

I think it makes the villains better. But o want to see the MAIN hero go mad. I think that'd change it up a lot and make it very interesting. I'm writing my own redwall story where that happens
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Storm

Forgive me if I'm wrong or terribly rude, but I think the correct term for the condition is "hydrophobia".
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare

James Gryphon

Gah, I just accidentally edited a post. FAIL.

QuoteI think that it's hydrophobia.
Well, hydrophobia is the correct classical term for the condition, but unfortunately the word "hydrophobia" is traditionally associated with rabies, a completely different thing, so the word "aquaphobia" was coined to prevent confusion.
« Subject to editing »

Romsca

Dannflower Reguba

Whole... EE.... COW! This is back in the days when Captain Tammo was around!
And Gryphon too!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

James Gryphon

Mod: Because the staff does not appreciate it when people post non-productive responses to discussion topics. If you want to revive this topic, fine, but have something to say that's related to it. This is not the Cellars.
« Subject to editing »

Izeroth

In that case, I will add something productive.

Quote from: Romsca on December 03, 2012, 02:13:38 AM
Tsarmina could have had rabies

Not likely. If Tsarmina had rabies, she would have been insane, likely frothing at the mouth, and too mentally unstable to get anything done.

Hickory

Agreed. It is clearly said that she maintained her motor skills.

Gabool probably got the most insane. He began mistaking rats like Flogga for Greypatch. Is that considered hallucination?

Mokkan was never really insane, just was haunted by his dreams.

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wot, wot!

Slagar the Cruel (Chikenhound) was bitten by Asmodeuous and had to wear a mask to cover his face. Maybe the poision got to his brain as well? He was pretty cunning, though. Have to give him credit there. :)
"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."