News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Names

Started by The Skarzs, September 23, 2015, 11:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

So, this topic can be used for names you really like, names you found out of nowhere that have interesting meanings, or even give some names that might be good for characters.

Personally, when I write I like making up bad guy names and use Norse/German/Welsh/Russian names for the good guys, though it doesn't always happen. (If ever you look up names from my book- if you ever read it- you would find that a lot of names fit some part of them; their job, their part in the story, where they live, etc.) For example, one Norse name I found was really good for a character I needed a name for.

Interesting thing about the name Gandalf: it is an old Norse name meaning "elf with a wand".
I believe Aragorn is a variant of the name Afagon, but I can't find the name anywhere, so don't take my word on that one. . .
I really love those old Norse names. Quite good.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

Nice topic idea.

Personally, I like to choose rare-er names like Sean or Logan for my characters, simply because they're less common but still sound good. I belive Sean is Gaelic, although I'm easily proven wrong.

As for special names, I really like Seamus (Celtic) because it sounds cool and kinda feels good. I don't know.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

That's what I mean when I choose names (usually); find the ones that have the best meaning and not very common. Not very much into those names of plants or seasons (Ash, Petal, Heather, etc.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Eulaliaaa!

Eulalia is supposedly an old Norse warcry meaning Victory. My name is Victoryyy!  ;D
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Izeroth

As a general rule, I try to keep names culturally consistent. This means that, for instance, someone coming from a German-like civilization would have a German name, while someone coming from an Aztec-like civilization would be named according to Aztec standards. In worlds that are entirely made up/not based on anything, I attempt to create different naming patterns for each civilization or region.

Faiyloe

Most of my stories are in fantasy worlds that I made myself, I love creating cultures and languages and names that fit the languages and finding out which cultures have mingled so that you find names from other cultures there. In Siyer Humans tend to be borrowers off many cultures (A lot like the English language and the american melting pot) and Elves borrowed from the wizards but they also borrowed a little from the forest people (dryads, fairies, pixies, nymphs, stone trolls, etc...) So it all effects their culture. Wizards have short distinct names like Beck, Arose, Mot, later they are influenced by the elves and get names like Marith, Doroth and Benita, (But they are still simple and clear sounding) There culture is clean cut and more advanced than any in the known world so their names reflect that.  (Names are so much fun.  ;D)

P.s Please don't used those names I mentioned they are already used. XP
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

The Skarzs

Wouldn't think of it. :P

I like how a lot of authors enjoy making names distinct to their own. :)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.