Main Menu

stargate thread

Started by blindsimeonjtp, April 13, 2013, 03:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blindsimeonjtp

this is a place to talk about stargate the movie, stargate sg1, and stargate
atlantis.

Buzz_Bumble

and Stargate: Infinity (the animated show) and Stargate Universe:)

Lily

Stargate! ;D It's one of my favourite TV shows. I like SG-1 the best. I never really got that much in to Atlantis, but I still watched it all. I actually really liked Universe, even though it wasn't very popular. I thought it was unfair to compare it to SG-1 because although they were set in the same universe they were very, very different shows. I've never seen Infinity.

Buzz_Bumble

Dean Devlin who made the original Stargate movie wanted to make two sequel movies. So far nothing has come of that, which in some ways is good news since he was going to ignore the TV series and that would have made a conflicting mess of the franchise. (There's already a few differences between the original movie and the SG-1 TV series, the spelling of O'Neil's name being a minor one.)

Lily

They released some novels that tied in with the movie, but I didn't like them very much. I think I only read the first one.

O'Neill makes a reference to the different spelling in Secrets: "It's 'O'Neill', with two L's. There's another Col. O'Neil with only one L, and he has no sense of humor at all."

Oh, Jack. :D I do like his character better in the series. He has such good lines.

Buzz_Bumble

Yep, I've got some of the novels that follow on from the movie. There's also a ton of books for the various TV shows as well - last time I looked (a while back) there was about 20 books for SG-1 and almost another 20 for Atlantis ... so many books, so little time and so little money.  :(

There's a blooper clip with Carter complaining about being stuck in a cave with MacGadget. There's also another clip where someone has replaced the theme tune in SG-1's opening titles with the one from Gummi Bears. Both will be around on the internet if not YouTube.  :)

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Me problem vith Ztargate Continium vas tvaz aw aboot time travel, zae, at ze end, nothin' 'ad really 'appened.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Buzz_Bumble

There's two issues with time travel stories ... it's extremely rare that they make any real sense, and it's often simply use them as a "big red reset button" device making the whole episode / movie rather a  waste of time (usually that happens when lazy writers can't think of a story that actually fits, so they make up any old rubbish and then press the "reset button" at the end to put everything back how it was - the Star Trek shows also had the Holodeck for the same reason).  :(

Lily

Agreed. As much as I loved watching the show, they should have stopped well before that point. Around season 4 was when it started going downhill for me.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Zey did zat a lot in X-Men too.

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Buzz_Bumble

The fools in the local TV management moved the Stargate SG-1 show into a later timeslot, so I never saw the last two or so seasons. I've also not seen the DVD-movie follow-ups.

I did see most of Stargate Atlantis and almost all of Stargate Universe, but only a couple of episodes of the Stargate: Infinity animated series.

Dannflower Reguba

The movie follow-ups were great! But you have to watch the less exciting one first because it tells you a LOT. Loved this series, my dad and I watched the entire series of sg-1, and the first season of Atlantis.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah vonder vot a wraith vith a goa'uld inzide it vould be like.

Buzz_Bumble

Probably wouldn't last long - the Wraith would feed on the Goa'uld's life energy and kill it.