News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The peaceful side of Redwall

Started by Taggerung The Otter, November 06, 2011, 06:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung The Otter

Does anybody else every wonder what it would be like in Redwall if there was no villans
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Muse

Yes, completely. OOC: shouldn't this be in general discussion?
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse

Taggerung_of_Redwall

If it was supposed to be a question linked to a fan fiction Taggerung tends to write, then no.
@Taggerung the Otter: Is this a fan fiction?
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Taggerung The Otter

For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Ungatt Trunn

But The Redwall series wouldn't be the same without any villains. It would just be too dull!

Life is too short to rush through it.

cairn destop

You don't need a vermin villain to have a story.

However, I digress.  If you take the clues given in the books, you can get an idea of the routine life at the Abbey.  It is centered around agriculture, with the principle export being October Ale, which is produced there.  The Abbey has an orphanage for woodlanders and a rudimentary school there.  The dibbuns are expected to do chores, no doubt centered around farming.

Squirrels will gather crops from the trees.  Otters fish the nearby streams.  The moles are builders.  Hedgehogs usually guard the gate, security, and maintain the inventory.  Mice generally oversee everything, supervisory roles.

Think of the Abbey and the regions nearby, within a 2-hour journey, as a stand-alone community.  You'll have such trades as healer, blacksmith, and a potter, to name a few.

Now somebody wondered if you can write a story without vermin.  Well, I did it three times.  The first one I posted here, "A Change of Habits."  My second was "Tassel's Tribulations."  An upcoming story has no vermin, yet I'm sure it will hold reader's attention.  Here's just a short list of possible stories, most character driven.

1 --- young love and how it succeeds or fails.
2 --- some beast attempting to become the Abbey Champion
3 --- a youngster's time as an apprentice (enter trade)
4 --- natural disaster, such as a forest fire, hits the area
5 --- a day in the life of (enter title character)

I'm sure you can think of more if you take your time and do a bit of research into everyday life in the Middle Ages.
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

Ungatt Trunn

But stuff like fires and other stuff like that happen in the Redwall series, and they have vermin.

cairn destop

Last time I checked, a thunderstorm was not a villain.  Have a long period without rain, say one season, and a lightning strike will start a forest fire.  It happens all the time. 

As you said, such things happen because of vermin in the books, but you asked if these same events could happen without the vermin.  It can.  If a fire is not your idea, why not heavy rains?  Many bad things can happen due to rain.  Trees can fall over, fields can flood, and quiet streams will turn into raging rivers with enough water, and that is without vermin.

Remember your original question was about things happening at Redwall that could be an adventure or the basis of a story without vermin.
Retirement:  What I earned from a lifetime of work.

Leatho Shellhound

Interesting, I like your points and ideas. I never thought of it that way.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Ungatt Trunn

But things like natural disasters to cover one hole Redwall book just wouldn't work. A short story, perhaps, but not a feature lengh Redwall book.

redwallgurl

It could definetly cover a Redwall length book you just have to use your imagination. As Cairn said, a forest fire could happen burning down say a small village nearby. The say, Abbot/Abbess lover/family lives there and they die in the fire. There could be a whole story on that and how Redwall would react or fall to chaos. THere's many other possible outcome that can happen you just have to think.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

rachel25

I would LOVE to live in Redwall if it was peaceful or not in fact my whole family wish we could all live in Redwall it would just be wonderful  :)

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: rachel25 on March 30, 2013, 03:58:29 PM
I would LOVE to live in Redwall if it was peaceful or not in fact my whole family wish we could all live in Redwall it would just be wonderful  :)
That's how I feel about Redwall as well.