News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Any tips on being a good role player?

Started by Redwallfan7, March 15, 2013, 01:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwallfan7

I haven't role played much on here because I'm wanting to know some tips and tricks to improve my skills first. Any tips on making a good character and storyline? Thanks.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Leatho Shellhound

Hmmm...Well, You might want to join one to get the feel of it. Character? Start with an animal, then a name and go on from there.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Ceteruler

well, one thing you definitely gotta do is take your time. throwing stuff together spur of the moment is almost never going to get you far. That's a big thing. Also, make sure that everything is quality. SPAG as well as the content have to be of a high quality for your RP's to be exciting. Those are a couple things I think every RP should get more of (even my own). Does that help?

Redwallfan7

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

W0NWILL

Species, this is actually the most difficult part for me. I personally run through the possible species and choose it for the personality. Of course, you could always use your favourite species.

Appearance, there really isn't anything to it. Just tailor the appearance to what you want the personality to be, the name, and species.

Personality, my favourite strategy of making them is to base it off of someone you know. For example, my old roleplay character Tila is based off of a close friend of mine. Be thorough, and be sure to mention all their little quirks and personality. Another good strategy is to make an image in your mind of what you want your character to be. For instance, a character that is under development for a story of mine enjoys being known as a mad scientist, so he acts the part and I just have to write a personality of a mad scientist.

Name, names are so much fun to come up with! You can use annagrams(Beserk to Breersk), google translate(Blue to Hyacintho), or nonsense(Tailli).

As for story ideas, you can do many, many things. You could have the group explore the far north where the sun never shines and the birds never sing(maybe I'll use that), or they could sail off into the western sea to be pirates, the possibilities are endless, you just have to use imagination.

Redwallfan7

I'll just read some role plays for now, to get an idea. Then I'll jump in later.

Kitsune