Pearls of Lutra timeline?

Started by Jukka the Sling, April 08, 2014, 10:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

So, about six seasons before the events of Pearls of Lutra, Conva attacks Holt Lutra, leaving Grath Longfletch as the sole survivor. Abbot Durral confirms this when he mentions that two autumns before, Graylunk (the injured weasel) had showed up at Redwall with the pearls.

But get this. In chapter three, it says, "Grath Longfletch, a daughter of Holt Lutra, should have been dead two seasons ago." I thought that her holt had been slaughtered six seasons ago?

So what about those missing four seasons? And has anyone else noticed this before?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

321tumbler

I haven't that's odd. id it say that all of the other otters died?

Romsca

Maybe that was a typo, but I always thought when it mentioned that it was sort of a flashback ???

Tam and Martin

I kind of thought so too Rom. Maybe she was thinking in a flashback. I don't remember that much from Pearls of Lutra so I don't know what the time would be . Maybe I need to read that book again.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: 321tumbler on April 08, 2014, 11:46:46 PM
Did it say that all of the other otters died?
Yes.

Quote from: Romsca on April 09, 2014, 04:27:54 AM
Maybe that was a typo, but I always thought when it mentioned that it was sort of a flashback ???
Well, either way, it makes it sound like Grath left the voles and almost immediately thereafter killed those searats and took their boat. But actually she must have stayed on the beach for about four seasons after leaving the voles, then killed the searats and took their boat. Either that, or she stayed with the voles longer than it seemed.

But then there's something else that's confusing. When Conva returns, after "many long seasons at sea", he tells Ublaz that right after he'd tracked Graylunk to Redwall, he "made it back to [his] ship with all speed and hastened [to Sampetra] to bring [Ublaz] the news." It makes it sound like he got back pretty quick, but it actually took several seasons. But when Martin and co. voyaged to Sampetra, it took, idk, two seasons at the most?

Did that make any sense? :P
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Shade

I always found the distance in TPOL confushing thanks to that statement. Martin and Co. did run into some ice floes, and then stayed at Ruddering, but that didn't take long.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Romsca

That's what confused me most about the fanfic I'm writing. My solution was to convert the seasons into years and say it took about two months to cross the ocean. It may not be exactly canon, but oh well. Also, Conva and his crew could have gotten captured and imprisoned and escaped a few seasons later

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on April 08, 2014, 10:26:32 PM
So, about six seasons before the events of Pearls of Lutra, Conva attacks Holt Lutra, leaving Grath Longfletch as the sole survivor. Abbot Durral confirms this when he mentions that two autumns before, Graylunk (the injured weasel) had showed up at Redwall with the pearls.

But get this. In chapter three, it says, "Grath Longfletch, a daughter of Holt Lutra, should have been dead two seasons ago." I thought that her holt had been slaughtered six seasons ago?

So what about those missing four seasons? And has anyone else noticed this before?
Maybe he's saying she should have died from her wounds
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.