Some interesting Redwall alliteration I found out

Started by Mister Cheese, March 15, 2014, 07:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Cheese

So I recently became intrigued by the Redwall books. I actually did some research on various character names. I'm not sure if this is worth it's own topic, but I couldn't find a topic like this, so here goes.

Obviously, Redwall Abbey is supposed to be like a monastery, as they used the terms Brother, Sister, Abbot, Abbess, etc.

Cluny was the name of a town in France that housed an abbey, named Cluny Abbey.
Matthias is actually a variation of the name Matthaios, which also led to the name of Matthew, the apostle that replaced Judas Escariot in the Bible.
Mariel of Redwall's name is also a diminutive of the name Mary, the woman who gave birth to Jesus in the Bible.
Brock derived from the Old English term brocc, meaning badger. A famous badger in Redwall is Lord Brocktree (Brock is actually my middle name! :) )

That's all I really have right now, but those were just some things I noticed that I would have liked to share with you guys  ;D

Captain Tammo

That's some impressive research you did!

Btw, welcome to the Redwall forum!!! :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

321tumbler

Welcome! I already new Matthais's connection to the Bible, but not the others.

LordTBT

I think you mean "allusion." "Alliteration" is a different concept altogether. However, "allusion" isn't the right word to address all of these inspirations.

The Cluny Abbey does not qualify. Mr. Jacques addressed this years back, it's entirely coincidental.

Matthias and Methuselah, I believe, are inspired by the Bible. However, the usage of 'Mariel' in Redwall was not.

"Brock" has been brought up before. Mr. Jacques uses many bits of old languages (Old English/Gaelic, Latin, Yiddish) to inspire names and places throughout the Redwall series.

Mister Cheese

Quote from: LordTBT on March 16, 2014, 09:48:59 PM
I think you mean "allusion." "Alliteration" is a different concept altogether. However, "allusion" isn't the right word to address all of these inspirations.

The Cluny Abbey does not qualify. Mr. Jacques addressed this years back, it's entirely coincidental.

Matthias and Methuselah, I believe, are inspired by the Bible. However, the usage of 'Mariel' in Redwall was not.

"Brock" has been brought up before. Mr. Jacques uses many bits of old languages (Old English/Gaelic, Latin, Yiddish) to inspire names and places throughout the Redwall series.

Aw phooey, thought I had caught on to something. Oh well, thanks!

The Skarzs

Still an impressive amount of info you brought. I'd never even considered researching a lot of that stuff.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Emperor Ublaz

That is interesting, though, considering that BJ was Catholic.
Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

Romsca

Was he? I thought I heard his funeral was in an Anglican church

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LordTBT

He was raised in a Catholic home. His religion as an adult isn't known.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Romsca

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

UNKN0WN

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.