"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Builders

Started by LordTBT, June 12, 2015, 12:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on June 12, 2015, 11:01:50 AM
I want that book.

For any who don't know, the Red Wedding is a scene from A Song of Ice and Fire (not sure which book as I haven't read them or watched Game of Thrones yet) in which several characters die horribly.

It's in A Storm of Swords. Yep, I've read the books and so many people die in gory ways.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

Read the first excerpt.
I really need to find out if our library is going to get that; I really want to read it.

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on July 24, 2015, 03:08:32 AM
Quote from: Jetthebinturong on June 12, 2015, 11:01:50 AM
I want that book.

For any who don't know, the Red Wedding is a scene from A Song of Ice and Fire (not sure which book as I haven't read them or watched Game of Thrones yet) in which several characters die horribly.

It's in A Storm of Swords. Yep, I've read the books and so many people die in gory ways.
Heh; reminds me of a series that my mom reads. She saw a picture of the author of Game of Thrones talking to the other author.
"I've killed ten people in my latest book."
"Aw, only ten? How cute."
She's infamous for getting characters who you really like and are attached to, then suddenly killing them horribly.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LordTBT

Publisher's Weekly review is up.

The fur and feathers fly fast and furiously in this blood-soaked anthropomorphic fantasy inspired by spaghetti Westerns and thrillers. Once upon a time, a mission in the city called the Capital went horribly awry, thanks to turncoats and infighting. Now the mouse known only as the Captain is determined to finish the job. To that end, he reunites the surviving members of his group, including opossum sniper Boudica, stoat assassin Bonsoir, and sinister salamander Cinnabar. The Captain and his motley band go up against old enemies and former allies in their quest for justice and revenge, but what starts off as a cunning plan ultimately turns into a suicidal hailstorm of bullets, bombs, and bodies. Polansky (She Who Waits) employs a style that's knowing and sly, a little tongue-in-cheek but deadly serious; it's as though Brian Jacques and Quentin Tarantino went drinking one night. Short chapters and a nonlinear narrative turn this novella into a quick read, with some surprises and twists revealed so matter-of-factly that they're easily overlooked. The combination of animal traits and human motivations generates a violently compelling story that's strong enough to overcome any questions of logistics and worldbuilding. Agent: Chris Kepner, Victoria Sanders and Associates. (Nov.)

http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-7653-8530-7

LordTBT

This novel is officially available now! The Redwall Wiki's copy has arrived, and a review is forthcoming.  :)

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

Bah, the local library doesn't have it. Could you send a link to the review when it is up, TBT?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LordTBT

Quote from: The Skarzs on November 06, 2015, 02:43:01 AM
Bah, the local library doesn't have it. Could you send a link to the review when it is up, TBT?

It was only published two days ago. It's going to be a while before most libraries have it. It's only $10 on Amazon.

I will certainly provide the link.

Jewel Thief

I'll certainly be reading this gem! Hope it's on Amazon or sommat...
Hey Jewel thief where do you get, all those silver pistols?
Hey Jewel thief where do you get, all those arrowheads?

LT Sandpaw

Alright everyone I went a bought it on Amazon for three bucks, and if your hoping for something similar to the Redwall series then you'll be disappointed. I'll give a quick rundown of the book, and don't worry I wont spoil anything.

The story is set somewhere between the late 1800s and the early 1900s Mexico. Containing a small cast of rather one dimensional characters who are bent on revenge. A mouse leader, a badger gunner, a salamander gun slinger, and opossum sniper, a rich mole, and a stoat (Not a ermine). They set out across the dessert, and plains to wreak absolute havoc on their enemy.

Now the story does have some bright spots with its unorthodox writing style however it is also very confusing. It contains some adult content such as strong language, suggestive themes, and crude humor. Not to mention a awful lot of alcoholism. Plus loads of gore. Somehow it manages to remain inside the basic rules of edict and there is nothing super explicit. However if you are under twelve years old or older even, I would highly suggest having a parent or guardian reading though it first.

As for the writing skill itself, I was struck by how distracting the writing is. It was really hard to get into the story in the first place because of how confusing it is, but as I mentioned before the author's unorthodox writing style can be a blessing and a curse. luckily the book is short so it doesn't span across several hundred pages making it less of a hassle to finish.

The characters are probably the best and worse part of the book. They were horribly one dimensional, with no real goals, fears, or flaws. The only one that seemed even slightly two dimensional was the badger, and even he was one sided towards the end. However no other characters could cover the sheer awesomeness that they display as rugged outlaws. They are really the only things that push the story forward.

Now if I had to give this story a overall rating it wouldn't be very high. I wouldn't suggest this story to be paid for, or at least not for the asking price. I got my copy for a deal on amazon which makes me happy I didn't pay the full ten dollars. That might show exactly where my opinion lies on the book.

However don't leave it just up to me, if your into westernish novels about animals shooting each other go buy it. and review it on here. I'm ready and willing to discuss it.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

rachel25

I can't be bothered then. If the cover art is the best part about it then I'm uninterested.