Problems with the book Doomwyte

Started by Jukka the Sling, February 04, 2014, 11:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Someone mentioned in another topic (I don't remember which) a couple of problems with Doomwyte. I'd never thought of 'em before, but now I'm wondering too.

How could a whole tribe of mice and a whole cult of evil birds and reptiles remain a secret for millennia, and only after thousands of seasons they're discovered by others?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

JangoCoolguy

The dark day retconning came to the Tales of Redwall... x_x

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Tam and Martin

Hmm....THis is a very tough question. I will think on it then come back with an answer.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

MeadowR

It is a bit strange! To be fair it isn't completely improbable for these groups to be so well hidden away for such a long time. The okapi took a long time to be discovered after all the other large animals! Although the natives themselves will have been fully aware...
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Ungatt Trunn

Well, Gonff descovered Doomwyte a way long time before the book Doomwyte even happened. Though, he didn't really tell anyone for some weird reason. Can't say much on those other tribes and such. I'll have to think about that...

Life is too short to rush through it.

The Skarzs

Ehm, anyone notice that these events were never mentioned again? Like: when in the history were the Gonfelins forced out? What happened to them after they came back? How is that fertile area growing or being harvested any more?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: The Skarzs on February 05, 2014, 07:41:30 PM
Ehm, anyone notice that these events were never mentioned again? Like: when in the history were the Gonfelins forced out? What happened to them after they came back? How is that fertile area growing or being harvested any more?
Brian probably thought of them as he went to each book.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: The Skarzs on February 05, 2014, 07:41:30 PM
Remember that Doomwyte was amongst the three last books in the Redwall series. As it was just "descovered" and with only two more books in the series, it would make sense that BJ probably would have used them in another book. But he died before he would ever get the chance to.

Wolfstar

I just imagined that Mossflower is a big forest and any creature can get lost and any tribes hidden in it can stay hidden for a long time.
Happy and kind.

Captain Tammo

Exactly! I think people underestimate the things that can be hidden in Mossflower ;)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Blazemane

Quote from: Wolfstar on February 06, 2014, 07:53:20 PM
I just imagined that Mossflower is a big forest and any creature can get lost and any tribes hidden in it can stay hidden for a long time.

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on February 05, 2014, 01:07:29 AM
The dark day retconning came to the Tales of Redwall... x_x

^^ Both of these. I think it's technically possible for the Wytes and the Gonfelins to have remained undiscovered after Gonff, so I won't say the book is in error. But it's also really hard for me to believe that they'd remain undiscovered.

With that said, once that premise is set up and the book moves on, it feels alright to me to let it go and get caught up in the story that results from it.

Vilu Daskar

If they see the birds or reptiles they would probably just think it's a bird or it's a snake
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Captain Tammo on February 06, 2014, 10:27:50 PM
Exactly! I think people underestimate the things that can be hidden in Mossflower ;)
True. The Woods can be the greatest hiding place for any creature, no matter the size.