News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

A collaborative RP idea

Started by James Gryphon, May 21, 2015, 06:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

It's been my theory for quite a while that a bottleneck for quality RPing is the number of people involved. The more players there are, the more action has to be held up because you have to wait for somebody before continuing on. Either the RP bogs down, or people do move on without somebody and feelings get hurt, and no matter what, the story suffers.

Well, I had a strange idea a few days back about making an RP that would not be dependent on having a completely active cast of players. The proven success of the Overlord's Orders game series caused me to wonder what would happen if there was no rule against power-playing. Under this model, nobody's characters would be fully their own; each person could make posts playing as any character, and move the story along without waiting for the person who originated a character design. All the other rules (no godmodding, etc.) would still be in force.

This idea is not perfect; the RPers would have to be pretty well in tune with the entire cast of characters, for one thing. The players would also have to be careful not to be destructive to the story or other people's characters (keeping in mind the "Endless Story" here, where "and then they died" or "and then the universe blew up" is not an uncommon response to any event or character a player dislikes). However, with the high frequency of RPs that bog down and die, I thought it was worth proposing this idea, and seeing whether anybody would be interested in giving this a go.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Skarzs smacks James and sends his head flying off into oblivion.

Sure, I'm up for it! I think the people who decide to join should be more mature members and experienced RPers, so they can handle power plays without getting upset, know when PPing would be acceptable, be reasonable in their PPing, and know the other members well enough to know how they would react. (The last one will be harder.)

In addition to that, to make people more aware of the way characters are, the detailed character sheet that Faiyloe made up would be a necessity.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Oh, good. I like this one. That means if I leave I won't be jamming up the RP. Count me in! (As long as it gets started in time)
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Faiyloe

Oh this looks fun!

*Phil* But you are already in to many Rps and you have School to do. *Phil*

That is the beauty of this! I don't have to keep up or anything I can just play when I have the time. Besdes most of the RPs I am in are going at a snails pace.

*Phil* Oh alright fine *Phil*

yeah!!!!  :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. Awesome I'm in! And I am so glad I made that character sheet though it will be a pain to read of of them sheets when there done XD.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Unimaginative

This would be fun, and a interesting concept. I think this would be good for me, as, though it pains me to admit, I've caused the deaths of several roleplays since I joined the forum.
"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth

Skyblade

I like this idea! It would be nice to do.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Cornflower MM

Sure! sounds cool! :) *Gathers up PPing ideas and throws 'em out the window* *Grabs a few more sensible ones*

Oooh, character idea! *Runs to copy 'n' paste Faiy's sheet to a Word doc*

Jetthebinturong

This seems like a cool idea, I might join but I probably don't have the time.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 21, 2015, 06:48:45 PM
Skarzs smacks James and sends his head flying off into oblivion.

-__-

I'm joining.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

James Gryphon

Quote from: The Skarzs on May 21, 2015, 06:48:45 PM
...so they can handle power plays without getting upset, know when PPing would be acceptable, be reasonable in their PPing, and know the other members well enough to know how they would react. (The last one will be harder.)
Well, my concept is more that characters should be "communal property" and that people can play other people's characters with relative freedom, and even develop them beyond what the player who made a character might have had in mind.

I expect players will prefer to play and develop certain characters over others, and that's perfectly fine, but the idea here is to try to get away from thinking of any one character as being exclusively "your own". Otherwise it's just a RP with a much looser definition of when somebody is inactive (and needs people to play for them). Of course, players are free to detail their ideas for a character's development in the OOC thread, so that the others can follow through with their ideas if they choose to do so.
« Subject to editing »