News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Art in General

Started by Maudie, January 02, 2015, 03:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

Ok, so I didn't see another thread for discussing art in and of itself, so I made one! I kinda had a question that I was wondering if anyone could answer.

So, there's this style of art I was kind of wanting to learn, and I want to know what it is called. It's mostly a fan art sort of style. Here's a few examples of it:

examples

[close]

I dunno. Maybe it's just cause they're all by the same artist? Maybe they are. But the style just appeals to me.

So, you can discuss art here. Don't have to talk about my question, but whatevs. ::)
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Lady Ashenwyte

Nice art, I'm currently trying to find anime drawing books to draw me in real life anime style and if I do do that, I'll probably make anime style redwall characters. :)
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Maudie

Oh, you should definitely get Mastering Manga by Mark Crilley. Manga is a Japanese comic book style that inspired anime, so drawing manga is basically drawing anime. Also, Mark Crilley has an art channel on YouTube that is very helpful.

Those pictures that I posted were not my own, btw.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Mask on January 02, 2015, 04:18:31 AM
Oh, you should definitely get Mastering Manga by Mark Crilley. Manga is a Japanese comic book style that inspired anime, so drawing manga is basically drawing anime. Also, Mark Crilley has an art channel on YouTube that is very helpful.

Oh, ok Mask-san, just watching anime now, so yeah. And I was commenting on the art in general, who's the artist?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

MatthiasMan

In response to the first pictures posted.....

That's not "true" anime. That's more of a stylisticly influenced anime cartooning. It has a real life sense to it but retains its cartooning from the definite and highly discernible lines, aka line art. At the same time, it's very realistic, because the shadows are very good because it gives immense amounts of texturing detail. To be honest, this is barely anime at all. It just looks anime because the bed head the the eyes, but if you want to learn real anime, like legitiment stuff from Japan and China, I'm telling you, this is not it. This is a highly Americanized and developed anime style that takes American cartooning and adding slight anime icing to it.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: MatthiasMan on January 02, 2015, 04:56:07 AM
In response to the first pictures posted.....

That's not "true" anime. That's more of a stylisticly influenced anime cartooning. It has a real life sense to it but retains its cartooning from the definite and highly discernible lines, aka line art. At the same time, it's very realistic, because the shadows are very good because it gives immense amounts of texturing detail. To be honest, this is barely anime at all. It just looks anime because the bed head the the eyes, but if you want to learn real anime, like legitiment stuff from Japan and China, I'm telling you, this is not it. This is a highly Americanized and developed anime style that takes American cartooning and adding slight anime icing to it.

I'm not talkin' about those, I'm talking about the art style used in anime like Kyou Kara Maoh!

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on January 02, 2015, 04:30:24 AM
Quote from: Mask on January 02, 2015, 04:18:31 AM

Oh, ok Mask-san, just watching anime now, so yeah. And I was commenting on the art in general, who's the artist?

Viria the tumblr artist. She pretty much nails my headcanons for all the characters in the series (which is Percy Jackson in case you didn't know)
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Edraithel

Vira's style is pretty unique to her but I guess I would call is semi realism/cartoon.
Does anybody here draw realism or semi realism?
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

The Skarzs

I've drawn a self-portrait, and some drawings of stuff in real life I've seen, but other than that. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Edraithel

I draw mostly semi realism but I've done some realism. I'm currently working on a graphic novel and a friend recently asked me to collaborate on a children's book with her, so I'm exploring styles that I like and can do.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Maudie

Until recently I was more into realistic art, but it was just to hard to draw realistically. I picked up manga pretty fast and am fairly good at it, so that's more my style now.