RANT: YOUR COMMA BUTTON EXISTS FOR A REASON...

Started by Blaggut, December 04, 2014, 07:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaggut

Jut wanted too say, some people don't use their comma button like they should. Sure, great grammar, but the comma is lyfe. Here's an example:

"Help, they took they breach!"
"Help they took the breach!"

Or

"Oh my, your stomach has grown too large, have you been getting into the honey stores again?

"Oh my your stomach has grown too large have you been getting into the honey stores again?"

Too sum this up, it's much easier too read and more fun too read when commas are used well. Just put a comma where you would pause if you were saying everything you were typing.
~Just a soft space boi~

Izeroth

Rusvul

Semicolons are also useful, I should use them more than I do.

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

Dannflower Reguba

Most people's sentence structure doesn't beg a semicolon, so they're often not needed. A semicolon indicates a close relationship between what I believe are two full sentences? It's been awhile since I worked with semicolons, so I could very easily be completely wrong on that.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Izeroth

I think a semicolon can be used to continue sentences in quotes too. Like:

"I think," Bob said; "That you are using a semicolon."

Conrad the Painless

"Our Lord and Savior.....The Easter Badger, shall pierce the darkness with his scepter and  guide us through the night...."

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Izeroth on December 04, 2014, 08:24:07 PM

I think it's still a comma, but again, I could be wrong. Punctuation is my weakest side when it comes to grammar, specifically commas.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Izeroth

Quote from: danflorreguba on December 04, 2014, 11:03:06 PM
Quote from: Izeroth on December 04, 2014, 08:24:07 PM

I think it's still a comma, but again, I could be wrong. Punctuation is my weakest side when it comes to grammar, specifically commas.
I don't think it really matters all that much. The only situation where semicolons really make a difference is when you're linking two sentences.