News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Too Simple?

Started by Gonff the Mousethief, May 31, 2015, 11:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonff the Mousethief

So, I was reading The Eye of the World, and it got into some of the lore, and it got really complicated with the History, religion, and other stuff in that world. Of course, it was a High Fantasy book, so it wasn't supposed to be all explained. However, I thought back to Redwall. Not a lot about the world, religion, for much History was ever really explained which made the books "Simple". There was always and evil and a good, and somehow the good always won. Now, I do understand that the whole Martin thing his sword being hid and stuff like that occurred, plus the building if Redwall, but most of it was easy to understand and well written. Take Lord of the Rings. Their is SO  much history and small things that happened before Frodo and Bilbo, that is should be a whole class in school. So, here is the question. Are the Redwall books to easy and simple? What do some of you think? The bottom line for me was that it didn't really need much history, but I would have loved that, for it was based on the story, not before the story. Y'alls thoughts?
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Eulaliaaa!

I would've appreciated more history or religion in Redwall. I wouldn't say it's too simple, I mean, it was written as a kid's book, but it definitely could've used more history and religion. But I do enjoy a break from complicated situations and books. In Redwall, there is a clear line between good and bad (vermin and woodlanders), and I like being able to tell if someone/somebeast means harm or if they're good. In the real world, that's not how things work. You can't look at someone and tell if they're trying to hurt you or help you. I like how Brian Jacques made it simple.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Jetthebinturong

I don't think the books are too simple. They are children's books primarily and thus are just the right amount of complicated for their target audience. Me, I prefer a little more grey area and a little more lore.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

MeadowR

^ Yeah, that, basically. They work for the supposed (because we know full well they're still enjoyable into your 20s and beyond!) target market in detail amount, and they really can't be termed as 'simple' even at that. I would also have liked a bit more 'grey area' and historic information for the series. As you get older reading the books these things niggle all the more at you, a want for more explanation!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

The Skarzs

I agree to said points.
Another thing to mention would be that something considered simple might still be complex or not at all boring. For example, a simple tank is still a tank, a deadly war machine.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LordTBT

The key demographic for Redwall is "young readers" - 10 - 14-year-olds.

Many of whom first discover the great world of reading because of Redwall.

Captain Tammo

I wouldn't say that the books are too simple. While the target demographic is a younger audience, I found a few people just a couple days ago that were reading Redwall for the first time (both in their early 20's) who, I would say, are relatively sophisticated individuals, yet find the story impossible to put down. I think Brian's formula is fantastic. He found a way to write a story which didn't need to be complicated for older audiences to enjoy, too.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior