News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

New UK cover

Started by LordTBT, June 17, 2014, 03:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

lol you couldn't just leave it at the happy theory, could you...
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: LordTBT on June 18, 2014, 11:25:54 PM
Quote from: JangoCoolguy on June 18, 2014, 04:22:49 PM
Quote from: LordTBT on June 17, 2014, 11:21:22 PM
Quote from: JangoCoolguy on June 17, 2014, 04:28:43 PM
I find it hilarious that the description mentions "argumentative stoats" helping out.

Oops! :D

Conveniently enough, I think this is Redwall's big 3-0! (or am I a little off)

2 years away.

Oh. Okay.

Then why a new edition now  ???

Money?

Thing is, they could've made more money if they'd waited. Releasing a new edition during an anniversary is usually a good move.

Lutra

Can't say I like it much....I'm still partial to the purple cover one I had...loaned to someone, never got it back... :(
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

LordTBT

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on June 23, 2014, 07:42:50 PM
Thing is, they could've made more money if they'd waited. Releasing a new edition during an anniversary is usually a good move.

They probably will. They released many editions in between the 1st and 10th anniversaries, and many editions in between the 10th and 20th anniversaries. Same thing here. Not to mention, this is a small Random House imprint. Penguin will likely cover the big 3-0.

Edraithel

I don't like the cover because I feel the artist overused textures to hide lacking skills to be able to shade well and make it look realistic. As for the chapter headers I wish they were more than what just looks like a tattoo design.
"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

James Gryphon

Redwall itself and the scenery look pretty good, but the rest of it is some of the goofiest stuff I've seen since that German artist (the one who was responsible for this take on Redwall and this parody of Mossflower).

Martin's sword is well-known to be a type of arming sword. Here, though, at variance with every other drawing of it I think I've ever seen (including the German cover I just showed you), it is portrayed as being some sort of modern fencing sword. Even so, that's not half as bad as the character that's holding it. It's probably safe to say that this is the worst version of Matthias that has appeared on any book cover. The look of abject terror on his face is completely contrary to anything that's shown in the book. The other goodbeasts are shown as being completely passive, as in the German cover above. Also, Constance is way too tiny here. It'd have been better not to show her at all than to depict her as being the same size as Basil and smaller than the rats.

The rats on the right side (or rather their heads) are actually pretty decent. I assume the rat on the bottom is supposed to be Cluny; if so, it's interesting that he has a sword here, as (I don't have the book with me right now) I'm not sure whether he's ever mentioned as using one. It looks much more robust than the little saber that Matthias is holding.
« Subject to editing »

Romsca

So I was able to see the other website now... those animals look way too real! :o

I miss the old covers :-\

Cornflower MM

bleck' no!

I'll keep the old covers, thank you very much.

Lily

I like your choice of words, James... "goofy" sums up how I feel about it. (Sorry, Dermot Flynn...) Matthias looks like he's about to squeal and run away rather than fight. I guess it's supposed to appeal to younger readers, but I still really like the older, more realistic art. I'm also curious as to why it's 576 pages! I'm pretty sure my copy is about 350 pages. I guess they made the text really big.

I'm in favour of re-prints, though. Anything that gets more people to read Redwall is a good thing, in my opinion.

Cornflower MM

Yeah, I agree with you about the re-prints. But I just don't like the new covers.....It makes Redwall look like a story for one year olds!

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 01, 2014, 01:33:49 AM
Yeah, I agree with you about the re-prints. But I just don't like the new covers.....It makes Redwall look like a story for one year olds!

You realize that the original story was made for blind kids, right?

That said, this is the kind of cutsie, kiddy bad stuff associated with animal stories that's keeping the Tales of Redwall in stuck obscurity...  >:(

Cornflower MM

1.) Yes. It's common knowledge.
2.) Would you please watch your language? There are younger members here!