News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Verdauga, 2024

Main Menu

Metalworking Topic

Started by Wylder Treejumper, May 04, 2016, 03:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

Come one come all to the Metalworking Topic! Otherwise known as The Topic Where Wylder and Skarzs Can Talk About Metal Stuff Without Using Up All the Room in the Other Topics Topic.

I apprenticed myself to a welder and metalworker specializing in nonconventional repair and exotic metalworking. I'm just a beginning metalworker, but I enjoy it heartily.
Skarzs is of course the resident troll and smith.

@Skarzs: I found out some more exotic metals he welds. The majority of his business comes from welding aluminum (He was in the aerospace industry for 25 years). He also welds titanium, and, surprisingly, magnesium- which will apparently not burst into flame and immolate you if you weld it correctly.

So far, because I don't know much about welding, he just outfitted me in leathers, slapped a helmet on me, and put me on a wire-fed MIG welding scrap mild steel to practice. Meanwhile, he was using a wire-fed TIG to repair a punctured aluminum wheel.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Magnesium's melting point isn't actually unattainable, you just need to keep it very well shielded from oxygen, which is what causes that bright reaction. Instead of rusting like iron when it oxidizes, it "burns". I've never seen titanium welding, though I know they do it.

That's funny how he just up and gave you the stinger and let you go at it. xD MIG welding is nice, but it does create quite a bit of spatter. How were your first welds? Globby? ;)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

I've done a very small amount of welding.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Skarzs on May 04, 2016, 04:47:40 PM
Magnesium's melting point isn't actually unattainable, you just need to keep it very well shielded from oxygen, which is what causes that bright reaction. Instead of rusting like iron when it oxidizes, it "burns". I've never seen titanium welding, though I know they do it.

That's funny how he just up and gave you the stinger and let you go at it. xD MIG welding is nice, but it does create quite a bit of spatter. How were your first welds? Globby? ;)
A bit, but I'm decent at it now. The key is consistent speed and angle, really. I spent about an hour and a half just practicing, so I'm much better than when I started. He also does quite a bit of machining, so I'll get experience with that too. He doesn't do much forging, from what I've seen, but he's got a couple anvils and I think I can pick up a few tricks.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

A couple that he doesn't really use?! (Gerv meh tem noo.)

Yeah, speed and angle are critical components to welding. Temperature, speed, angle, and straight direction are all necessary to good welding.
Machining is also a good skill to know. It's very complimentary to welding when cleaning up flywheels or repairs to other round things. (Like those aluminum wheels you said the guy was repairing.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

No, he still uses them, but he does a lot more welding (Most people don't come in and ask for something that requires forging- welding's where the money's at).

Tomorrow I'll be learning TIG. I'm glad, because it's a lot quieter than MIG. I'll also be helping some projects he's working on: Stripping a parts car, fabricating some grills for a restaurant, using lathes- good stuff.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

The Skarzs

Very cool. Wish I had such an opportunity.

Tig is tricky to get the hang of, but once you do, it's very nice. I suggest doing steel before doing aluminum, though.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Darn, TIG is hard. A lot harder than MIG. I got MIG down after just a few tries, but it was an hour's worth of practice before I even started to figure out the TIG (And yes, I did work with mild steel. I haven't done anything with aluminum other than machining some tools and things).

On a different topic, sometime later I'm going to use my new-found skills to make a gas forge for me to work with. So, I'm on my way to becoming a blacksmith as well as a welder/machinist.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

The Skarzs

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on May 17, 2016, 07:45:58 PM
Darn, TIG is hard. A lot harder than MIG. I got MIG down after just a few tries, but it was an hour's worth of practice before I even started to figure out the TIG (And yes, I did work with mild steel. I haven't done anything with aluminum other than machining some tools and things).
:P Well. . . One word: Yep.

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on May 17, 2016, 07:45:58 PM
On a different topic, sometime later I'm going to use my new-found skills to make a gas forge for me to work with. So, I'm on my way to becoming a blacksmith as well as a welder/machinist.
Shweet.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.