News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Skype users beware!

Started by Cornflower MM, June 21, 2016, 10:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Hey, guys. You remember our good friend ABareBear/ATaleOfSierra? He has discovered a major problem with Skype's new update. Since I'm a computer dummy, I'll quote his post on the Honeycomb, so you can read it in his words:

QuoteThose who have the program updated to its latest version (7,25 I believe) should get rid of it immediately for it has a security flaw the size of a house that would basically cause it to open at random during the day and to log you in even if you don't want it to and even if you have it set up so it doesn't do any such things.

At first I thought that I had a virus or something, but after a quick Google search I stumbled across this topic from the official forums where people are complaining like crazy about said issue.

Trust me, even if your computer can handle that beast sucking up your memory (mine certainly can't), there's no reason for this to happen. I recommend using alternatives if you actually need it to work or whatever (the Android version seems to be fine, though).

As you can see, this is a major issue and I urge you not to update as well.

Aimless Gallivanter

im gay!!!!!!

Cornflower MM

Don't thank me, thank Sierra. ;)

Aimless Gallivanter

im gay!!!!!!

Amarith Waterspring

Thanks for telling us Corn/Sierra! I don't use Skype, but I will keep this in mind if I ever do need to. :)
Rosie is weird,
Violets are weirder,
I can't rhyme,
Potato.

ABareBear

Just a little update to that same post (that I forgot to tell you about. Sorry, Corn):

Even if you keep denying Skype the right to update, it will go ahead and do it anyway... in the background. Here's a quote from the same topic that sums up the situation perfectly:

QuoteSame problem here. Skype launched and updated itself on several PCs during the last couple of days.

But then it got really interesting: I uninstalled the new Skype on one machine, restarted and installed the oldest version currently supported (6.14). I then specifically checked the option to turn off Skype auto updates. Windows Updates are off as well (I am on Win 7). A few minutes after I restarted the PC, Skype opened... and it was... version 7.25. So Skype ignored my settings, downloaded itself in the background, updated itself in the background and launched itself.

After Windows 10 Updategate I didn't think M$ could get any more creepy, but they proved me wrong. Uninstalled on all 3 machines.

I would recommend any Skype users to download a program called Pidgin and apply the Skype plugin for it. Not only would it run faster than the actual program, but it would also eat up a LOT less memory. Definitely a welcomed change.

Hickory

Is there confirmation for the same problem occurring with mobile users?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

ABareBear

Quote from: Sagetip on June 22, 2016, 01:19:54 AM
Is there confirmation for the same problem occurring with mobile users?

No that I know of. Skype just updated normally on my phone today and no issues were encountered.

Those of you who run Avast, though, might want to keep an eye open as well... apparently, Avast will actively look for updates for Skype and will proceed to ignore your settings regarding the auto-updater.

Cornflower MM

Yeah, Avast can be a pain in the tail. Slows down my computer big time when looking for updates. It's worth it though.

NileJoy

Good to know
Spoiler
it would be cool if we made a skype group where we can talk about things, hearing everyone else's voice, you know, something to replace shoutbox, or any other voice chat program, or if the shoutbox was still alive we could have added recording options to it (a little bit hard to add) or mp3 code([mp3]link[/mp3])
[close]
Add me on Steam ::)

Cornflower MM

There was a Skyke group at one time, actually. @Jukka the Sling organized it, she can probably tell you more, I wasn't part of the group.

Jukka the Sling

Yeah, there's a Skype group.  Our meetings (arranged every now and then on the spur of the moment) are always on Saturday mornings, but we haven't done one in ages. :P
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Skyblade

@Cornflower MM:

Quote from: Cornflower MM on June 21, 2016, 10:07:31 PM
Don't thank me, thank Sierra. ;)

You're the one who posted it on this forum, and that takes time and thought - even if just a little. Good posts don't cost too much, yet many go unwritten. So give yourself some credit for taking the initiative :)

Thank you both! I've uninstalled Skype on my laptop, and won't be getting it back until I hear better news.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!