News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Recommended books

Started by Cornflower MM, May 08, 2016, 01:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on August 07, 2016, 12:35:48 AM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand was a bit long (it's notorious for being one of the longest novels out there at 550,000+ words), but I really enjoyed it in the end! It was very engaging and took me about a month to finish, spending at least 2 hours a day reading it. Getting it as an audio book helps, although the one I used alongside the book was about 50-ish hours long. Great, great story, though!

Yeah that's a good book. The first time we read, my mom and I fell asleep several time sin the beginning, but don;t let that fool you, it gets better.

Delthion

I highly recommend any book by G.A. Henty, one of my favorite authors, and a genius of Historic Fiction.

Also I recommend the Master and Commander series, although it has quite a lot of language, varying in intensity and also is not completely clean, the first book has a great story line and characters.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Rosie Willowwater

I recommend Firefly Hollow, By Alison McGhee.

I liked the simplicity and sweetness of the book, and I liked the change from the intense feel of most of the books for my age group. 

Jetthebinturong

Okay so:

THRONE OF GLASS BY SARAH J. MAAS IS AMAZING DON'T LET THE FIRST BOOK FOOL YOU. Like the first book is decent, but every book after it, including the prequel, is a solid five stars. The fandom focuses on the romance angle a lot (ugh) but trust me, that's not what the series is about. Also every character is so darn awesome, even Lysandra and Kaltain. There are five books:
0: The Assassin's Blade
1: Throne of Glass
2: Crown of Midnight
3: Heir of Fire
4: Queen of Shadows
I highly recommend reading TAB before at least QoS. The upcoming fifth/sixth book is going to be called Empire of Storms.

The Wizard Howl trilogy by Diana Wynne Jones is pretty good, barring the middle book Castle in the Air, which is very forgettable. Howl's Moving Castle was good, and House of Many Ways is fantastic. Also you don't really need to have read previous books to understand CitA and HoMW.

The Legend trilogy by Marie Lu is absolutely fantastic with some of the best visual writing I've ever read. The climax of book two is one of my favourite scenes in fiction to date. It's just so intense.

The Curseworkers trilogy by Holly Black is also fantastic. The mysteries are intriguing and the civil rights parallels are subtle enough that they don't overwhelm the story with their message. Cassel Sharpe is everything I look for in a protagonist: cynical, sharp, intelligent, a morally ambiguous person who ultimately strives to do the right thing. Much like Legend, these books are very intense.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer is very good. It's almost embarrassingly predictable and by-the-numbers but the characters and the world are to die for.

That's all I got for my new faves.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Maudie

Quote from: Jet the binturong on August 24, 2016, 02:21:06 PM
The Legend trilogy by Marie Lu is absolutely fantastic with some of the best visual writing I've ever read. The climax of book two is one of my favourite scenes in fiction to date. It's just so intense.

I loved the ending of book 3! My favorite ending of any YA series, to be honest.

(Just a heads up for mah homies out there: book 3 isn't exactly clean. I skipped a couple of pages in the middle where there was some, uh, mature content.)
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Maudie

I just read By Darkness Hid by Jill Williamson and I really liked it. It's an epic-ish Christian-ish YA fantasy. (It's categorized as Christian fantasy but it is more religious fantasy than Christian) And it's free on the Kindle store! Unfortunately the other books in the trilogy are not :P
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Delthion

@Wylder Treejumper

I think that you personally would absolutely LOVE the Master and Commander series, it's about the navy so there is a bit of hard cursing, two "F"s in the first book and three in the second, but none in the third and that is how far I've gotten. There are twenty books in all, although you might've already read them for all I know! ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Aimless Gallivanter

Quote from: Mask on August 27, 2016, 06:04:58 PM
I just read By Darkness Hid by Jill Williamson and I really liked it. It's an epic-ish Christian-ish YA fantasy. (It's categorized as Christian fantasy but it is more religious fantasy than Christian) And it's free on the Kindle store! Unfortunately the other books in the trilogy are not :P
WAAAAAIT I READ THAT SERIES
I DON'T REMEMBER A WHOLE LOT ABOUT IT BUT I DEFINITELY LIKED IT
im gay!!!!!!

Ashleg