News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The more random than that other thread thread

Started by James Gryphon, October 09, 2017, 04:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

A skunk is eating our cats' food, so what does my dad do? Does he leave it alone like a reasonably intelligent person and hope it will eventually leave? NO. HE FREAKING SHOOTS THE THING WITH A BB GUN.

THANKS, DAD.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Chipster of Noonvale

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

I might be wrong, but it probably didn't kill it, though that depends on the pellet gun. Some of them will just break the skin on an animal like that, just enough to make sure they won't come back. They have been known to kill chickens and mess with gardens, so they are known pests.

Not sure Maudie's dad wanted to feed a wild animal with food he bought for his pet. :P
What would you have done, out of curiosity?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Chipster of Noonvale

How about baiting a trap (with the cat food) then carrying the skunk over to a park somewhere?

Jetthebinturong

I didn't think he'd killed it.

Call me crazy but I would've let the hungry animal eat the cat food. And I'm not going to blame people's incompetence at protecting their chickens on another animal doing what it's naturally inclined to do. Calling an animal a pest is just an excuse to let people be lazy. And it's just as easy to catch animals with non-harmful traps as it is to put out lethal traps or shoot them.

Maudie

It sprayed all over the place, and he unintentionally injured it so he ended up putting it out of its misery.

The main reason that I would think that most people wouldn't go around shooting skunks with bb guns is because, y'know, skunks have some nasty natural defense mechanisms. I think they're better left alone. But the skunk has been lingering around our chicken coop and skunks pose a threat to chickens, so I guess my dad wanted to make sure that the chickens were safe.

But now half our house smells like skunk, so that's...lovely.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on June 19, 2018, 08:54:24 PM
I didn't think he'd killed it.

Call me crazy but I would've let the hungry animal eat the cat food. And I'm not going to blame people's incompetence at protecting their chickens on another animal doing what it's naturally inclined to do. Calling an animal a pest is just an excuse to let people be lazy. And it's just as easy to catch animals with non-harmful traps as it is to put out lethal traps or shoot them.

Agreed, and thank you. We had an unknown animal lurking around our coop a while back, was climbing up to one of the nest boxes and eating the feed we were putting up there at nights. It kept doing it after two or three nights so we borrowed a trap from our neighbour and started moving the food to a better place at night. It's really not that hard to avoid shooting or poisoning animals, it's just about whether or not you like to play with guns and if you want to take the extra time to trap it and not kill it. Whatever "it"  maybe be.

I didn't know you had chickens, Mauds, that's great.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: The Skarzs on June 19, 2018, 08:05:44 PM
I might be wrong, but it probably didn't kill it[...]
Yeah, what I was thinking, although I was curious about what it would actually do to a furry animal like that.  I've shot BB guns numerous times myself.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

I hear skunks make decent pets as long as their spray gland is removed.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

Jukka the Sling

It's true.  Some people have domesticated skunks as pets.