News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Redwall TV series

Started by Firewall978, November 13, 2011, 01:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like the TV series to continue?

YES!
Restart the series with better animation
No
There was a Redwall TV series????!!!!!!

Lutra

As in the animators totally had the characters going in the wrong direction (as an art goof) or that they misinterpreted the book?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Buzz_Bumble

I haven't watched the Redwall TV series yet, but the problem is that when Hollyweird makes a movie or TV series "based on" someone else's work, the over-egoed fools in charge ALWAYS have to make changes to suit themselves because they think they know better than the person who actually had the talent to create the idea. In some cases, as with some book illustrators, they simply didn't bother actually reading the book or know nothing about the original. :( 

The current example of course being The Hobbit, where Peter Jackson has inserted extra characters who aren't in the book.

In some cases the movie / TV series is barely even recognisable - The Lorax has whole extra storyline added to make it into a movie, the so-called Battleship movie suddenly has alien invaders, etc.   ::)

Another example is JJ Abrams who didn't like Star Trek, knew basically nothing about Star Trek and as a consequence made a silly "reaboot" movie (now two) that doesn't fit with anything established by the Star Trek franchise. Jonathan Frakes (aka Commander Riker in Star Trek: The Next Generation) knew nothing about the British TV series Thunderbirds when he took the role of producer, watched a couple of episodes and then thought he knew it all ... and made a horrible Spy Kids clones that doesn'ty even remotely fit in with real Thunderbirds:(

Shadowed One

In my opinion, the last season was best. They changed a HUGE amount of stuff, but it is better then the first and (arguably) second seasons.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

LordTBT

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 22, 2013, 01:37:39 AM
I haven't watched the Redwall TV series yet, but the problem is that when Hollyweird makes a movie or TV series "based on" someone else's work, the over-egoed fools in charge ALWAYS have to make changes to suit themselves because they think they know better than the person who actually had the talent to create the idea. In some cases, as with some book illustrators, they simply didn't bother actually reading the book or know nothing about the original. :( 

The Redwall TV series is not a Hollywood production. Nelvana is located in Canada.

Another example is JJ Abrams who didn't like Star Trek, knew basically nothing about Star Trek and as a consequence made a silly "reaboot" movie (now two) that doesn't fit with anything established by the Star Trek franchise.

Not accurate...he did like Star Trek. For such a silly reboot, it sure made a lot more money any other Star Trek film, didn't it?  ;)

Redwaller

Quote from: Lutra on June 22, 2013, 12:11:35 AM
As in the animators totally had the characters going in the wrong direction (as an art goof) or that they misinterpreted the book?
I meant that the tunnel did not go as it went in the book, and at the wrong time.

Quote from: LordTBT on June 22, 2013, 03:06:51 PM

The Redwall TV series is not a Hollywood production. Nelvana is located in Canada.
Really? Cool!

Not accurate...he did like Star Trek. For such a silly reboot, it sure made a lot more money any other Star Trek film, didn't it?  ;)

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Another example is JJ Abrams who didn't like Star Trek, knew basically nothing about Star Trek and as a consequence made a silly "reaboot" movie (now two) that doesn't fit with anything established by the Star Trek franchise.

'ov much money it made rarely meanz anyzin' vith moviez. Lot'z o' people gae juzt tae zee 'ov different zey are from ze original ztory.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Buzz_Bumble

"Hollywood" (or in my case "Hollyweird") is often used as a generic term to cover the movie and TV making industry as a whole.

Not accurate...he did like Star Trek.

Nope. JJ Abrams has stated that he wasn't a Star Trek fan. He's a Star Wars fan ... and unfortunately Star Wars is next on his list to probably make idiotic, ill-fitting changes to.  :(.

QuoteFor such a silly reboot, it sure made a lot more money any other Star Trek film, didn't it?  ;)

Making money / popularity is not the same as being a quality movie - "reality" TV is supposedly popular, but it's utter drivel and few people admit to watching it.

Making money isn't even remotely the same as meaning it actually fits with the established franchise. They stupidly tried to con naive people by saying it was an alternate timeline, but even then it doesn't work thanks to things like the ages of the characters being completely wrong (Checkov, for example, is a lot younger than Kirk, so would never be at the Academy at the same time).

Tam and Martin

I would love to see the Redwall series continue!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Mariel

I wouldn't really like to see the Redwall T.V series continued unless they stopped going their own way and actually followed the real story lines. I didn't want my younger brothers to watch the Martin the Warrior season because they would get misinformed about how some of how it was. 

Redwaller

QuoteMaking money / popularity is not the same as being a quality movie - "reality" TV is supposedly popular, but it's utter drivel and few people admit to watching it.
I do watch some cooking shows. Dunno if it counts as "Reality"

Lutra

Quote from: Mariel on June 23, 2013, 02:38:19 AM
I wouldn't really like to see the Redwall T.V series continued unless they stopped going their own way and actually followed the real story lines. I didn't want my younger brothers to watch the Martin the Warrior season because they would get misinformed about how some of how it was.  

Martin the Warrior is surprisingly accurate to the book.  Granted, yes there are things to look past that were changed (Pallum's gender change, being the major one). However, if you ask the fans, most agree that Martin the Warrior was a good season.  If you really wanted your brothers not to watch a season because its too different, ignore the first season, but I think Mattimeo and Martin the Warrior are close adaptations.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

LordTBT

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 22, 2013, 11:18:05 PM

"Hollywood" (or in my case "Hollyweird") is often used as a generic term to cover the movie and TV making industry as a whole.

Right, for Hollywood productions. Describing productions as made by companies not in the U.S. as part of that is inaccurate.

Nope. JJ Abrams has stated that he wasn't a Star Trek fan. He's a Star Wars fan ... and unfortunately Star Wars is next on his list to probably make idiotic, ill-fitting changes to.  :(.

That doesn't mean he didn't like it, it means he preferred SW. The Wikipedia article for the 2009 film details his history with ST, and he did like it.

Making money / popularity is not the same as being a quality movie - "reality" TV is supposedly popular, but it's utter drivel and few people admit to watching it.

That's entirely subjective. Most audiences would disagree with you about ST, and reality TV isn't "supposedly popular" either - it IS popular. A large majority of number one shows on network and cable channels are reality. Because you don't care for it, doesn't mean that other people don't consider it quality. If the shows weren't quality to some demographic, they wouldn't be renewed. You might not like The Bachelor or Survivor, but their are audiences who do like both, which is why they've been around for approximately a decade.

If you don't like JJ Abrams, don't see his movies. I for one am excited about the new SW.

Romsca

There are some people I know who saw the TV series and, for that reason, did not want to read the book. But because of that, their mom actually gave me her first edition Redwall that her sons wouldn't read. Too bad for them, but I got a great book! :D

WoodlandWarrior

I would love to see rebooting of the show which is closer to the books.  Or perhaps animated movies would be pretty cool too.

As far as the animation goes, I'd prefer it to be actually animated and not like pixar type stuff though.  Being an older guy, I grew up with the Rankin and Bass cartoons and the cartoons of the 80s.  Now while the animation of that time period and a bit before were not the best in the world, there is a certain appeal to it.  To me anyway.

The animation for Watership Down and Rikki Tikki Tavi are awesome.  I love animation from the 70s and 80s. :)
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules."  -Gary Gygax

Buzz_Bumble

Quote from: LordTBT on June 23, 2013, 08:01:58 PM
Right, for Hollywood productions. Describing productions as made by companies not in the U.S. as part of that is inaccurate.

It wasn't meant to be accurate and it wasn't me who made the term up ... it was a "lazy American".  :P

QuoteThat doesn't mean he didn't like it, it means he preferred SW. The Wikipedia article for the 2009 film details his history with ST, and he did like it.

Yep, he "liked" it so much that he butchered it into an ill-fitting mess.  ::)

QuoteThat's entirely subjective.

No it's not, it's a fact. Making money does not equal being a good movie - there are huge numbers of utter drivel movies that make lots of money.

Making money doesn't even equal it being a popular movie - these days there are far too many people awho will go and watch any old garbage at the cinema simply because they haven't got enough brains to think of anything else to do on a Friday / Saturday night. Often they'll come out complaining about what rubbish it was, only to go and see it again the following Friday / Saturday night with a different group of friends.   ::)

QuoteIf you don't like JJ Abrams, don't see his movies. I for one am excited about the new SW.

All of JJ Abrams shows and movies are over-hyped garbage that end up making very little sense - Lost being the "best" example. The biggest problem is that he doesn't actually do anything. If you look at the huge list of things he's supposedly working on at the same time, you realise that all he does is rubber-stamp his name on other people's work, and the inconsistency of that approach is very evident.

The very last thing Star Wars needs is some over-egoed, big name idiot who thinks he knows better than George Lucas what "Star Wars" should be, and butchers it into a barely recognisable, ill-fitting mess.  :(

Back to the topic ... I haven't watched the Redwall TV series, so I don't know how well animated it is or how closely it follws the books, but the artwork looks quite nice. Some of the best animation is done by Don Bluth Studios (the American Tale series, etc.).