News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Lock This Topic Too! (By Next New Year's Day!!!)

Started by HeadInAnotherGalaxy, October 31, 2019, 07:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Booklover

If you're talking about us, I'd prefer to be referred to as 'imteresting'. You could also add other positive adjectives of your choice, but I'm not too bothered about that.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

The Producers would like to thank The Forestry Commission
        Doune Admissions Ltd, Keir and Cowdor Estates, Stirling
        University, and the people of Doune for their help in the
        making of this film.
        The Characters and incidents portrayed and the names used
        are fictitious and any similarity to the names, characters,
        or history of any person is entirely accidental and
        unintentional.
                        Signed RICHARD M. NIXON
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Booklover

Any resemblance to characters real or fictional is purely coincidental and/or used fictitiously.

Verdauga

Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Booklover

Of course, there are some resemblances that I can think of that are very close for something that's merely coincidental, and, although in many circumstances it's 'used fictitiously', it is still rather... surprising.

Verdauga

I think, sometime during WW2, a man with the name Adolf Hitler tried to enlist in the U.S. Army.
This is second-hand, so it may not be true, but it would add an example.

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Booklover

Hopefully, he managed to change his name pretty quickly (if he was a real person, and not someone playing a joke).

Adolf Hitler (famous one) was in the German army in WWI.

Verdauga

He was. Rumor holds (I haven't confirmed it yet.) that due to exposure to mustard gas during The Great War, he opted against using it in battle.
Not that he was against using it, but in those conditions.

Booklover

Verdauga

Booklover

How much do you learn about WWII? Is it more from the U.S.A. point of view? We did a bit about the U.S.A. and WWII, when we had an American student teacher, but they had to return after just one lesson with our class, because of the coronavirus (once the travel restrictions were announced for most European countries to the U.S.A., but before ones with Britain were).

Verdauga

It's mostly from American perspective. It'll give the events of the war, but typically won't go into the politics of the countries. (I.E. it will talk about the London Blitz, but not how this affected the rest of the English nation, nor the choices of the individuals in administration there. For that matter, it won't go into the politics of the Manhattan Project and the U.S' wartime invention.)

Booklover

For G.C.S.E., my school (currently) does Weimar and Nazi Germany (as well as the Cold War and Henry VIII and his ministers), but (until the lockdown, and as mentioned earlier) we were studying WWII. Quite a bit on Britain, although we did some on Germany before the war (Weimar and Nazi Germany, essentially), near the start of the school year. And, in the past few 'lessons' (most of which done at home), we've done the war in African and Operation Barbarossa.

Verdauga

Yeah, ours went into the treatment of Germany post-Das Weltzkrieg, and the reason why the German people so readily accepted Hitler, but otherwise kept to an overview.