Lock This Topic Too! (By Next New Year's Day!!!)

Started by HeadInAnotherGalaxy, October 31, 2019, 07:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wylder Treejumper

Redwall is more significant than it seems on the surface. I could practically write a whole essay on it, but suffice it to say that the scenes within the abbey are actually as vital to the series as the main quest plot, although it might not seem like it. The feasting, the games, competitions, celebrations- all illustrate a particular way of life: community, friendship, the value of simple things over material wealth (which the vermin always waste themselves in pursuing, yet find no true happiness even in possessing). The quests and the Long Patrol bring us courage, sacrifice in defense of the good, self-discovery...

What makes it truly special, however, is Brian Jacques' sparkling prose. I read Redwall as much for the writing as I do for the story. He is the absolute master of descriptive writing, and that is the reason that he can write all of those feasts and celebrations without boring us.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Sebias of Redwall

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Error. Error. Cannot compute.

shisteer of nothing much

I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Wylder Treejumper

There is a wonderful letter which Brian wrote, which illustrates his writing style beautifully. I'll quote just part in brief:

The advice I continually give to young writers is this "Learn to paint pictures with words." Not just once upon a time, but... In the long secret dust of ages, beneath a blue forgotten sky, where trade winds caress the sun bleached shores of unknown realms... See, as much as there are words in poetry, there is a poetry in words. Use it, stay faithful to the path you have set your heart upon and follow it.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

shisteer of nothing much

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

What did you expect? It is Brian Jacques, after all.

shisteer of nothing much

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Ebantu the Kararehe

You might, under the right circumstances (or the wrong circumstances, perhaps).
Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: Booklover on May 08, 2020, 08:36:34 PM
Would I lie to you?
I don't know. Still, it was Seb who recommended the books anyway, so it's his honesty that's in question.

Now, everything is being really slow and my phone is almost dead, so I'm going to go do some writing.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Quote from: Ebantu the Kararehe on May 08, 2020, 08:40:53 PM
You might, under the right circumstances (or the wrong circumstances, perhaps).
Perhaps.

shisteer of nothing much

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

shisteer of nothing much

And another shiny thing: