News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Jan 18- Sopa Strike

Started by Taggerung_of_Redwall, January 15, 2012, 02:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icefire

Quote from: Sheep-From-The-Red-Hill on January 19, 2012, 01:35:21 AM
QuoteThis site i like, but it wont get shut down.

It actually could if one member posts an image from the redwall series since it may be considered copy right infringement.
Thank you! I was just gonna say that. This site could get shut down over one picture that the poster didn't even know was under copy right. Even if there was a link to a site that had a picture or video, etc., that was posted against copy right, the site could shut down.

At least, that's how I'm understanding it.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Correct, Red, tens of thousands would lose their jobs. Corporate capitalism has grown enough in America. Stomping out small businesses isn't what this country needs. We have enough problems with unemployment and the economy already. SOPA would make things much worse.
SOPA would kill fan art. There goes deviantart. And game development. And programming. And...
Note however that the Internet was responsible for the Libyan and Tunisian rebellions. Actually, injustice was responsible. But the internet catalyzed it.
Crippling one of the greatest inventions ever created by man would mean the end of the Information Age as it is known. The end of being able to do anything online. Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. Crippling a tool responsible for freedom to the nations and a testament to ingenuity, innovation and free communications and rights would be nothing sort of a shame to the human race, as I see.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Trigoma on January 19, 2012, 12:46:58 AM
it can also shut down facebook! yes!!!! i hate facebook...
But would you want to shut down the whole Internet jus for it to stop? Although that was a bit exaggerated, that is pretty much what SOPA is doing. As others have mentioned, if one person on this site posted a copyrighted piece of work, the whole site could be shut down. It's like a quite I said earlier. "If one person steals a car, do you ban cars of prosecute the person who did so?" or something to that effect.
Quote from: Trigoma on January 19, 2012, 12:53:47 AM
i really doubt internet freedom is necessary for living...eather way, this site wont get shut down, so im happy. I think the internet is a little TOO free...if you know wut i mean. Censorship? Go for it.
This isn't just censorship. Well, it is, but it is way over the top. Thousands and thousands of innocent people, some who rely on the Internet for a living, will have to take the punishment just one or two people deserved. Ever used Wikipedia? That would be effected drastically.

Sure there are bad things on the Internet, but there is also lots of good things. This site, for example, brings together hundreds of people from all over the world who all unite in the joy of Redwall. What is bad about that? Nothing. But we will be effected. It's like a Domino effect: one site gets hurt, the rest will eventually follow. The Internet just won't be the same.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Trigoma

these are all good points, and i cant answer alot of them until this passes or not. So all we can really do is wait and see what happens. non-the-less im still for this SOPA thingy.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

Taggerung_of_Redwall

SOPA now has more Opponents in the House than Supporters!
The third major strike on account of Silicon Valley in the last two days.

I'd have to point out examples like that one are generally a bad idea on SOPA. The reason it advanced so far in legislation is because of understated, too narrow examples. It is a very broad, very imprecise bill, with vague and poor definition. But people are coming to their senses as the mass desertion of supporters continues. Score for democracy tonight.

Google and Reddit managers are talking now about the OPEN Act. It's something of an alternative to SOPA/PIPA.

Melody

so the SOPA strike isn't working?

Bragoon

No, it is working, as long as the politicians vote the way they're saying.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Taggerung_of_Redwall

No, it's working, and very well, and much better than I expected.
If SOPA/PIPA are defeated, the question is, what about copyright infringement after SOPA/PIPA? The problem will still exist, and needs to be dealt with. The course needed will be to sit down both media and tech titans and find a good way to do so. Convincing the pro-SOPA corporations  with anything sort of the catastrophic SOPA will be difficult at best.

Sheep-From-The-Red-Hill

Quotenon-the-less im still for this SOPA thingy.

Even though THOUSANDS of people will become unemployed which will severely damage the economy and will most likely affect you negatively? Ok.

QuoteIf SOPA/PIPA are defeated, the question is, what about copyright infringement after SOPA/PIPA? The problem will still exist, and needs to be dealt with. The course needed will be to sit down both media and tech titans and find a good way to do so. Convincing the pro-SOPA corporations  with anything sort of the catastrophic SOPA will be difficult at best.

Personally I don't think censoring the internet would help these companies at all. Sure your gonna reduce the pirates numbers severally, but your also going to take down sites like youtube that pretty much advertise your products for free also.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Technically, SOPA would do very little but probably nothing to combat piracy. That's why the bill is so ridiculous. It wouldn't even do anything to combat piracy, yet potentially cripple legitimate businesses and services.

Sheep-From-The-Red-Hill

QuoteTechnically, SOPA would do very little but probably nothing to combat piracy.

To be fair, it would take down hundreds of sites that promote it like all those free movie downloading sites, but yeah in the end the sales aren't gonna change much, thousands of people are going to become hobos, and your gonna have a lot of angry Americans. Not a pretty future.

Melody

I'm lost.......................

Icefire

Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Wow. The FBI shut down the file-sharing site Megaupload.com, and arrested its founder this morning. Within minutes, the internet activist group Anonymous shut down the Department of Justice's website and all the websites of Universal Music, which asked the FBI to shut down the site.
That came to a head.

Melody