News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

What language(s) are you learning/can speak?

Started by Muse, January 23, 2012, 09:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwaller

S'alright, French is quite difficult for English with all the pronounciations, verbs, genders and all.  ;)

Russano the Wise

I'm currently learning Portuguese. I get lots of help if I get stuck because both my Grandparents and my Mom speak Portuguese.
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Dawnwing

I can speak a little bit of Spanish, but it's been since high school so I'm a bit rusty.
If you count computer languages I know several.

Lily

Redwaller was correct, I just merged two of the languages topics together. ;)

I'm curious, what do you guys think are the hardest things about learning another language?

Redwaller

Hmmm, probably the different pronounciations, they need a bit of time to get used to.

Leatho Shellhound

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Russano the Wise

For me it would be the grammar. Learning where to put "the", "a", "that", etc., is difficult! Especially since some of those words have different meanings depending on how they're used in the sentence.     
"But if you really love your friends, they're never really gone. Somewhere they're watching over you and they're always there inside your heart." -Martin the Warrior

Emperor Ublaz

I'm learning Latin, which is tough, because I don't know anyone who speaks Latin.
Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

Blazemane

I really can only speak English, but I've been in class for Spanish, Italian and French at various times. Right now, I'm taking Chinese. Undoubtedly the most trouble I've had thus far.

...But I will get it! *Shake fist*

Cornflower MM

*Bumps just because*

Fluent English, a smattering of Spanish, a few Finnish words (Thanks, Sierra :P) and I could probably carry on a one-sided conversation with ballet terminology.

CaptainRocktree

Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Banya

It was pretty cool to realize recently, when I did a count, that I can hold conversations in five languages, and I can read and write in three alphabets.  I'm only fluent in English, but I should be getting close to that level in two or three other languages before long.

In response to Lily's question, the most trouble I have with other languages is changing pronouns and adjectives based on the gender of a noun.  Gendered language is difficult.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Wylder Treejumper

Technically Spanish, but only to get my Honors diploma and for university requirements.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Hickory

I can barely hold a proper conversation in Spanish.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.