News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Hunger Games discussion

Started by BrookSkimmer, March 23, 2012, 11:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Maudie

Quote from: Icefire on April 14, 2012, 04:00:44 PM
Quote from: Coobreedan on April 12, 2012, 08:38:22 PM
Quote from: Mad Maudie on April 03, 2012, 09:34:17 PM
Quote from: Mad Maudie on March 27, 2012, 02:24:14 AM
The Hunger Games is a young-adult, dystopian novel written by Suzanne Collins. It was originally published on September 14, 2008. The book is the first in The Hunger Games trilogy, followed by Catching Fire, then Mockingjay.

In the novel, the Hunger Games are an annual televised event where the ruthless Capitol randomly selects one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and 18 from each of the twelve districts, putting them against each other in a game of survival where they are forced to fight one another to the death. The victor then wins a new house for themselves and their families in their District, along with food, fame, and wealth.

this cobreedan is the hunger games

Sounds good. I doubt I'll ever get to read them though because I've heard people are obsessed so it might be hard to get my hands on a copy.

No kidding! There are over 200 people on the holds list at my library! Your best bet would probably be to find a friend who owns it and would be willing to let your borrow it.

i tried getting catching fire from the library and there were 555 people on hold they said i would have it next summer my mom ended up buying all the books anyway oh if some of you would read and review my HG FF it would be much appreciated here it is it has three chapters so far and they are short. :-\  http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7972174/1/the_46_hunger_games
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

Primrosewarrior

MatthiasMan

Hmmm. Don't know what to say.  :-\

Primrosewarrior

I liked it. you should write more, maddie.

gorath

My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

Dannflower Reguba

"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Mad Maudie

Quote from: Primrosewarrior on April 14, 2012, 11:06:40 PM
I liked it. you should write more, maddie.

don't you mean Maudie? oh i am getting this shirt it's coming soon
Cause you are the piece of me I wish I didn't need
Chasing relentlessly and I don't know why
If our love's tragedy why are you my remedy?
If our love's insanity why are you my clarity?
Why are you my clarity?

~Clarity~~Zedd~

UNKN0WN

<focus your attention on Post 311(page 8 )>

I don't like the fact that other teenagers murder other teenagers for sport (even for food for others)

Rainshadow

Yeah, that may be gross, but you have to admit that it's a good series.  It's very interesting if you aren't grossed out by that sort of thing, which I'm not.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

SpiderMonkey

Quote from: U.N.K.N.O.W.N. on August 22, 2012, 05:46:44 PM
I don't like the fact that other teenagers murder other teenagers for sport (even for food for others)

Most of them were required to join, only a few volunteered.  It is a bit sick, but my mom, who gets easily grossed out by gore, enjoyed them thoroughly. Although the third one is a bit dull IMO.

Rainshadow

Yeah, I guess the third one was boring because

Mockingjay
  There are no Hunger Games in it.
[close]
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

UNKN0WN

Quote from: Rainshadow on August 24, 2012, 02:02:37 AM
  Yeah, that may be gross, but you have to admit that it's a good series.  It's very interesting if you aren't grossed out by that sort of thing, which I'm not.

I'm not grossed out about it, the morality of the main character [got] way off  (author edit: check this post, I said this wrong and corrected it a bit in brackets)

I meant this: She had great motives, but she tried to reach her goal using the wrong methods

Lily

Quote from: U.N.K.N.O.W.N. on August 24, 2012, 03:56:55 AM
Quote from: Rainshadow on August 24, 2012, 02:02:37 AM

I'm not grossed out about it, the morality of the main character is way off
How so? She thinks the games are abhorrent just like the rest of us. Yes, she has her flaws, but that's kind of the point. She's not perfect.

The whole point of the series is that The Hunger Games are an awful, awful way of keeping the citizens of the districts in line. It's not about glorifying violence, Katniss' narration makes that very clear.

UNKN0WN

she could have chosen to not participate (not give-in to torture or intimidation)

Dawnwing

Quote from: U.N.K.N.O.W.N. on August 24, 2012, 06:55:31 AM
she could have chosen to not participate (not give-in to torture or intimidation)
And she just would have died brutally, scarring her sister for life and robbing her family of its only breadwinner. Her sister was the world to her; she would never just allow that to happen if she could help it. As it was, the only people that she personally meant to kill were Marvel (she was trying to save Rue) and Cato (which was a mercy kill).  It's not like she was one of the Career tributes hunting down everyone because she wanted to win glory.  Even if she didn't fight, it wouldn't stop the others from fighting.  The "Careers" in particular are raised to see it as a normal thing - this can be compared to abortion in our society; there was a time when pretty much anyone would have been horrified by the idea, whereas nowadays it's a regular thing and many people choose to do it, seeing nothing wrong with it.  In the second book, Katniss does hope for a brief moment that all the tributes would just decide not to fight, but she accepts that that won't happen.  But in the arena, she did what she could to try to slap the Capitol in the face - just look at the berry thing and how she covered Rue in flowers.