Redwall in something other than English

Started by Osu, June 27, 2011, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osu

Quote from: LilyWell, molespeech is the strangest Japanese I've ever read! I read a few blogs written by Japanese people who read the series, and it seems to be a mixture of several different dialects like Nagoya-ben and Kansai-ben. Interesting.
Oh hey! Would you be willing to link me to any of those blogs, if they're still around? :D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Lily

Quote from: Osu on July 01, 2011, 07:50:30 PM
Quote from: LilyWell, molespeech is the strangest Japanese I've ever read! I read a few blogs written by Japanese people who read the series, and it seems to be a mixture of several different dialects like Nagoya-ben and Kansai-ben. Interesting.
Oh hey! Would you be willing to link me to any of those blogs, if they're still around? :D
Sure thing! They're from years ago, but they're still there.
This person talks about Mariel of Redwall
Mossflower is the third review down.
This page has information about the different species found in Redwall. You might have to change your browser's encoding to view this page properly. I use firefox and I had to change the encoding to Japanese (EUC-JP).

Enjoy. :)

Osu

Tiria Wildlough

I hope I can get my hands on a Redwall book in Spanish. Spanish is about the only language I can read fairly fluently. It would be exciting, but the little songs might not rhyme.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

The question is, with Redwall translated into allegedly 29 langauges, what are those languages?
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lily

I don't know where it says 29 languages, but according to the Redwall wiki's book cover gallery, the series has been translated into the following languages: English, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian, and Hungarian. Wikipedia also lists Bulgarian, Czech, and Danish. That makes 19.

That book cover gallery is worth a look if you haven't seen it before. It's really interesting to see the artwork from the different countries.

Osu

Assuming wikipedia isn't lying, what on earth are those other 10 translations? Chinese must be in there, I'm sure?

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Not sure. Really, there's no documentation about them to be found.

Osu

Hmmm. Somebody's information is touch crossed somewhere... I know there's a quote from BJ on how many translations there are, I don't suppose anybody can recall it off the top of their head...?

Matthias720

Quote from: Osu on July 14, 2011, 01:06:51 AM
Assuming wikipedia isn't lying, what on earth are those other 10 translations? Chinese must be in there, I'm sure?
Well I know one of them is Braille, but beyond that, I don't know.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

That might not count. Technically, that's either English or another language.

Osu

I'd forgotten about Braille. Still, that leaves nine others... argh

daskar666

I read books 1-11 in Russian first (and then reread them in English).

Wydran Riverpaw

Last week I got back from my vacation in Poland, and while I was there, I was able to pick up the Polish version of Redwall!! :D Anyone interested in hearing about things I've noticed in the translation?

Tiria Wildlough

Nice! I'm currently saving up for The Sable Quean. When I've finished with that, I'll save up for a Redwall book in Spanish. ;D
(I have enough money for The Sable Quean, now it's just a matter of ordering it. ;))
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.