Discuss! Which books to movie projects do you like? Which don't you like?

Started by Redwallfan7, April 03, 2012, 03:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwallfan7

Talk about which book to movie films you liked, and which ones you weren't such a big fan of

For example, we  have InkHeart. I loved the first book in the  Triology by Cornelia Funke, but the movie was way too fast paced, had bad actors, and did the book no justice.

I DO like some movies out of books: For Example, I like both the movies and the books in The Chronicles of Narnia

"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Coobreedan

In the How to Train Your Dragon books Hiccup is best friends with a skinny boy called Fishlegs. In the film, Fishlegs is fat and he barely even knows who Hiccup is! In the books Hiccup has a small green dragon called Toothless, in the film Toothless is a massive black dragon!
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Bragoon

Inkheart was one that's already been mentioned.

The Prince Caspian movie was painful.  The love interest they added in between Caspian and Susan was the single worst addition to a movie that wasn't in the book that I've ever seen.  Voyage of the Dawn Treader wasn't great, but acceptable.

All the new movies they're making of books like Dr. Seuss' and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs are appalling. 

Lord of the Rings was midland.
The list goes on and on.

But, I think The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was reasonably faithful, and the recent adaptation of True Grit was surprisingly faithful. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Wolfstar

To be honest, I don't judge a movie that is based from a book, but that is just me.
Happy and kind.

psybox

Alice in wonderland (i mean the old Disney cartoon), however its so cute i am forced to forgive it.

White One6193

Quote from: Bragoon on April 03, 2012, 05:23:54 PM
The Prince Caspian movie was painful.  The love interest they added in between Caspian and Susan was the single worst addition to a movie that wasn't in the book that I've ever seen.  Voyage of the Dawn Treader wasn't great, but acceptable.

But, I think The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was reasonably faithful, and the recent adaptation of True Grit was surprisingly faithful. 

Actually, the love interest twixt Caspian and Susan was written in. "There was a longing look that passed between them" but it was never as fleshed out as Disney decided to show.

But they did make Peter into a roaring jerk. WHICH WAS COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY!
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Lily

Two that I can think of are I, Robot and I am Legend. While I enjoyed both movies, they bore little resemblance to the source work. I, Robot borrowed Asimov's three laws of robotics, and... that's about it. The I am Legend movie, in my opinion, was a completely unrecognisable adaptation that ignored the whole point of the book.

I never expect the movie adaptation to be better than the book, but I do expect the movie to capture the essence of the books and portray it in a different medium. I think the movie of The Hunger Games did this quite well and I think the two examples above failed miserably.

Edit: I just realised that both of the movies I mentioned starred Will Smith! I didn't mean to pick on him, I like his work.

DanielofRedwall

Inkheart has been mentioned. Dreadful. Although, I do have to disagree with you on the actors, the acting I thought was really great. Unfortunately everything else wasn't.

I didn't enjoy Prince Caspian. I recently did a big assessment where you picked someone, researched everything about them and then do a whole heap of things based on what you find. I picked C.S Lewis and found out he was very apposed to movies made of his books. I see why now. Although, Bragoon is right, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was pretty accurate.

Stormbreaker was pretty shocking. Alex Rider is such a good book series, but they really messed up that movie. Strange, considering the author wrote the script and even had a minor role in the film.

Legend of the Guardians was painful to watch if you're a fan of Ga'Hoole. They totally messed up the storyline. I just couldn't enjoy it for this reason, which is a shame because it was actually a good film. They just changed way too much.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Søren

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on April 04, 2012, 08:48:53 AM

Legend of the Guardians was painful to watch if you're a fan of Ga'Hoole. They totally messed up the storyline. I just couldn't enjoy it for this reason, which is a shame because it was actually a good film. They just changed way too much.
The movie of Legend of the Guardians actully got me stared on the book series. To me  they were both good.

I'm retired from the forum

Dannflower Reguba

"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Nightfire

Quote from: Coobreedan on April 03, 2012, 03:30:58 PM
In the How to Train Your Dragon books Hiccup is best friends with a skinny boy called Fishlegs. In the film, Fishlegs is fat and he barely even knows who Hiccup is! In the books Hiccup has a small green dragon called Toothless, in the film Toothless is a massive black dragon!

I agree that there was a lot of changes, but I actually think the movie was better than the books. Toothless is more....realistic in the movie.

And the Twilight movies totally ruined the books. I HATE the Twilight movies, even though I love the series.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Dannflower Reguba

Our entire family dislikes the twilight series.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Bragoon on April 03, 2012, 05:23:54 PM

The Prince Caspian movie was painful.  The love interest they added in between Caspian and Susan was the single worst addition to a movie that wasn't in the book that I've ever seen. 
Yeah, I didn't like that part. Where did that come from?
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Bragoon

WhiteOne says it was in the books, but I don't remember it.  I haven't read them in a long time though, so I defer to his reference. 

Still, whether it was there or not, I think it would have been better to deliberately shy away from it instead of drawing attention to it, due to Susan's impending fall.   
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

MatthiasMan

I HATE TWILIGHT. It's the worst thing in the world.  ;D ;D ;D